Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barcelona looking for a new manager

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I have a mate who’s a tabloid journalist (not on sport) and he said yesterday that he’d heard from the sports guys that Klopp will go to Barca. And then of course this news on Xavi today very much aligns with that. Hope that’s right, as I think RDZ would be high on Barca’s list (and he’ll go if offered - for all the great things about managing us, we’re not Barcelona…)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I take comfort that he's not fancied for the Crewe job - they've sussed he's a fraud.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 23.36.03.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have a mate who’s a tabloid journalist (not on sport) and he said yesterday that he’d heard from the sports guys that Klopp will go to Barca. And then of course this news on Xavi today very much aligns with that. Hope that’s right, as I think RDZ would be high on Barca’s list (and he’ll go if offered - for all the great things about managing us, we’re not Barcelona…)
I can't see Klopp taking another job for the beginning of next season - he wants a break. The high-pressured environment of Barcelona isn't going to give him that.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Rafa Marquez seems more likely I think. Would be lovely if Guardiola pissed off back there.

Absolutely no chance for Pep's return.

Also no way Klopp takes over although I'm sure media will run some stories about him. Man looks exhausted and genuinely wants to rest for a year or two. Or maybe take over some NT job that comes with less day to day pressure.

Thiago Motta was reported as a favorite of our SD Deco. Will probably be Laporta choosing the next manager and not Deco though so who knows.

At least I would prefer Motta over Marquez. He at least has experience coaching in a top 5 league and doing a fine job at Bologna. We shouldn't really go with another inexperienced manager like Rafa. Which is why we'll probably hire him in the end as we have a history of doing so.

Over the last 20 years - Rijkaard, Pep, Tito Villanova, Tata Martino, Luis Enrique, Koeman, Setien, Xavi. None of them really did anything special in their (coaching) careers before we hired them. Valverde was by far the most proven and had some success with Athletic Bilbao and Olympiacos but wasn't considered as anything more than (maybe a bit above) average La Liga manager at the time although I've always liked and rated him more than most fans.

Really doubt any "outside" manager without previous links to Barca will want to take over the club in current financial state. But there were reports before we've hired Xavi in 2021 that Laporta likes German style so Nagelsmann and Hansi Flick were both interesting to him but just got their new jobs at the time. Now Flick is free and Nagelsmann is only under contract with Germany until the end of Euros. So might approach one of them.

But as said much more likely we'll choose another former player like Motta or Marquez.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Get a grip guys. RDZ isn't getting the Barca job until he's won things. He's also more loyal than some give him credit for I suspect.

Look at the list of our former managers I've mentioned in previous post. Most of them were far less proven than RDZ is rn and have not won much if anything in their careers before getting Barca job.

They were either:
1. former players - Guardiola, Vilanova (he was also Pep's assistant coach), Luis Enrique, Valverde, Koeman and Xavi and/or
2. Dutch (Rijkaard, Koeman)

Only exceptions were
- Tata Martino who never coached in Europe before or after his one season at Barca. He was an emergency hire after Tito Vilanova resigned for health reasons (he died 8 months later from cancer) in mid-July when most teams already had their coaches and we didn't have much to select from.

- Quique Setien - hired mid season when Valverde was sacked. Previously had midtable La Liga teams like Las Palmas and Betis playing some good football which made the club believe he had that famous "Barca DNA". Only lasted 6 months and ended with 8-2 spanking by Bayern in that (first) Covid season.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there. When they realise De Zerbi’s release clause is c£10m it may well put them off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC De Zerbi can leave without compensation during the summer.

Either way, I don't believe Barca will go for him. He'll probably be considered but not amongst the favorites.

And I think Xabi Alonso is Liverpool bound so could see RDZ staying for another year and then go to City if Pep leaves.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Behave. RDZ has achieved nothing, his defensive frailties are not good enough to be serious contenders at a top club where trophies are required every season.

In the future probably but now? Unlikely
This, it’s laughable people are linking him with all the top jobs. Three wins in 15 league games isn’t exactly tearing it up. Like Potter before him he gets away with it here at a top club like the ones mentioned you get sacked.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Also no way Klopp takes over although I'm sure media will run some stories about him. Man looks exhausted and genuinely wants to rest for a year or two. Or maybe take over some NT job that comes with less day to day pressure.
National Trust? Like, serving scones and tea in the cafe at some Manor House in Shropshire? Can’t see it myself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He's a mercenary like the rest of them
Hopefully we can win a cup before he goes
I'd suggest most of us are mercenries - I assume you do your job for being paid rather than the love of it ? Would you do it for free ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People on here worry too much.
Indeed.

The post match interview yesterday was fine. At the end RDZ was asked if he wants to manage Liverpool and he gave the stock answer about being focused on his job. He didn't even bat an eyelid.

RDZ has won f*** all, and can't seem to work out how to get us to keep a clean sheet. Imagining that the whole world wants him as their manager is naïve.

Anyway......it is what it is.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If either Liverpool or Barcelona come in for him, he’s gone :down:

I get the impression he’s no longer enjoying managing us.
I agree with your first sentence but see no evidence to back the second. If you are basing it on post match interviews then that is a bit flimsy. The bloke has to put up with inane questions whilst making sure he says nothing of substance for fear it will be misconstrued. The only relationships in the club that matter in this regard are between Bloom, Barber and RDZ and those are not played out in public.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed.

The post match interview yesterday was fine. At the end RDZ was asked if he wants to manage Liverpool and he gave the stock answer about being focused on his job. He didn't even bat an eyelid.

RDZ has won f*** all, and can't seem to work out how to get us to keep a clean sheet. Imagining that the whole world wants him as their manager is naïve.

Anyway......it is what it is.
Harsh. Very very harsh H. That clean sheet thing is a by-product of the swashbuckling forward play. Tho having both would be nice, would far rather have a team that can't defend for toffee than a team that can't score for toffee. That's entertainment!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Still feels like the blokes only been here 5 mins and enjoys the job and project and won’t go anywhere… But you never know in football. He’s young and has many years ahead of him.
Sadly that’s exactly what I thought when we had Potter but it didn’t stop him jumping ship for bright lights and fat paycheque

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
AFTER RDZ resignation!!!Right Potter...you've been to Chelsea and got shafted by Boehly, you've had a nice little break and richer for it. Now being the educated one you profess to be let's hope you've learnt watching how RDZ had us playing. Up for the Job...your hired!
Er, no.....let's move on shall we

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here