Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bales beating Serbia

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So we have a Brighton fan arguing AGAINST the benefit of a team playing as a team, in favour of a group of arrogant and flawed individuals.

How odd.

With respect though Stat, every team relies on the individuals to perform. When Knockaert is on fire, we're going to win games of football. When Dunk and Duffy are doing what they did to Bristol City, which was almost unsporting, the team are going to do well. Murray is putting the ball in the net at home, which helps the whole team. A team can't perform without individuals performing well.

Some players can stand out in the team, others hide and have to be carried but if the team performs they can get away with it anyway.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So every player that get's sent off is mentally unhinged?

If you don't think Paul Gascoigne has a long history of mental health issues then that is one for you to answer, not me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have never suggested that Bale is anything but world class and probably in the top 5 players in the world it is the praise of the other 10 that I believe is over the top and exaggerated.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
In my opinion we had a few world class players in the mid 2000s. Ashley cole, rio ferdinand and Paul scholes were three. Problem was we didn't have a manager who could get the best out of the team. Thinking about scholes out on the left whilst lampard tried a long ranger for the fourteenth time without luck is a fading yet still painful memory.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Not Beckham or Gerrard in their prime. I think we have the best right back and nearing that status in Walker.

c71853cf5c1a12e7d5cce241a74ff6715c46e5109d9993d57cebb7dc7d8fbd01.jpg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just back from the game. A few observations: The Serbians were quite cynical, lots of play acting. Ramsey was knackered after 60 minutes, should have been subbed. The atmosphere was really good, Cardiff's ground suits Wales, 37,000 sell out. Bale was pretty quiet tonight by his standards but still got his obligatory goal. How fat was Serbia's number 9? Dunk+Duffy>Williams+Chester (imo). It was freezing!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just back from the game. A few observations: The Serbians were quite cynical, lots of play acting. Ramsey was knackered after 60 minutes, should have been subbed. The atmosphere was really good, Cardiff's ground suits Wales, 37,000 sell out. Bale was pretty quiet tonight by his standards but still got his obligatory goal. How fat was Serbia's number 9? Dunk+Duffy>Williams+Chester (imo). It was freezing!

Why don't Wales play at the Millenium Stadium?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Last truly world class England player?

Cashley Cole I suspect.

Others that have been world class of the recent(ish) era are Rooney, Beckham & Scholes.

Gazza was easily world class and an absolute genius who was at least one step ahead of any England player he played with.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With respect though Stat, every team relies on the individuals to perform. When Knockaert is on fire, we're going to win games of football. When Dunk and Duffy are doing what they did to Bristol City, which was almost unsporting, the team are going to do well. Murray is putting the ball in the net at home, which helps the whole team. A team can't perform without individuals performing well.

Some players can stand out in the team, others hide and have to be carried but if the team performs they can get away with it anyway.
Our resident blowhard is bemoaning Wales' 10 receiving praise, as he feels they are a one man team.
To me, at least, the 10 don't get enough credit because they allow Bale to play.

Sure the Albion is different by virtue there isn't one stand out player.
But this season I'm loving the discipline, structure and control of the entire team.

Maybe that's not apparent to those who already know everything.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Why don't Wales play at the Millenium Stadium?
They used to, but I think they prefer the full stadium at Cardiff City rather than 20k-30k rattling around the Millennium. There is probably a cost issue too.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think a tough thing about judging whether is someone is world class or not is how it's measured, like if it's relative to their position or a particular attribute.

Personally I'd say that England players who could be considered world class from recent-ish times....

Beckham
Owen
Lineker
Robson

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He is very very Good, but we did a completely professional job on another top 6 side last week without him. Could Wales do the same ?

and I raise you a

View attachment 79374

Very ironic that you mention the win against Bristol City, the best possible example of a one man team. And the one man is only on loan. They happened to be in the top 6 at the time we played them, but they won't be there come the end of the season. Like Huddersfield being top when they came to defend against us.

I wasn't saying that we're a one man team, but a team made much better by the inclusion of one very special little French fella. All successful teams have their best player, there's no shame in it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The difference with us is that we have players that could step up and be the match winner but Wales only have Gareth Bale and if he was out for any reason they would struggle where as we dont without any 1 player who ever it may be.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
They used to, but I think they prefer the full stadium at Cardiff City rather than 20k-30k rattling around the Millennium. There is probably a cost issue too.

There was also a rugby match being played at the Millennium Stadium on the same day. I would think the pitch is better as well.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We aren't a one man team but the one man makes one hell of a difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here