Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barely recognised Stockdale

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought that we made it clear to him that he wasn’t going to be No 1 keeper though? Can hardly blame him for deciding to for elsewhere as a first choice. Again just what I heard but being a pie eater and salad dodger who wasn’t controlling his weight was also a concern to the club.

All the above is just hearsay though.

Think we only offered him a year too whereas Brum offered three years. The club appear to have got this one right, sadly.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I won’t forget how he was instrumental in our promotion or that he cost us the title :lolol:

In that instant vs Villa, sure, the title went but he didn't cost us the title. Losing 2-0 to Norwich, then 0-1 to Bristol City cost us the title. That and all of our players being p!ssed for the last 3 games.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I won’t forget how he was instrumental in our promotion or that he cost us the title :lolol:

Still think that was his parting gesture to the club!

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 14.28.19 1.png

Incase anyone didn't see the close up of his reaction to our 4th goal. Priceless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE6J-947KR8 - At 2:46

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
View attachment 113625

Incase anyone didn't see the close up of his reaction to our 4th goal. Priceless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE6J-947KR8 - At 2:46

Stockdale did alright for us. Every keeper let's in the odd goal he could do better with, but he was an important part of our promo team to the Prem. He wasn't going to be first choice, so when Harry Redknapp offered him more jam rolypoly than he could eat on a long term deal with a fat pay packet, who can blame him for moving on. He wasn't wanted here any more. Shame it didn't work out, but that's football and I imagine it's been a tough time for him. I was pleased to see him getting a game for Birmingham and also that he has got himself back in shape. That kit looked like it was from his 'broader across the beam' days, so I hope he gets a successful run for Birmingham.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That win against Wednesday when we were down to 10 and won the game, forever lives in my memory as the moment I truly started believing it was our year, nothing but respect for him. Sure he left us for more money but plenty of players over the years have done that, doesn’t tarnish my opinion of the bloke. Looks over weight in the picture but I don’t think it’s as bad as many of you make out either, yes he’s a ‘professional athlete’ but even athletes aren’t infallable to bad habits.

I’m similar to him in that pounds go on and off easily for me, recently went all inclusive abroad, came back 4lb heavier, week after I came back I was back to ‘normal’ again, I know is a bit of banter but it’s quite harmful to people in this age of social media where everyone can pretty much talk to anyone directy or indirectly.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Stockdale did alright for us. Every keeper let's in the odd goal he could do better with, but he was an important part of our promo team to the Prem. He wasn't going to be first choice, so when Harry Redknapp offered him more jam rolypoly than he could eat on a long term deal with a fat pay packet, who can blame him for moving on. He wasn't wanted here any more. Shame it didn't work out, but that's football and I imagine it's been a tough time for him. I was pleased to see him getting a game for Birmingham and also that he has got himself back in shape. That kit looked like it was from his 'broader across the beam' days, so I hope he gets a successful run for Birmingham.

This, certain posters love to hate our players and seem to forget had Murray played the simple ball to Baldock instead of cocking that pass up we would have been 2 nil up and the title was ours

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In that instant vs Villa, sure, the title went but he didn't cost us the title. Losing 2-0 to Norwich, then 0-1 to Bristol City cost us the title. That and all of our players being p!ssed for the last 3 games.

This. Simplistic to blame Stockdale for losing us the title in typical Albion farcical style. With a few honourable exceptions, it's the players who went on the piss from the moment we won promotion who cost us the title. Typically thick UK footballers. Could have had a Winners medal to show their grandkids. Instead they'd rather have a Stella. Wankers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This, certain posters love to hate our players and seem to forget had Murray played the simple ball to Baldock instead of cocking that pass up we would have been 2 nil up and the title was ours

I agree. I groaned when that happened.

It's a shame that posters have to be so bitchy about past players. It's almost as if they want them to fail so they are justified in their bitchiness.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The Norwich game had two freak goals in, from a player with a point to prove. I agree on the Bristol City game though. Absolutely no excuse for that, we were absolutely dreadful.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This. Simplistic to blame Stockdale for losing us the title in typical Albion farcical style. With a few honourable exceptions, it's the players who went on the piss from the moment we won promotion who cost us the title. Typically thick UK footballers. Could have had a Winners medal to show their grandkids. Instead they'd rather have a Stella. Wankers.

cdcc60f68c2065253dd234949cf7d58b.jpg

Yup. We'd have seen our captain Bruno proudly hoisting this famous, grand old trophy for BHA. A trophy that I'd seen numerous times in my childhood being held up by the League champions of the time (mainly Liverpool).

Still, really enjoyed that opera singer at least :facepalm:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I don't get why everyone's saying he looks massively overweight in the OPs pick, he was always quite broad compared to the more lanky keepers you see these.

Plus that was from the first day of pre season. The point of pre season is to get into shape, the volume, type of training he would have been doing and his age, will mean he can easily drop weight in a short period of time.

Odd.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Massive part of the successful promotion season and will be remembered fondly for that but the trajectory of his career and performances since suggest the club were bang on in moving him on

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The very winnable home game against Bristol City was the key. On the day the players were outfought and outplayed, too comfy with the promotion, no edge..

At that point I guessed that a still very focused Newcastle would be crowned champs. We’ve been shite at Carrow Road all my Albion days, and mega spending Villa’s players (and their scummy fans) were desperate to spoil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here