Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber's transfer "insight"

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im surprised at his comments but as CEO I spose he has to talk to us like we are idiots.

However

I am surprised because Barbs went to great lengths (in corp speak distance himself) from the summer recruitment by making it quite clear he was in no way responsible or involved in any way at all that he was involved in transfers in. Only out and getting max income is his remit.

To be fair that bit he does very well.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cant see anything in that article to be negative about ..its pity some people do seem to have an agenda re Mr B (not necessarily the OP)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's not just FB and Twitter, although I rarely look at those, but it's on here as well.

Some people still get really hung up on headline transfer fees. They want to see the club splashing millions because, for some reason, they do seem to believe that is the main element of player expenditure. Look at how many comments we have where people talk about the club doing last season on the cheap, despite repeated statements from the club about last season having our highest playing budget ever.

Just because the money wasn't spent well, doesn't mean it wasn't spent at all.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Absolutely just read the comments our "fans" make on the Facebook and Twitter feeds after the club post something, talk about embarrassing.

I've stopped reading the comments on Facebook updates, some of them are embarrassing. It's like the most idiotic and brainless fans have decided to congregate on the one platform. Maybe they'll take on the Argus comments section for world domination.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I read that as free transfers aren't cheap. I'm therefore not holding my breath for 'big' signings.

McShane would have been perfect, especially with the Irish kids we've scouted with the DS. Zamora would have been perfect to add intelligence and quality to our forward play. Sadly, there's nothing there to indicate we're in that ballpark, wage wise.

As it stands with Teixeira gone we're looking at plenty more games with one goal or less.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Judging by nsc, most people think the transfer value is the only money involved in football and free transfers are volunteers.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Not particularly a Barber fan or hater, but I find it hard to see anything wrong or patronising about that interview. I don't think it has any bearing on future signings.Can't see what the problem is.

Indeed. Pretty straight forward and nothing we didn't already know. People just like to moan for the sake of it, before anything has happened. If we sign Zamora, then I'll be moaning.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Seems that he reiterated what he said when a guest on the Albion Roar back in April - almost word for word. All makes sense and clarified and confirms my understanding of playing staff costs.

In response to the question about fans not understanding the costs of a 'free' transfer: Judging from messages posted here, I do believe that there are plenty of fans that only take transfer fees into account where spending is concerned.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I didn't see too much wrong with the article. In terms of patronising, he will have a wide range of readership and can't assume everyone will be aware that it still costs to sign a free transfer, that not paying a transfer fee might mean we can spend more on other aspects like wages.

And I don't think he is implying nothing else will happen.

That seems pretty much spot on.

It doesn't take much to find comments from people that believe that signing a few players on free transfers means that there's a warchest somewhere just waiting to be cracked open.

I'm firmly of the belief that PB will be blamed for any perceived failings of the club this year, again, regardless of whether it makes sense.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I honestly thought free transfers were completey free & we didn't have to pay any signing on fee or in fact any wages. In fact I was under the impression that if a premier league player came to us he would actually pay US something. So that's not the case?
Thankfully we have Mr Barber to put us straight on these things that are just so difficult to grasp for us mere fans.
Thank God for the direct debit otherwise I don't know how I'd manage to pay the club every month. Money which they obviously need for these very expensive & difficult to understand free signings.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I honestly thought free transfers were completey free & we didn't have to pay any signing on fee or in fact any wages. In fact I was under the impression that if a premier league player came to us he would actually pay US something. So that's not the case?
Thankfully we have Mr Barber to put us straight on these things that are just so difficult to grasp for us mere fans.
Thank God for the direct debit otherwise I don't know how I'd manage to pay the club every month. Money which they obviously need for these very expensive & difficult to understand free signings.

Just because you're one of the enlightened ones, that does not mean everyone else has that save level of understanding.

As I said above - there are plenty on NSC who are eagerly waiting to see the club spend £5m up front on a striker as a signal of intent.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Just because you're one of the enlightened ones, that does not mean everyone else has that save level of understanding.

As I said above - there are plenty on NSC who are eagerly waiting to see the club spend £5m up front on a striker as a signal of intent.

Like Derby? - a similar sized club with similar resources I presume who have an outstanding chance of being promoted.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Barber could have been hinting that we will sign Zamora, and it will be a 'free', but in fact will cost a lot of money, so don't expect a big fee spent on another player. Sounds reasonable.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Like Derby? - a similar sized club with similar resources I presume who have an outstanding chance of being promoted.

I'd be worried about the Albion if we'd spent like Derby have this Summer and, again, it's not just the fees they've paid, but they must have made a huge wages commitment too.

If they get promoted which, as you say, they should have a decent chance of, then their approach will have paid off. If they don't get promoted though, they could end up in trouble.

I'll also remind you that Wigan were favourites for promotion last season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd be worried about the Albion if we'd spent like Derby have this Summer and, again, it's not just the fees they've paid, but they must have made a huge wages commitment too.

If they get promoted which, as you say, they should have a decent chance of, then their approach will have paid off. If they don't get promoted though, they could end up in trouble.

I'll also remind you that Wigan were favourites for promotion last season.

Plenty of people, me included, also thought that big spending Forest would storm the Championship in each of the past 2 seasons.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

It's terrible, isn't it. But at last now we've been told - even free transfers cost money. I feel so...enlightened, somehow.

I'm already very much looking forward to tomorrow's missive - accompanied by a lovely picture of the great man smiling - headed: If you lot don't spend more money at Falmer next year, the club will have less money to spend on players. Can't wait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here