Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barbers Programme Notes

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Fair point. I took the 'singling out people for personal abuse' as a hint towards social media. The rest of that sentence is a you've described.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Do you know what would help the situation, Paul - you doing your job better.

Paying "customers" have every right to complain - and it appears that our complaints were useful afterall - Hyypia & Burke have gone at last. They could have been here a lot longer if it wasn't for our FANS (not customers) voicing our opinions.

I suspect PB is just worried, because TB is in an axe wielding mood and he could well be next... or at least we can hope.

****ing lol. How could he do his job better?

Hyypia didn't go because of fans.

And who else will do the job better? Do you even know what the job role of a CEO is? Because your commentary on football finance is brilliantly illiterate.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Do you know what would help the situation, Paul - you doing your job better.

Paying "customers" have every right to complain - and it appears that our complaints were useful afterall - Hyypia & Burke have gone at last. They could have been here a lot longer if it wasn't for our FANS (not customers) voicing our opinions.

I suspect PB is just worried, because TB is in an axe wielding mood and he could well be next... or at least we can hope.

I'm not sure how you can understand what PB's innermost thoughts are, I personally don't think he worries at all.
Besides why should he worry, he has done all that is expected of him, in particular keeping within FFP.
And though you might consider TB to be charging around like a homicidal maniac leaving a trail of headless torsos in his wake, I'm sure he won't want to rock the boat anymore than it already is.
The question of Supporters V Customers IMO lies entirely with the individual. Over the past three months I've read several posts from NSC users incessantly whinging about our Club, I for one don't consider them Supporters. In fact a number don't even appear to be Customers. We are becoming a home for the needy, who not only demand we win but might also expect free pies a Harvey's and a spliff when we lose.
We have had a horrible run, but we will sometime in the future have an incredibly good one. I don't know when, but it will happen, because history decrees it...its life. :smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Social media sites aren't mentioned.
but singling out individuals for personal abuse or taking frustrations out on our staff simply doesn't help anyone around the club, least of all the players.
I think that is more to do with the fracas that happened between a fan and Paul Watson behind the dugout.

Sorry but everyone from Paul to Sami to Burke to the controller of the twitter account / scoreboard are or were "our staff". Personal abuse I'd agree would be out of order. But "taking frustrations out", what does that mean? If it also means personal abuse why put it in a separate clause? If it doesn't mean that he needs to be a lot more specific.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Since Barber arrived, ignoring the treatment of Gully's Girls, AITC and clackers, fright night, "Be Bold" etc:

We've sacked one of the best managers in the history of the club, in fact paid him to go and sacked him live on TV - one of the most embarrassing things I've experienced as an Albion fan.

We've had two other managers resign in less than a year.

It's taken the entire 2 and a half years to get rid of the bloke who has been reliably wasting our transfer budget on utter gash - and to be fair that was probably down to Tony anyway.

A full house has turned into 10,000 empty seats.

Serious & genuine playoff contenders are now 22nd in the league at Xmas. Amazing how a new CEO can **** up the club on such a monumental scale.

....and all this, while the club has sold its soul, ignored its fanbase, turned the Amex into a "soulless bowl" (as described by countless other fans this season) and the clubs philosophy has become one that is all about commerce and merchandise - "one club, one ambition" indeed.

...sorry I forgot his success with FFP - the financial restrictions imposed on and passed by a majority of the football league. Well done mate, totally worth having you here, while you ruined the club in virtually every other respect.

If you want to see how a CEO can **** things up so much, see his predecessor Ken Brown. You can't blame most of those things above on Barber.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wrong man, wrong club. Still.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
M
Nobody at the club is immune to the disappointment of our season so far - everyone is frustrated and everyone is hurting - but singling out individuals for personal abuse or taking frustrations out on our staff simply doesn't help anyone around the club, least of all the players.

I'd like to have his view on his colleagues who show dismissive contempt for supporters.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I read Paul Barbers notes...not once did he mention customers...it was fans...you ,me and all of us that go. He has fulfilled his remit of keeping us within the the FFP rules (or would you prefer us to be like Leeds,Blackburn and Nottingham Forest) with transfer embargoes...or let's go Gung Ho and make a cull of all the 'suits' PB,TB and the whole board....careful what you wish for....those that booed Glen Murray today,those that booed Ashley Barnes....how many of you would be delighted to take them back. PS,Did notice not all 'fans' booed GM when he was subsituted,some fans stood and clapped him off the pitch.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
but singling out individuals for personal abuse or taking frustrations out on our staff simply doesn't help anyone around the club, least of all the players.
I think that is more to do with the fracas that happened between a fan and Paul Watson behind the dugout.

Probably. But Watson didn't help the situation.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Yes they are. (Though I suspect you're right about it being more a reference to the Paul Watson thing).

Welcome back to the Amex for the final time in 2014. Reading's visit is, of course, our first Boxing Day fixture at the Amex and the first at home on December 26 in half a decade.

I’m writing my notes for today's programme having just arrived back from the West Midlands where the team battled hard for a well-deserved point against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux.

Anyone that made the trip to Wolverhampton would have seen first-hand just how much effort is going in to turning things around on the pitch.

And, not for the first time this season, our players' performance deserved better than the result we secured.

Once again, our travelling support for the team was excellent and it was great to see so many Albion supporters making the near 400-mile round trip just a few days before Christmas.

It's also great to see that nearly 3,000 fans will be getting behind the team at Fulham on Monday evening.

We are, of course, very well aware that our supporters are very disappointed with our current league position. And, yes, it is cause for concern for everyone in the football club.

It is a fact of modern life that some people will take to social media to express their opinions. Others will vent their disappointment at our games.

With expectations for the season so high, we understand why this is happening.

Nobody at the club is immune to the disappointment of our season so far - everyone is frustrated and everyone is hurting - but singling out individuals for personal abuse or taking frustrations out on our staff simply doesn't help anyone around the club, least of all the players.

We now have a lot of work to do to improve our league position. The very best chance we have of doing this, starting today, is by all of us pulling in the same direction, supporting each other, and, most importantly of all, getting behind the players as vociferously as possible.

The matchday atmosphere at the Amex is a hot topic of debate for fans and the club's staff alike. Last week, we hosted around 50 supporters to start a discussion about how, working together, we can improve the noise levels throughout the stadium in 2015.

This dialogue will continue into the New Year and we will involve more supporters as ideas and thoughts start to take shape. Thanks to those supporters who gave up their time last week. It was an extremely valuable and worthwhile start to the process.

We are totally open-minded to moving people around the stadium, if this helps and those supporters likely to be affected by such changes are willing. We are also open to other suggestions to generate more noise if our ground regulations can accommodate them.

Finally, with a busy programme of matches ahead of us in the next few weeks most of which are on the road in London - I want to take this opportunity of thanking you for your support in 2014 and, on behalf of everyone at the club, to wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We've sacked one of the best managers in the history of the club, in fact paid him to go and sacked him live on TV - one of the most embarrassing things I've experienced as an Albion fan.

wow, people still hold on to that myth? BBC decided to make a story of his dismissal at half time, following an earlier press release so it didnt happen "live on TV", as a result of a disciplinary process he knew had completed and knew the likely outcome. go watch the video again, as it was obvious at the time he avoided the direct questions about who told him and if he knew the decision would be that day, then two seconds later told how he was concentrating on the appeal. and this is all Barber's fault?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
wow, people still hold on to that myth? BBC decided to make a story of his dismissal at half time, following an earlier press release so it didnt happen "live on TV", as a result of a disciplinary process he knew had completed and knew the likely outcome. go watch the video again, as it was obvious at the time he avoided the direct questions about who told him and if he knew the decision would be that day, then two seconds later told how he was concentrating on the appeal. and this is all Barber's fault?
Paul Barber admitted the club didn't know that Poyet was on TV that night. I heard him myself. The timing was lousy &
Poyet made the most of it.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I’m writing my notes for today's programme having just arrived back from the West Midlands where the team battled hard for a well-deserved point against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux.

BULLSHIT paragraph that enables him to not talk about Sami.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Welcome back to the Amex for the final time in 2014. Reading's visit is, of course, our first Boxing Day fixture at the Amex and the first at home on December 26 in half a decade.

Anyone that made the trip to Wolverhampton would have seen first-hand just how much effort is going in to turning things around on the pitch.

And, not for the first time this season, our players' performance deserved better than the result we secured.

Once again, our travelling support for the team was excellent and it was great to see so many Albion supporters making the near 400-mile round trip just a few days before Christmas.

It's also great to see that nearly 3,000 fans will be getting behind the team at Fulham on Monday evening.

We are, of course, very well aware that our supporters are very disappointed with our current league position. And, yes, it is cause for concern for everyone in the football club.

It is a fact of modern life that some people will take to social media to express their opinions. Others will vent their disappointment at our games.

With expectations for the season so high, we understand why this is happening.

We now have a lot of work to do to improve our league position. The very best chance we have of doing this, starting today, is by all of us pulling in the same direction, supporting each other, and, most importantly of all, getting behind the players as vociferously as possible.

The matchday atmosphere at the Amex is a hot topic of debate for fans and the club's staff alike. Last week, we hosted around 50 supporters to start a discussion about how, working together, we can improve the noise levels throughout the stadium in 2015.

This dialogue will continue into the New Year and we will involve more supporters as ideas and thoughts start to take shape. Thanks to those supporters who gave up their time last week. It was an extremely valuable and worthwhile start to the process.

We are totally open-minded to moving people around the stadium, if this helps and those supporters likely to be affected by such changes are willing. We are also open to other suggestions to generate more noise if our ground regulations can accommodate them.

Finally, with a busy programme of matches ahead of us in the next few weeks most of which are on the road in London - I want to take this opportunity of thanking you for your support in 2014 and, on behalf of everyone at the club, to wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.
Sounds reasonable, can't find issue with any of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here