Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barbers Programme Notes

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
And what would he have said that differed from the official club statement issued in the week.

It's up to him what he says. But some acknowledgement of the situation would have been nice. Even if it was to say he can't comment.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
The Christmas card was an utter waste of money - how many 'customers' valued it? We received 5 (4 STHs in the house + a FotA). Why not do (as most corporates do) send an E-card and give a sum to charity (AitC perhaps?). Another example of the Club not in tune with its fans/customers.

There are probably only 150 or so FotA members, so it wouldn't have taken much for a personal card to be sent (not that it was especially necessary anyway). I don't think that many corporates would have appreciated a generic pre-printed Christmas card - especially one that was indistinguishable from that sent to 24,000STHs.

It's a great shame that the Club can't be more targeted in its use of 'big data'.

And before BG has a go at me for bearing a grudge about the 'new regime' - I don't and it's not so new either. I have mentioned this and other points to the Club in a constructive way, in the hope that that together we can get the Club onto a better footing with its fan base.

Maybe PB's programme notes in the New Year will start to address (and satisfactorily resolve) the growing list of points/issues that irritate/annoy the supporters, rather than PB expressing his disappointment at fans voicing their views about the dire quality of football that we have paid to watch.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Christmas card was an utter waste of money - how many 'customers' valued it?

Oh. I liked mine very much thanks. It reminded me of my Junior Seagulls days when they'd send me one on my birthday.

Call me easily pleased, but yes, it took pride of place on the shelf, ahead of a fair few of the lesser relatives :thumbsup:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Oh. I liked mine very much thanks. It reminded me of my Junior Seagulls days when they'd send me one on my birthday.

Call me easily pleased, but yes, it took pride of place on the shelf, ahead of a fair few of the lesser relatives :thumbsup:

I only wish I'd know you were that easily pleased when I was single

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Christmas card was an utter waste of money - how many 'customers' valued it? We received 5 (4 STHs in the house + a FotA). Why not do (as most corporates do) send an E-card and give a sum to charity (AitC perhaps?). Another example of the Club not in tune with its fans/customers.

The £10 off was a nice touch as was extending it. I was pretty "meh" about my card but my 8 year old boy loved his, It was easily his favourite card. IMO the club did this very well. However.......

Maybe PB's programme notes in the New Year will start to address (and satisfactorily resolve) the growing list of points/issues that irritate/annoy the supporters, rather than PB expressing his disappointment at fans voicing their views about the dire quality of football that we have paid to watch.

This. All. Day. Long.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

There are probably only 150 or so FotA members, so it wouldn't have taken much for a personal card to be sent (not that it was especially necessary anyway). I don't think that many corporates would have appreciated a generic pre-printed Christmas card - especially one that was indistinguishable from that sent to 24,000STHs.

It's a great shame that the Club can't be more targeted in its use of 'big data'.

And before BG has a go at me for bearing a grudge about the 'new regime' - I don't and it's not so new either. I have mentioned this and other points to the Club in a constructive way, in the hope that that together we can get the Club onto a better footing with its fan base.

"Big Data" is an overused term, often used inapproprately as above :)

However many addresses the company have on the databases it is not "big data" and neither is Manchester United's.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He has a done a brilliant job getting the finances under control but I find it odd he is doing the programme notes.

Has he? Really? He's done better than Ken from Millwall but that's hardly much proof. Biggest crowds, expensive tickets, most beer and pies consumed. Is it really such a performance to get under an 8m loss? Even ignoring the players sold. ..

Then consider the negative impact he's had. Hardly a good return from the investment in him as far as I'm concerned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Has he? Really? He's done better than Ken from Millwall but that's hardly much proof. Biggest crowds, expensive tickets, most beer and pies consumed. Is it really such a performance to get under an 8m loss? Even ignoring the players sold. ..

Then consider the negative impact he's had. Hardly a good return from the investment in him as far as I'm concerned.

There's the Barber Dichotomy in one phrase. People say "he's not responsible for what happens on the field" but apparently he is responsible for the revenue accrued by selling our best players. Ergo he HAS to affect the on pitch performances because, even if the new players in are not due to his budget settings the selling of our best players appears in his credits column in the balance sheet. Doesn't it? Or have I missed something?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But Ken Brown was Chief executive and the staffing levels were not his decision alone. His one major ricket seems to be too much new kit stock ordered.

Even the transport cock up wasn't his decision I believe

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The £10 off was a nice touch as was extending it. I was pretty "meh" about my card but my 8 year old boy loved his, It was easily his favourite card. IMO the club did this very well. However.......

This. All. Day. Long.
Or maybe the egotistic fool will stop the embarrassing notes. What is the point other than reducing the number of programmes sold

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Or maybe the egotistic fool will stop the embarrassing notes. What is the point other than reducing the number of programmes sold

How many people on here get a programme when they go away? I would genuinely love to know how many other CEOs in this division have a column in every programme. Bet it's not many.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's the Barber Dichotomy in one phrase. People say "he's not responsible for what happens on the field" but apparently he is responsible for the revenue accrued by selling our best players. Ergo he HAS to affect the on pitch performances because, even if the new players in are not due to his budget settings the selling of our best players appears in his credits column in the balance sheet. Doesn't it? Or have I missed something?

I think so, yes.

I believe he's involved in the negotiations when a player is to be sold, but does not make the sale/no sale decision.

I'm trying to think back to the players we have sold - Buckley, Bridcutt, Barnes, Ulloa and El Abd are the ones I recall - although I'm sure I've missed some. To the best of my knowledge the valuations received are all on the upside of what I think most would have expected to receive, with the £10m+ we will get for Ulloa surely a fantastic bit of business.

I don't think we can blame him for the 'replacements' of Baldock and O'Grady.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

pity I don't have an ST ...........they would make good ground up cat litter

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But Ken Brown was Chief executive and the staffing levels were not his decision alone. His one major ricket seems to be too much new kit stock ordered.

Even the transport cock up wasn't his decision I believe

Wasn't there a big problem with contract extensions written in due to promotion from league one, so we found we had a load of players that we couldn't release?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I believe he's involved in the negotiations when a player is to be sold

That reads suspiciously like "he gets involved to ensure we get a can't-say-no deal when we sell our good players but he's in no way involved in our decline on the pitch."

But what do I know?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
How many people on here get a programme when they go away? I would genuinely love to know how many other CEOs in this division have a column in every programme. Bet it's not many.
I used to get one for my kids but don't bother now, which is down to the Barber effect.

I was wondering about other clubs and their CEO's too - wonder if Tottenham used to have one contributing to their programme a few years ago?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That reads suspiciously like "he gets involved to ensure we get a can't-say-no deal when we sell our good players but he's in no way involved in our decline on the pitch."

But what do I know?

I don't know what you know. It's pretty obvious what you believe however, which is why I hesitated before clicking the 'Post Quick Reply' button.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here