Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bank cheque question

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but you have picked the wrong target for your whinge. Bank staff are not selling shoes or ice creams. Even the counter staff have a range of responsibilities and obligations to protect customer privacy, look out for fraud and other criminal activity and protect the funds in accounts for the customers, particularly vulnerable ones who don't always respond well to being protected. You won't be aware of all the paddling their feet are doing under the surface to keep you and your money safe while still trying to provide a friendly service. You probably haven't even been in to bank for a few years if you are an online user and yet you pass judgement. Sure, there aren't so many staff or branches, but the ones that remain work very hard to provide a good service.

Oh yes I have been in the bank, I go in most months. I think I’ll leave it there as maybe my experiences are an exception but I find customer service has taken a nosedive to what it was.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I regularly write cheques for my more senior clients leaving them to sign them. Never had any problem with the narrative of the cheque and the signature being in different handwriting. Not once. Can't see that being the reason. Probably just a numpty at the bank.

Complain and you might get some compo in the form of a hamper, cashj or suchlike.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Oh yes I have been in the bank, I go in most months. I think I’ll leave it there as maybe my experiences are an exception but I find customer service has taken a nosedive to what it was.

You aren't wrong. Service in branches is appalling now compared to what it was 10 years ago.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I'll leave it there too. Looks like this thread has the potential to get derailed in to a bank bashing thread.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My branch (Nat West Lancing) closed years ago, and they transferred me to Shoreham. But my sort code remained the same. Maybe Barclays weren't so forward thinking?

My Barclays branch closed so they transferred me to another branch and that has now closed so I'm with some sort of big virtual branch that is just a PO Box address. I've had the same sort code throughout.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
As part of my self-employed work, I get a cheque every two months, with the accountant for the people who I do the work for, filling in the name and amount, and then having the very different handwriting of the actual signatories (normally two in my instance) on the cheque, and there's never been any issue or hold up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here