Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ball boys sacked

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
There's only one Brighton ball boy - The legendary Keith Cuss! I can still picture the Manchester City players doing a :angry::flounce::rant: when Keith headed the ball into the west terrace.

The fact it was injury time and Brighton were winning 2-1 was purely incidental........

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The ball boys at the Goldstone for the 1995-96 season were the greatest ball boys the ball boying world has ever seen.

:lolol:

Let me take a wild stab in the dark - were you a ballboy at the Goldstone during the 1995-96 season El Turi, perchance?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
The fact of the matter is whether we like it or not,our club is no longer a community club but a money machine.

In my opinion my club is losing its identity.We fought for 15 years to get a new home & when we did we arrived in such numbers that the capacity had to be raised .

Now it seems that all the effort the local community put into getting us here counts for nothing.

Dick Knight who saved this club from going under was forced out by barber.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The fact of the matter is whether we like it or not,our club is no longer a community club but a money machine.

In my opinion my club is losing its identity.We fought for 15 years to get a new home & when we did we arrived in such numbers that the capacity had to be raised .

Now it seems that all the effort the local community put into getting us here counts for nothing.

I fear this may be the legacy of the Bloom/Barber years - to be fair though, the only other realistic choice was to see the club become extinct.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
First they came for Piglets Pantry,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Piglets Pantler.

Then they came for Gully's Girl
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Gully's Girl.

Then they came for the ball boys,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a ball boy.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

Except Paul Barber's programme notes.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There's only one Brighton ball boy - The legendary Keith Cuss! I can still picture the Manchester City players doing a :angry::flounce::rant: when Keith headed the ball into the west terrace.

The fact it was injury time and Brighton were winning 2-1 was purely incidental........

An interview with the legend in the programme would be nice but I doubt that fits with the club's corporate-rebranding-strategy-going-forward so perhaps we should all buy some sausages the Cuss Family shop next time we're in Shoreham.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Who are the under 21's? If you are talking about the DS then that is stupid they are proffesional footballers.

If you mean the under 18's then they generally have games on a Saturday morning, why should they then be forced to sit in the rain at pitch side collecting the ball? They will not want to do that and I can't see why the club would make them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If you mean the under 18's then they generally have games on a Saturday morning, why should they then be forced to sit in the rain at pitch side collecting the ball? They will not want to do that and I can't see why the club would make them.

It's hardly a chore, is it? Give a couple of hours of your day to assist the club that owns them?

In general terms, there are lots of players who believe they have already made it at that age. There was a wonderful article by David James on the subject.

Do they still clean boots?

I think Charlton banned their youth players from wearing coloured boots as it is seen to be something to earn.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who are the under 21's? If you are talking about the DS then that is stupid they are proffesional footballers.

If you mean the under 18's then they generally have games on a Saturday morning, why should they then be forced to sit in the rain at pitch side collecting the ball? They will not want to do that and I can't see why the club would make themB]

It is called discipline and acting to orders, something that is sadly lacking in the modern era.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is called discipline and acting to orders, something that is sadly lacking in the modern era.

True. And to think that apprentices used to have to be part of the ground staff and clean the players' boots. The modern young player has it very easy in comparison.

Having said that, it may hinder the club's ability to attract young hopefuls if they know they have to do these extra duties with us but not with, say, Spurs or Crystal Palace.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

if you really want to focus on the negatives then to be more factually correct it is Tony Bloom who has edged Dick Knight out and not Barber. There never seemed to be any great love lost as, with due respect to Dick's contributions to the club, they have always been poles apart in terms of business ideology. Bloom not Barber ok?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

young players should be sat at the side of the pitch as ball boys wishing that one day they will be out there on the pitch with others collecting the balls for them. Not only is there poor discipline, few good role models and too much nannying protection, there is a lack of hunger.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
An interview with the legend in the programme would be nice but I doubt that fits with the club's corporate-rebranding-strategy-going-forward so perhaps we should all buy some sausages the Cuss Family shop next time we're in Shoreham.

didnt our great community club sack him as a result of that incident or would that spoil the point you are making?

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
First they came for Piglets Pantry,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Piglets Pantler.

Then they came for Gully's Girl
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Gully's Girl.

Then they came for the ball boys,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a ball boy.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

Except Paul Barber's programme notes.

A fan of Niemoller?!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's hardly a chore, is it? Give a couple of hours of your day to assist the club that owns them?

In general terms, there are lots of players who believe they have already made it at that age. There was a wonderful article by David James on the subject.

Do they still clean boots?

I think Charlton banned their youth players from wearing coloured boots as it is seen to be something to earn.

The same boys that will be dropped like a sack of shit at the end of the season when they don't make.

They do plenty for the club already and what is wrong with ball boys.

I know for a fact the scholars still clean the boots and our captain is a tight arse and el abd is pretty generous.

Also they all have to wear black boots the club don't allow the, to have colour they are also not allowed to wear gloves or body armour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here