Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Baldock

Jun 26, 2014
Baldock has done nothing of note.

The new stadium has attracted new supporters from the area and returning support from the Goldstone days. The Withdean was great insomuch as it facilitated a return to the City for our club, but it was lacking in quite a few basic facilities (a roof being the obvious one) and isn't particularly missed.

Good luck for the season, I think you are going up.

I certainly hope so ;)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Hi lads. Just came on here to see how your new strikers Sammy is getting on.

I've seen he's not been in the goals, but has he contributed a lot? Just want to get your initial thoughts on him.

If he hasn't set the world alight yet, I'd advise you not to worry, as last season it took until around December to get going, he will come good.

Another question I have for you, is what many fans around the country wonder.. How have you so suddenly been able to get your attendances so high from what they previously were?!

And for you older folk out there, would it be a lie to say that you almost prefered the Withdean to the Amex, just for tradition? I have to hold my hands up and say I never went to the Withdean, but I went to the Amex the first season it opened, you beat us 2-0, was a dire game, doubt any of you remember it.

Cheers lads, and also for any of you wondering about El-Abd's progress, he hasn't put a foot wrong when came on, but can't force his way into our defence which has been so solid this season.

All the best for this season!
We've always had the support and had 30k members while at withdean,withdean interest would naturally tale off as it was a shitehole and it was only a 6k capacity for years and then 7k etc etc...You wouldn't get sell out crowds at the withdean in the latter stages as it was despised.I don't like comparing crowds to the withdean and the gillingham ground share as they both were horrendous for diffrent reasons.
Before the goldstone was crumbling we had very good crowds in the lower divisions and have always been a club with huge potential.
You don't have much crowd history for a big city,we averaged more than you when we both hit the top flight in the 70's...No point in this and that as you haven't done much in god knows how long bar a championship playoff failure.

Good luck for the season

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
We've always had the support and had 30k members while at withdean,withdean interest would naturally tale off as it was a shitehole and it was only a 6k capacity for years and then 7k etc etc...You wouldn't get sell out crowds at the withdean in the latter stages as it was despised.I don't like comparing crowds to the withdean and the gillingham ground share as they both were horrendous for diffrent reasons.
Before the goldstone was crumbling we had very good crowds in the lower divisions and have always been a club with huge potential.
You don't have much crowd history for a big city,we averaged more than you when we both hit the top flight in the 70's...No point in this and that as you haven't done much in god knows how long bar a championship playoff failure.

Good luck for the season

But you have to admit Sir, Bristol City have had larger attendances than us in the past. I would say far more potential than us and in a new stadium playing for the play-offs in The Championship would easily have bigger attendances than us! Just look at their attendances in their heyday and their record attendance, we sir are small fry compared to them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Although I was a STH at the Withdean (sometimes sharing), I know plenty of fans who went to the Goldstone and only bothered with a couple of games a year at the Withdean: a) the tickets there were limited and you couldn't buy on the day and b) it was a really shit venue for footy - they now either have STs or go to a lot more games than they did. There are some new fans too, although not as many as some would have you believe.

Spot on answer there mate. And absolutely true. I wish some on here would realise this is the truth - and 'away' fans - esp the palace trolls who assured us our 20k attendances would drop like a stone after season 1 at the Amex :lol: :ffsparr:

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
I detect a whiff of sarcasm in your post (?) there, old boy, and the word "potential" is one that no longer gets banded around really anymore. It was something we comforted ourselves with in the mid 80s after our record slump from 1st Div to 4th. The only way we will get crowds like yours, regularly, is by being in the Prem. But we do have a sell-out tomorrow! (Well, we have; mk dons have yet to take up their full allocation) But, er, only because we're down to 3 stands currently.

Be interesting to see how Sam gets on at Forest tomorrow, if selected.

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
But you have to admit Sir, Bristol City have had larger attendances than us in the past. I would say far more potential than us and in a new stadium playing for the play-offs in The Championship would easily have bigger attendances than us! Just look at their attendances in their heyday and their record attendance, we sir are small fry compared to them.

Gullsworth's reply, that is

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
no sarcasm from me....always thought you are capable of bigger crowds than us....but yes I am 'old school'

Always hard to judge the "tone" on these things! I do think you have over-estimated our appeal somewhat, our biggest gate in our 4 year stay in Div 1, 76-80, was 38,000 v Liverpool, 1977. Average was more like 25,000, much like BHA now!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hi lads. Just came on here to see how your new strikers Sammy is getting on.

I've seen he's not been in the goals, but has he contributed a lot? Just want to get your initial thoughts on him.

If he hasn't set the world alight yet, I'd advise you not to worry, as last season it took until around December to get going, he will come good.

Another question I have for you, is what many fans around the country wonder.. How have you so suddenly been able to get your attendances so high from what they previously were?!

And for you older folk out there, would it be a lie to say that you almost prefered the Withdean to the Amex, just for tradition? I have to hold my hands up and say I never went to the Withdean, but I went to the Amex the first season it opened, you beat us 2-0, was a dire game, doubt any of you remember it.

Cheers lads, and also for any of you wondering about El-Abd's progress, he hasn't put a foot wrong when came on, but can't force his way into our defence which has been so solid this season.

All the best for this season!

Thanks for this Brizzle. Bristol Pete has posted his view of Baldock on here, but you haven't, so we'd be pleased to hear it.
From what I can see is that he's quite quick, has intelligent movement, and shoots quite early (and accurately?) when an opportunity arises (though he hasn't had too many of these for us thus far).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here