Banner in support of No to Hull Tigers campaign ???

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
:facepalm:

Careful you don't fall from your high horse.

Do you agree then that merging your existing name with your existing nickname is worse than moving a club 80 miles. You have seriously lost touch with reality.

It's not a willy-waving battle.

Both cross the line. It's just that one goes way more than the other, but the line is crossed nonetheless.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
:facepalm:

Careful you don't fall from your high horse.

Do you agree then that merging your existing name with your existing nickname is worse than moving a club 80 miles. You have seriously lost touch with reality.

What are you talking about you dullard?

Get on Amazon and order a copy of Straight & Crooked Thinking by Robert Thouless. You really could do with a read of it.

You're displaying all the worst characteristics of debating. For example, you use diverting tactics e.g. you ask for my personal credentials as a condition of discussing the core issue; you deliberately mix the subject matter i.e. this is about the relationship that fans have with their club, but instead you are trying to use the name change and our own situation 15 years ago as a wedge.

Basically, you're a debating terrorist.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the name, colours or even crest of a football club is a VERY sensitive thing. If you act like you don't give a toss what the fans think because "you know better", then you're going to be met with opposition.

Oh. And the, "they can go to hell" comment wasn't exactly the most endearing thing he could have said..

It's always happened. Look into the history of any club that changes it's name, and you'll see that it happens following money trouble when a new owner comes in. Newton Heath was about to go to the wall in the January of 1902, until 5 investors came in and saved them. By April, they were called Manchester United. Aldwick became Manchester City under similar circumstances.

I don't like the Hull bloke, and I think that Tan fella is positively bonkers, but money has ruled the roost going back as far as you want to look. And more recently (the last 20 years) it has ruled to the point of not paying any attention to what the fans think.

Don't get me wrong, I would be against it if I was a Hull fan, but we need to get it in perspective. "Wealthy investor does as he chooses" - oooh, hold the front page.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know this makes me a bad fan, but I'm afraid I really am struggling to give a toss about Hulls namechange. Its a bit unsavoury for SOME of their fans I guess (as Keith Andrews would say), but they're still in the Premier League. They're still playing regularly in front of 20k+ in a fantastic stadium. They're still a world away from the basket-case constantly bordering bankruptcy shambles that they were not so very long ago when they were shuffling round the lower leagues in a delapidated old ground.

So the owner wants to swap the word 'City' and replace it with 'Tigers'. Its a pointless gesture, and everyone knows its not going to make Hull the slightest bit more attractive as a club to start supporting to a 15 year old in Jakarta. But they'll still be known as City to their own fans, and mostly every other fan around the country, so whats really changed ?

How different is it to the likes of Bradford selling the naming rights to their ground every couple of years ? I have no idea what its currently "officially" called, but I have and will always know it as Valley Parade. I still call Bournemouths Dean Court. I'll still know Hull as just Hull, or Hull City.

Personally, I save my concern and moral support for clubs that are IN CRISIS (apart from Portscum, obviously). Hull are not in crisis, not even close, so this whole issue just gets one big 'meh' from me. I hope they keep their original name, but if they don't ? Well, the world will still be turning.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I know this makes me a bad fan, but I'm afraid I really am struggling to give a toss about Hulls namechange. Its a bit unsavoury for SOME of their fans I guess (as Keith Andrews would say), but they're still in the Premier League. They're still playing regularly in front of 20k+ in a fantastic stadium. They're still a world away from the basket-case constantly bordering bankruptcy shambles that they were not so very long ago when they were shuffling round the lower leagues in a delapidated old ground.

So the owner wants to swap the word 'City' and replace it with 'Tigers'. Its a pointless gesture, and everyone knows its not going to make Hull the slightest bit more attractive as a club to start supporting to a 15 year old in Jakarta. But they'll still be known as City to their own fans, and mostly every other fan around the country, so whats really changed ?

How different is it to the likes of Bradford selling the naming rights to their ground every couple of years ? I have no idea what its currently "officially" called, but I have and will always know it as Valley Parade. I still call Bournemouths Dean Court. I'll still know Hull as just Hull, or Hull City.

Personally, I save my concern and moral support for clubs that are IN CRISIS (apart from Portscum, obviously). Hull are not in crisis, not even close, so this whole issue just gets one big 'meh' from me. I hope they keep their original name, but if they don't ? Well, the world will still be turning.

Of course it doesn't make you a 'bad fan' (is there such a thing?), but you know that already. All this name nonsense like bad fans and love-in's just debases the debate.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough

sum's it up nicely easy, so lets move on...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course it doesn't make you a 'bad fan' (is there such a thing?), but you know that already. All this name nonsense like bad fans and love-in's just debases the debate.

Well I appreciate that there are concerns about "wider issues" to do with rich owners and how they conduct themselves, and what they do with the football club while its under their control. But from where I'm sitting, Hull seem to be doing alright. Unless Allem suddenly decides to flood the team with unknown egyptions (AeA ?), or up sticks and move them to Indonesia, I don't really think they have an awful lot to worry about.

I wouldn't want us to be called Brighton Seagulls. But if that was the price to pay for being bankrolled to the top flight in a state-of-the-art stadium, instead of scratching around L1/L2 at an athletics track, then I'd still know them as the Albion, I'd always call them the Albion. Then I think I'd shrug and get on with it.

Far as I'm concerned, if you take a step back, this is a big fuss about very little.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Well I appreciate that there are concerns about "wider issues" to do with rich owners and how they conduct themselves, and what they do with the football club while its under their control. But from where I'm sitting, Hull seem to be doing alright. Unless Allem suddenly decides to flood the team with unknown egyptions (AeA ?), or up sticks and move them to Indonesia, I don't really think they have an awful lot to worry about.

I wouldn't want us to be called Brighton Seagulls. But if that was the price to pay for being bankrolled to the top flight in a state-of-the-art stadium, instead of scratching around L1/L2 at an athletics track, then I'd still know them as the Albion, I'd always call them the Albion. Then I think I'd shrug and get on with it.

Far as I'm concerned, if you take a step back, this is a big fuss about very little.

Which is fair enough if that's how you feel, as many do. I'd summarize (the 'z' is for marshy68 btw) my feelings on the issue as...

i) Thin end of the wedge, if you tolerate this etc...
ii) Why the negativity towards those who do want to publicly show support? If you're (not you Easy, a general 'you're') not fussed let those who are get on with it without questioning their manhood.
iii) Just because you've bankrolled and improved a club's position doesn't mean you can do whatever you like without question or scrutiny. And just because your team is now in that improved position it doesn't mean as a fan you have to accept everything that goes with it.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Which is fair enough if that's how you feel, as many do. I'd sum my feelings on the issue as...

ii) Why the negativity towards those who do want to publicly show support? If you're (not you Easy, a general 'you're') not fussed let those who are get on with it without questioning their manhood.
iii) Just because you've bankrolled and improved a club's position doesn't mean you can do whatever you like without question or scrutiny. And just because your team is now in that improved position it doesn't mean as a fan you have to accept everything that goes with it.
You know, just sometimes people go to football and follow there team and go home.They couldn't careless about others no matter how much you try to convince them to get involved in a love in. It really doesn't make them a bad fan.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
You know, just sometimes people go to football and follow there team and go home.They couldn't careless about others no matter how much you try to convince them to get involved in a love in. It really doesn't make them a bad fan.

Just out of interest, have you actually read any of my posts?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which is fair enough if that's how you feel, as many do. I'd summarize (the 'z' is for marshy68 btw) my feelings on the issue as...

i) I get the thin end of the wedge argument, but until he actually starts doing something to worry about, then theres not much point worrying about it. They'd have more to worry about if he actually walked away over this issue and withdrew his backing.
ii) Agree, nothing to do with a machismo thing, as you know and acknowledge thats not where I'm coming from. If others want to, make flags and banners or do whatever to publically show their support then thats up to them. I just think that for this particular issue, its pointless.
iii) True. But its also worth picking your battles. And in the great scheme of things, that club is in a very healthy position. So swapping 'City' for 'Tigers', whilst irksome, isn't the end of the club as they know it.

That said, Allem is a total PR disaster, so I can well see how he's rubbed them up the wrong way with his response to their campaign. But he's still keeping that club in a stable condition in a division which traditionally they've rarely had a sniff of. So IMO, those fans have a lot more to be grateful for than they do to moan about.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
i) I get the thin end of the wedge argument, but until he actually starts doing something to worry about, then theres not much point worrying about it. They'd have more to worry about if he actually walked away over this issue and withdrew his backing.
ii) Agree, nothing to do with a machismo thing, as you know and acknowledge thats not where I'm coming from. If others want to, make flags and banners or do whatever to publically show their support then thats up to them. I just think that for this particular issue, its pointless.
iii) True. But its also worth picking your battles. And in the great scheme of things, that club is in a very healthy position. So swapping 'City' for 'Tigers', whilst irksome, isn't the end of the club as they know it.

That said, Allem is a total PR disaster, so I can well see how he's rubbed them up the wrong way with his response to their campaign. But he's still keeping that club in a stable condition in a division which traditionally they've rarely had a sniff of. So IMO, those fans have a lot more to be grateful for than they do to moan about.

All fair points, but I can't help thinking that deep down you're hoping that one day Tony decides to rebrand us as Brighton Bats.

Dandyman

In London village.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports