Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber will be the next to leave

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Blimey, just relaying what was said. He also (when he first joined Sunderland) stood up at home and wrote each name of the most recent starting Sunderland XI against the most recent Brighton starting XI on a white board. "Each one in that Brighton side, could easily get into this Sunderland side", is what he said. But hey, I guess "my source" is making this all up.

But you're missing the point other people are trying to make. Under the new rules, we couldn't continue with the Poyet way. It led to huge losses every year, which under FFP would lead to significant fines each year (and maybe more) and TB wasn't going to do that. How is that Barber's fault?

Also, the big question is if Poyet's team at Brighton were so good, surely he did a bad job not taking us up.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hence the "if". "If" we finish lower than 10th this season and "if" the revenue side of the balance sheet suffers as a result then I would expect the buck to stop with Paul Barber. I didn't say it had happened yet.

Seriously, how many Chief Executives get sacked when a team are relegated due to less income coming in? On the other side, how many managers get sacked as a result? I would imagine the answer would be quite conclusive!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Someone is selling Tony 'the Emperors New Clothes', its probably him, they all get found out in the end. Its about the football, the results and pleasing the fans, 'customers'. Its not about, £96 meals, being a 'Friend of the Albion', the programme, the pies ( if you can get one), the Academy, the website, replica shirts or £6.80 for brandy and lemonade. Don't forget first and foremost we are a FOOTBALL CLUB!

Do you understand the purpose of the academy? Just from your post you don't seem to get that it is related to the football!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But you're missing the point other people are trying to make. Under the new rules, we couldn't continue with the Poyet way. It led to huge losses every year, which under FFP would lead to significant fines each year (and maybe more) and TB wasn't going to do that. How is that Barber's fault?

Also, the big question is if Poyet's team at Brighton were so good, surely he did a bad job not taking us up.

It all depends on what happens in the next accounts doesn't? Last season with Barber and no Gus we still made a huge loss.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wouldn't that be more Barber, Burke and Bloom's responsibility than Gus'?

My point is that we overspent massively on Gus's watch. Unless we got promoted, we had to reduce the wage bill, therfore he's not comparing apples with apples. I am aware that the overpend wasn't Gus's fault but he definately did benefit from it.

Clearly Poyet and Barber are not each others biggest fans. I'm not sure I'd be in the GP camp truth be told.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Blimey, just relaying what was said. He also (when he first joined Sunderland) stood up at home and wrote each name of the most recent starting Sunderland XI against the most recent Brighton starting XI on a white board. "Each one in that Brighton side, could easily get into this Sunderland side", is what he said. But hey, I guess "my source" is making this all up.

Where did I doubt the reliability of what you said? I'm just a little dubious about Gus's motives, he and Barber don't get on.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Someone is selling Tony 'the Emperors New Clothes', its probably him, they all get found out in the end. Its about the football, the results and pleasing the fans, 'customers'. Its not about, £96 meals, being a 'Friend of the Albion', the programme, the pies ( if you can get one), the Academy, the website, replica shirts or £6.80 for brandy and lemonade. Don't forget first and foremost we are a FOOTBALL CLUB!

Barnstoneworth?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My point is that we overspent massively on Gus's watch.

I agree, having sacked him why give him such an extravagant leaving gift? A card and some M&S vouchers would have sufficed.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It all depends on what happens in the next accounts doesn't? Last season with Barber and no Gus we still made a huge loss.

PB or anyone can't impact the P&L that quickly.

Players contracts are taken over the term, one reason why many clubs have got in the ****. A 4 year contract is a financial obligation for 4 years (as is the transfer/signing fee which is spread over the term of contract) and can only be got out of if the player is sold

Also, and in our case there, will be a bunch of non discretionary costs that PB can do only a limited amount with (transport, infrastructure, suppliers etc). His opportunity really relies on building revenue and that will have a pretty obvious ceiling while we are in the Championship. Stuff like Merch, sponsorship, Corporate etc will be able much more 'manageable' in the Prem, let alone TV and what he might or might not do with ticket prices

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Really ? That is a good anecdote. Mind you, as it turned out neither of the two he has taken is a starter.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Barber had an big programme of cuts in expenditure and increase in revenue to undertake. Those things don't happen overnight. Nor indeed, do they happen in one year.

What nonsense, I DEFINITELY heard Freddy Mercury say I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, And I want it NOW, and he should know.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Barber had an big programme of cuts in expenditure and increase in revenue to undertake. Those things don't happen overnight. Nor indeed, do they happen in one year.

So it depends on next year's accounts?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
The job that Barber is doing, as frustrating as it is, is a good one, and set by TB. If it's not Barber doing that job, it's someone else.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Last season's accounts (with no Gus) have not been released yet; we'll find out in December.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last season's accounts (with no Gus) have not been released yet; we'll find out in December.
Apparantly we were on target to meet FFP before the sales of Bridcutt and Barnes, and the purchase of Stephens.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Do you understand the purpose of the academy? Just from your post you don't seem to get that it is related to the football!

Of course it is, but just because we have an academy, like many other clubs, doesn't ensure that we will have a good football team. Can you give me an idea of when this will pay for itself or when we see the returns in terms of sales of players or first team appearances? Its wonderful to have an academy, but its profile is far too high, especially as we currently sit just off the relegation zone. Its about winning football matches and we're not doing at the moment and it doesn't look ike its about to change. never mind if we do get relegated we can still console ourselves in that we have an academy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here