Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barber (speaks) Out

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Quite. If tv dollar did reflect lower prices then you'd see a decrease every time a new tv deal was announced. His statement is nothing but usual Barber spin. I'm happy for him to show some figures to demonstrate his theory though

Or the Tv money will go to a different league and they would get the better more entertaining players!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or the Tv money will go to a different league and they would get the better more entertaining players!!!

By different do you mean a foreign league?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Surely rather than a.decrease.in price it would be a.lower increase. Thats not measurable by anyone.outside of the club. Thats using.random figures a.season ticket goes up by fifty quid, without tv cash that increase.would be 200 quid

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I would love Leeds to win this one....bugger the money lets play 3pm Saturday.....But lets hope we win monday.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would love Leeds to win this one....bugger the money lets play 3pm Saturday.....But lets hope we win monday.

So you want a free for all on individual club tv deals that will bring in games being shown at any time to suit the tv market and to enhance the clubs tv money.

So good luck with getting back from Leeds on public transport when the game kicks off at 9pm on a sunday night.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
So you want a free for all on individual club tv deals that will bring in games being shown at any time to suit the tv market and to enhance the clubs tv money.

So good luck with getting back from Leeds on public transport when the game kicks off at 9pm on a sunday night.

""play 3pm Saturday"" is what I said ....

theboybilly

I don't think I could name many players in any foreign league outside of perhaps their respective top two or three clubs. There is not the worldwide interest in any football league that English football has.
Sky know this only too well.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
It's a catch 22 isn't it, the higher the price of tickets the more supporters will turn away and the only way to watch their team will be on Sky. I for one have been forced out of watching the Albion on a regular basis because of the price of tickets.

Jan 30, 2008

:dunce:
regards
DR

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I could handle the notion of us being on TV a lot more if we knew much further in advance that this was going to happen.

Cheap(er) train tickets are available three months in advance to get from one end of the country to the other. But then the clubs and fans are given less than three months' notice that Sky wish to arbitrarily balls up any arrangements.

Middlesbrough fans, for example, have been properly done over. They've had three fixtures in the south (Brighton, Charlton and QPR away) moved and Sky's convenience and the fans' inconvenience. Even if the fans could afford the train ticket, the QPR fixture (for one) means they can't go back home to Middlesbrough that night.

We know that Sky operates in the best interests of itself - which is also against the best interests of the fans. It's not in their remit to care about supporters as those at a match can't watch the TV (subscriptions and ad sales being their source of their revenue; greater viewing figures push up ad revenue sales), therefore it's about screening the event rather than the consideration of the attendees. Sky have said they want to screen matches with full houses in order to show a 'better event'. But, seeing as the Championship is not the source of their main revenue stream, that statement is bollocks as they don't actually care whether they are full houses or not in this division. Look at the Cardiff City Stadium last week.

It wouldn't hurt Sky to put some money aside (and it wouldn't be much) to reimburse those fans who, in perfectly good faith, bought train tickets only for them to be deemed useless because of a fixture move. It simply isn't good enough to shurg your shoulders and say 'well, that's the chance you take...'. That's an appalling abandonment of responsibility.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Maybe a drop in cash will force English clubs to focus on the nurture home grown talent a bit more? I'd rather this than buying ready made European imports. Given the population of the U.K., and the level of interest in football, I believe the players are out there. What isn't out there is a long term desire to find and nurture them.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Good luck to the Leeds fans getting back from Brighton on public transport when the game kicks off at 745pm on a monday night.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe a drop in cash will force English clubs to focus on the nurture home grown talent a bit more? I'd rather this than buying ready made European imports. Given the population of the U.K., and the level of interest in football, I believe the players are out there. What isn't out there is a long term desire to find and nurture them.

Spurs aren't doing too bad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spurs aren't doing too bad.

This is just one example....and over half their first team squad is foreign. This just backs up my argument.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Good luck to the Leeds fans getting back from Brighton on public transport when the game kicks off at 745pm on a monday night.

Think theyre used to it as weve only played evening games against them at the Amex

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I could handle the notion of us being on TV a lot more if we knew much further in advance that this was going to happen.

Cheap(er) train tickets are available three months in advance to get from one end of the country to the other. But then the clubs and fans are given less than three months' notice that Sky wish to arbitrarily balls up any arrangements.

Middlesbrough fans, for example, have been properly done over. They've had three fixtures in the south (Brighton, Charlton and QPR away) moved and Sky's convenience and the fans' inconvenience. Even if the fans could afford the train ticket, the QPR fixture (for one) means they can't go back home to Middlesbrough that night.

We know that Sky operates in the best interests of itself - which is also against the best interests of the fans. It's not in their remit to care about supporters as those at a match can't watch the TV (subscriptions and ad sales being their source of their revenue; greater viewing figures push up ad revenue sales), therefore it's about screening the event rather than the consideration of the attendees. Sky have said they want to screen matches with full houses in order to show a 'better event'. But, seeing as the Championship is not the source of their main revenue stream, that statement is bollocks as they don't actually care whether they are full houses or not in this division. Look at the Cardiff City Stadium last week.

It wouldn't hurt Sky to put some money aside (and it wouldn't be much) to reimburse those fans who, in perfectly good faith, bought train tickets only for them to be deemed useless because of a fixture move. It simply isn't good enough to shurg your shoulders and say 'well, that's the chance you take...'. That's an appalling abandonment of responsibility.

Although it doesn't address the purchase of advanced train tickets, perhaps the football league could negotiate with Sky that when games are rearranged to accommodate tv coverage, that Sky lay on a certain amount of coaches ( free of charge ) for the travelling away support. This may even sway more fans to make the away trip as it makes it financially viable for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here