Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ball boys sacked

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Ballboys traditionally have been a link connecting the club with the local community. To dispense with them continues the move towards a more businesslike operation. A bit sad really.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Shame - the ball boys can make one hell of a difference.

I remember an early match at Withdean when the pitch was a swamp ( the one when Hart skidded half the pitch in a sliding tackle ) - everytime the ball boys collected the ball for an Albion throw it was toweled down, for the opposition it was rolled in the mud. TREMENDOUS !

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Shame - the ball boys can make one hell of a difference.

I remember an early match at Withdean when the pitch was a swamp ( the one when Hart skidded half the pitch in a sliding tackle ) - everytime the ball boys collected the ball for an Albion throw it was toweled down, for the opposition it was rolled in the mud. TREMENDOUS !

Who is saying the U21s wont do the same......except the lack of mud at the Amex of course.

It makes sense, we have them so instead of them using seats on matchdays at the Amex which could otherwise be sold - just have them as ballboys.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Who is saying the U21s wont do the same......except the lack of mud at the Amex of course.

It makes sense, we have them so instead of them using seats on matchdays at the Amex which could otherwise be sold - just have them as ballboys.

The U21's are want to be footballers not ball boys. Tell you what let's get the Development Squad to be stewards.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
And they are being footballers, most other clubs use their U21/Academy players as ballboys, why should we be any different ?

Because we're not the same as any other club. Also, the old ball boys were very good and didn't need replacing. The U21's won't really want to be ball boys.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Have you ever agreed with a decision made by Brighton and Hove Albion?

Not quite sure what you're suggesting - but yes I have but I'm also sceptical of both Barbers abilities and Blooms intentions.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ballboys traditionally have been a link connecting the club with the local community. To dispense with them continues the move towards a more businesslike operation. A bit sad really.

Yes, I agree. Both my lads were ball boys at the Goldstone back in the 90s and were thrilled to be so. I suspect this is the last link the club had with the community. The Seagulls Club is now managed and run by the Marketing Department with few benefits. The club think they no longer need to develop youngsters into becoming fans - which is all very well in the good times but Barber will be gone before the bad times reoccur.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The ball boys at the Goldstone for the 1995-96 season were the greatest ball boys the ball boying world has ever seen.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

in fairness most clubs are doing the same in the face of demands that the volunteers have to be paid. It isnt just the minimum wage or the minimum 4 hour shift or the overheads (it would "only" be about £400-500 a match extra) but it is far comment that young players should engage in the matchday experience. If they "perform" as they did against Millwall it will tell their coaches a good deal about their character and attitude.As for "a link with the community...?" Get off! Their are 25k links to the local community at every home game.

Last edited:

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Yes, I agree. Both my lads were ball boys at the Goldstone back in the 90s and were thrilled to be so. I suspect this is the last link the club had with the community. The Seagulls Club is now managed and run by the Marketing Department with few benefits. The club think they no longer need to develop youngsters into becoming fans - which is all very well in the good times but Barber will be gone before the bad times reoccur.

So the Albion has no links with the community anymore, really?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not quite sure what you're suggesting - but yes I have but I'm also sceptical of both Barbers abilities and Blooms intentions.

Sceptical about Tony Bloom's intentions?

You are either very brave or more than averagely dumb (to have failed to notice the backing he has given and his continued statements of his vision for the club....??? )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here