Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Bari and Brindisi trip help

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Off to Bari and Brindisi/Taranto area in Sept.

Any advice on trips from the great and good of NSC? Very
interested in WW2 tours and culture stuff/days out. Anything
really.

ta muchly,
UTA

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I was looking at a villa near Putignano earlier and wondered what the roads are like to drive on..

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I’m in Castro in South Puglia returning tomorrow. I have no idea of WW2 history but I enjoyed the old parts of the larger towns and in particular the Trulli houses around Alberobello. If I had time we would have gone over to Materra West of Puglia which sounds fascinating. If you are into swimming or snorkelling the sea is so clear and the beaches should be quieter when you are here.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I’m in Castro in South Puglia returning tomorrow. I have no idea of WW2 history but I enjoyed the old parts of the larger towns and in particular the Trulli houses around Alberobello. If I had time we would have gone over to Materra West of Puglia which sounds fascinating. If you are into swimming or snorkelling the sea is so clear and the beaches should be quieter when you are here.
Did you happen to see many people cycling about and if so did they look like they were enjoying life?
Planning a Brindisi - Taranto velo jaunt for next year

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Did you happen to see many people cycling about and if so did they look like they were enjoying life?
I saw a few road bikes today but they were nutters as it was 30 degrees first thing and it got up to 38 in Castro this afternoon. The harbour wall has a big painted adverts about a local cycle competition here in October, possibly mountain biking . If you are into road biking then there are some good hill climbs with sea views all along the coast.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Puglia is great but I'd go early spring late autumn when the weather is cooler.
If you want a chance to win a parkrun I suggest https://www.parkrun.it/salento/
Great course set away from towns in a national park. The Italians all bring incredible cakes along for all to eat. Two of us NSC runners have a Gold medal from there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cyclists generally look miserable, like as soon as they squeeze themselves into that Lycra they are ashamed of their life decisions
Now I’m sure I’ve got some popcorn, I wonder where I put it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That's quick, even for this place.

11posts in and the thread is derailed already.

PS No idea about Bari - sorry.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Bari is a very nice place once you get into the city. The old town is beautiful. Quite a few places to eat that are surprisingly (or were) very good value for money and the food was delicious. Parking is a nightmare!!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Is Polignano as over touristy as it looks?
Yes, when we were there last week. It may be quieter once the local school holidays end I suppose. The “ famous” cove beach was packed but the swimming in that cove is superb. All clear warm water. Any of my beach posing however was put in its place by the locals doing 20m backflip dives off the cliff into the cove though.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Swam Poligano. As SSB has stated it’s beautiful but out of season it will be much, much quieter. Getting in and out of the water is quite hard any street cred I had disappeared in an instant.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Matera in Basilicata with its Sassi caves is worth visiting, as is Lecce which has a historical feel. The tomb of St Nicholas (Santa Claus!) in Bari is interesting. Got around Puglia on local trains. Try orecchiette pasta, little ears, with some local red wine.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Off to Bari and Brindisi/Taranto area in Sept.

Any advice on trips from the great and good of NSC? Very
interested in WW2 tours and culture stuff/days out. Anything
really.

ta muchly,
UTA
Taranto was where the fleet air arm using swordfish bi-planes destroyed a lot of the Italian fleet in WW2. Japanese used it as a basis for Pearl Harbour plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here