Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barber (speaks) Out

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Although it doesn't address the purchase of advanced train tickets, perhaps the football league could negotiate with Sky that when games are rearranged to accommodate tv coverage, that Sky lay on a certain amount of coaches ( free of charge ) for the travelling away support. This may even sway more fans to make the away trip as it makes it financially viable for them.

Don't Stoke provide free coach transport to every away game at present ?

I would love Leeds to win this one....bugger the money lets play 3pm Saturday.....But lets hope we win monday.

Cellino comes from a country where there is no great tradition of attending away games. It's a straightforward matter of the distances involved. Milan is nearer to Brighton than it is to Palermo. No-one travels that distance to a routine away game.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So the additional tv revenue for the season has nearly paid barber's wage and that's worth being dicked around for? Interesting.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Barber's job is to increase income streams and balance the books so he isn't going to moan about extra Sky money.
However while we get £100k per televised game surely we also lose out on reduced attendances meaning lower sales of food, drink, programmes, shop sales, etc. The £100k is compensation for these loses. I'm sure we get a net profit from it but it would not be a £100k profit.
Does anyone know the match day figures for televised and non televised games?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not quite. This is just the additional money received when live on TV.

Albion's TV and media income last season was just shy of £5m - http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...-of-the-Albion-finances-(goes-on-a-bit-sorry)

Unless i'm missing something all the club's get X amount of millions as part of the TV deal not just Brighton , there is no way we made 5 million from just our televised games last season so I stand by what I said , if a thousand supporters decide not to renew the Actual televised revenue becomes irrelevant as we will have lost a far more reliable source of regular income and furthermore support , football is in danger of disappearing Up its own televised arse the way it's going , TV companies should give at least 8 week notice to clubs if they intend to show them live , apart from the playoffs there are no reasons why they shouldn't do this .

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Unless i'm missing something all the club's get X amount of millions as part of the TV deal not just Brighton , there is no way we made 5 million from just our televised games last season so I stand by what I said , if a thousand supporters decide not to renew the Actual televised revenue becomes irrelevant as we will have lost a far more reliable source of regular income and furthermore support , football is in danger of disappearing Up its own televised arse the way it's going , TV companies should give at least 8 week notice to clubs if they intend to show them live , apart from the playoffs there are no reasons why they shouldn't do this .

Brighton got 4.9m from Sky in YE14 and 4.6m in YE15.
That's a massive chunk of income for most clubs.

Its similar in the Prem. We will get c70-80m from Sky YE16 so everyone just has to do what Sky et al say ! The fact that most of this money goes to the players and most clubs only make profits due to transfers is a very scary state of affairs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton got 4.9m from Sky in YE14 and 4.6m in YE15.
That's a massive chunk of income for most clubs.

Its similar in the Prem. We will get c70-80m from Sky YE16 so everyone just has to do what Sky et al say ! The fact that most of this money goes to the players and most clubs only make profits due to transfers is a very scary state of affairs

So, if the Prem told Sky they have to show less games the only people to be materially affected are players and agents. I vote the Prem tell Sky to do one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With Paul Barber's views and stance on this matter it would seem that any representation from supporters against sky and moving fixtures would prove fruitless.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Barber's job is to increase income streams and balance the books so he isn't going to moan about extra Sky money.
However while we get £100k per televised game surely we also lose out on reduced attendances meaning lower sales of food, drink, programmes, shop sales, etc. The £100k is compensation for these loses. I'm sure we get a net profit from it but it would not be a £100k profit.
Does anyone know the match day figures for televised and non televised games?

Would we get more for Advertising revenue for home televised games, have I made this up but are the adverts on the electronic pitch boards bigger brands, and does all that money go to the home club. I am sure the boards cost us 1 million, so they must generate a lot for such an outlay

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Cellino comes from a country where there is no great tradition of attending away games. It's a straightforward matter of the distances involved. Milan is nearer to Brighton than it is to Palermo. No-one travels that distance to a routine away game.

Well done for picking two clubs at opposite ends of the country. We are closer to Paris than Middlesbrough etc.

Surely the underlying problem with Cellino is that he doesn't have control. I believe he would also like to be able to negotiate his own deal for Leeds because he probably thinks he can get a more profitable deal for 'popular' Leeds rather than sharing TV money with a host of 'nonentity' clubs!!!!

Well done for picking two clubs at opposite ends of the country. We are closer to Paris than Middlesbrough etc.

Surely the underlying problem with Cellino is that he doesn't have control. I believe he would also like to be able to negotiate his own deal for Leeds because he probably thinks he can get a more profitable deal for 'popular' Leeds rather than sharing TV money with a host of 'nonentity' clubs!!!!

I'm not denying that Cellino has his own agenda. But it remains a fact that away attendances in Italy are much lower than they are in England. The English objection to Cellino's wishes (as well as the Sky practice of chopping and changing kick-off times) includes consideration of the interests of away fans. In the early days of high speed internet, several Italian Serie A teams offered a pay as you watch streaming service targeted at their own fans.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
clubs are not making money (certainly not in championship) So it is the players
that are mugging off the fans .Not just at the grounds but with sky subscriptions.
If you do want big money out of football stop paying the tv subs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here