Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barker to Swindon, confirmed - undisc. fee

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Well, yes.

We can but hope. Bournemouth are a noddy little club but seem to have lucked out in recent years with young strikers, selling on Brett Pitman, Sam Vokes, Josh McQuoid and Danny Ings. Someone at that club knows how to teach kids to finish.

We, on the other hand, turn out endless solid central defenders. Handy, but less exciting.

You would hope the investment we're spending includes the coaches we need, not just the infrastructure. I agree there's not been a lot coming through, especially in the attacking end of the pitch.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
All this money that's been invested in the new training facilities & Academy- wouldn't it be amazing if one day we actually developed a striker who went on to better things?

Or at least turned into a useful first team goalscorer. Just that would do me. I'm not greedy.

Well the last time spurs produced their own decent local player was 15 years ago (Ledley), likewise with Chelsea (terry).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well the last time spurs produced their own decent local player was 15 years ago (Ledley), likewise with Chelsea (terry).

But I'm not comparing us with them.

And it's undoubtedly harder for young players to get in the squad at clubs like Chelsea & Spurs, given the money they spend on players. But that's the path they choose. Other clubs, like United (Welbeck, Giggs, Scholes) and Liverpool (Owen, Fowler) do seem to make the effort to bring through their own talent.

For a club of our means & position, however, developing potential first team players is pretty important, and as regards strikers, that's something we've historically been crap at. It's like the ghost of Richard Tiltman stalks the corridors where the development squad train.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm surprised we got a fee and he went to League 1, best of luck to him, he's going to need it.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Don't forget Swindon were once in the Premier League and any team that's been in the top flight since 1992 is automatically bigger than us.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm surprised we got a fee and he went to League 1, best of luck to him, he's going to need it.

Strikers are unique animals, if he scores off his arse in his first game who knows where it will take him.

Its easy offering likely failure, that's the odds on for most players, I hope he does great.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What's annoying is that you just know that within MONTHS (maybe even WEEKS) of the new training academy opening, people will be on here moaning that the quality of our youngsters hasn't improved yet.

I think realistically you need to allow 3-4 years MINIMUM from the new facility opening, before we should expect some serious improvements.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
What's annoying is that you just know that within MONTHS (maybe even WEEKS) of the new training academy opening, people will be on here moaning that the quality of our youngsters hasn't improved yet.

I think realistically you need to allow 3-4 years MINIMUM from the new facility opening, before we should expect some serious improvements.

Possibly, but we could attract 15/16/17 year-olds if we have the set up. We don't have to start from scratch locally.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

I think you're RIGHT there.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Possibly, but we could attract 15/16/17 year-olds if we have the set up. We don't have to start from scratch locally.

Well thats hardly development then.

What players do you think we could now attract that we cannot already and from which club are we now able compete for these signatures, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Probably the same people who moan that the likes of Barker aren't given a chance to shine, without considering that the management staff who see them every single day might not consider that they're worthy of that chance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barker still has time on his side.
He undoubtedly has ability - not entirely convinced he has the attitude but with Luke Williams to support him he at least has every chance. I think Harley is doing as well there as most Albion fans would expect but Kasim is doing really well and seems to have overcome his anger management problems.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good luck to him, but he was nowhere near good enough and I'm surprised Swindon have taken a gamble.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here