Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Baldock

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
He matched Colunga in achieving my award for most ineffectual front line in recent Albion History. I don't think he is aware there is a competitive game on when he's on the pitch.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Baldock has done nothing of note.

The new stadium has attracted new supporters from the area and returning support from the Goldstone days. The Withdean was great insomuch as it facilitated a return to the City for our club, but it was lacking in quite a few basic facilities (a roof being the obvious one) and isn't particularly missed.

Good luck for the season, I think you are going up.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
From what I've seen so far Baldock is similar to McSmudger... Probably good in league 1 but not up to Championship level. I hope we havnt wasted good money on him...

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Hi lads. Just came on here to see how your new strikers Sammy is getting on.

I've seen he's not been in the goals, but has he contributed a lot? Just want to get your initial thoughts on him.

If he hasn't set the world alight yet, I'd advise you not to worry, as last season it took until around December to get going, he will come good.

Another question I have for you, is what many fans around the country wonder.. How have you so suddenly been able to get your attendances so high from what they previously were?!

And for you older folk out there, would it be a lie to say that you almost prefered the Withdean to the Amex, just for tradition? I have to hold my hands up and say I never went to the Withdean, but I went to the Amex the first season it opened, you beat us 2-0, was a dire game, doubt any of you remember it.

Cheers lads, and also for any of you wondering about El-Abd's progress, he hasn't put a foot wrong when came on, but can't force his way into our defence which has been so solid this season.

All the best for this season!

To question why our attendances have gone up since moving to the Amex is a bit like saying why did our attendances go down when we left the Goldstone ! You do know we played at the goldstone with similar attendances to what we get now ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
To question why our attendances have gone up since moving to the Amex is a bit like saying why did our attendances go down when we left the Goldstone ! You do know we played at the goldstone with similar attendances to what we get now ?

Erm, did we? When was that then?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
From what I've seen so far Baldock is similar to McSmudger... Probably good in league 1 but not up to Championship level. I hope we havnt wasted good money on him...

When these players were prolific at other clubs there was a reason for it. Style of play, support players around them etc. Zamora had an almost telepathic partnership with Watson, particularly from set piece situations. Leon Knight got stacks of goals when he had big target men around him e.g Iwelumo. CMS had George Boyd pulling the strings at Posh and setting up lots of chances, off the shoulder of the last man. The Bristol City poster on here tells of how JET made all the space for Baldock last season.
The step up from Div 1 to Championship is not that great. Players can usually make the transition. The question is whether clubs have the resources ( crowds, income etc ) to survive. Strikers given the right service will continue to score at the higher level. Rhodes and Austin had no problem and I don't see Assombalonga struggling at Forest. Many were doubting Leo's ability to cut it at PL level but better service and working on his fitness and he's hit the ground running.
CMS and Baldock need one of two things to kickstart them into scoring.
1) A good big target man, taking all the pressure off them and creating space for them.
2) A good creative midfielder, playing in the hole just behind them and sliding in those killer 15-20 yard balls between defenders. We now have one in Paddy McCourt. SH needs to keep playing him in that role and you will see the difference with CMS/Baldock. We have no-one else good enough to supply that creativity.
( ps...didn't McCourt set up CMS for a goal last night? )

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
I remember. Really enjoyed going to the Goldstone ground, well, the time we won there (91) mostly, not so much the time before when we lost (when Mike Gatting's brother was playing for you? Is that right?) I also recall BHA getting 30,000 in the 70s when you went up to the 1st. And bringing a v good following to Ashton Gate in about 79 (before we got relegated). Think that's your only time in the top flight (?) and you managed to combine it with reaching the cup final, of course, a great way of cementing a solid core of support to last beyond those glory years. Like us, you have had your difficult times since then, but have come through it. Unlike us, you got to build a new home fit for the 21st century. It remains to be seen whether the redevelopment of AG will have a similarly transformative effect on City as the Amex has had on BHA.

I always think there are a number of similarities between us and Brighton, although I think it would take us reaching the Prem to match the impressive attendances at the Amex. I haven't been to see us there yet, but we've got a chance of getting back to the Champs this season, so if that "chance" turns into something more solid, I will look forward to getting back down there. Assuming you chaps don't get promoted, of course:thumbsup:

I loved the Goldstone (behind the goal first visit, it was raining, so good for making noise; on the open bank second time) in my early 20s; now, late 40s, more than happy for a comfy seat, good view, decent toilets, etc etc.....

On Sammy, some up here called him "Sandra" Baldock, or Sammy Bullock, last season. Because he was just a bit too pleasant, nice, decent. He wouldn't kick his granny to score a goal. And he wasn't too keen on a clear chance in one game to score with a header, as, we thought, it was likely to involve a threat to rearrange his cute, boyish good looks from a defender's forehead and or the keeper's fist. And we were struggling and needed someone, anyone, prepared to do anything to score/ grab a win (we didn't win in the league until 26th Oct). Sam missed a number of one-on-one's with the keeper and drew some criticism, as we drew games 2:2 or lost by one goal. The criticism should have been directed at the porous defence (hence the move to sign El Abd in Jan).

So, Sammy is no physical presence, lacks subtlety in 1 on 1 chances, and loses the ball too often receiving it with his back to goal (well, that was him in a struggling team last season) but he is capable of scoring despite all this and I would reckon something in the region of 15-18 goals at Champs level. But he will need other things in the team to be right for this to happen, the supply to be tailored towards him; he won't fashion goals from nothing, by himself, so much. We can all see now why Assombalonga cost so much more. Put Sam in Forest's team and he would not have scored as many as Asso has got so far, imho. He is, though, a "good egg," a fine professional, hard working and fairly nippy. Got a decent shot on him from up to 20 yards out. And the ladies will take a shine to him. And the kids. He's the sort you'd want to marry your daughter, if she was going to shack up with a footballer.

Just don't expect him to fire you lot into the Prem. Sorry!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Another question I have for you, is what many fans around the country wonder.. How have you so suddenly been able to get your attendances so high from what they previously were?!
Although I was a STH at the Withdean (sometimes sharing), I know plenty of fans who went to the Goldstone and only bothered with a couple of games a year at the Withdean: a) the tickets there were limited and you couldn't buy on the day and b) it was a really shit venue for footy - they now either have STs or go to a lot more games than they did. There are some new fans too, although not as many as some would have you believe.

And for you older folk out there, would it be a lie to say that you almost prefered the Withdean to the Amex, just for tradition?
Yes. Sure, many have good memories there, we won a few league titles, but as I said, it was an awful venue for football.

Cheers

Finally Falmer

Jul 18, 2010
I personally believe Baldock will come good. Jury's out at the moment though.

As for our attendances, now that we are at the Amex, the truth is that we have alot of season ticket holders who don't 'support' Brighton. They are 'supporters' of Premier League sides who never bother travelling to watch 'their' teams and have therefore now adopted Brighton as their 2nd team. The large catchment area that we have helps us in this respect. (or hinders depending on your viewpoint)

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I remember. Really enjoyed going to the Goldstone ground, well, the time we won there (91) mostly, not so much the time before when we lost (when Mike Gatting's brother was playing for you? Is that right?) I also recall BHA getting 30,000 in the 70s when you went up to the 1st. And bringing a v good following to Ashton Gate in about 79 (before we got relegated). Think that's your only time in the top flight (?) and you managed to combine it with reaching the cup final, of course, a great way of cementing a solid core of support to last beyond those glory years. Like us, you have had your difficult times since then, but have come through it. Unlike us, you got to build a new home fit for the 21st century. It remains to be seen whether the redevelopment of AG will have a similarly transformative effect on City as the Amex has had on BHA.

I always think there are a number of similarities between us and Brighton, although I think it would take us reaching the Prem to match the impressive attendances at the Amex. I haven't been to see us there yet, but we've got a chance of getting back to the Champs this season, so if that "chance" turns into something more solid, I will look forward to getting back down there. Assuming you chaps don't get promoted, of course:thumbsup:

I loved the Goldstone (behind the goal first visit, it was raining, so good for making noise; on the open bank second time) in my early 20s; now, late 40s, more than happy for a comfy seat, good view, decent toilets, etc etc.....

On Sammy, some up here called him "Sandra" Baldock, or Sammy Bullock, last season. Because he was just a bit too pleasant, nice, decent. He wouldn't kick his granny to score a goal. And he wasn't too keen on a clear chance in one game to score with a header, as, we thought, it was likely to involve a threat to rearrange his cute, boyish good looks from a defender's forehead and or the keeper's fist. And we were struggling and needed someone, anyone, prepared to do anything to score/ grab a win (we didn't win in the league until 26th Oct). Sam missed a number of one-on-one's with the keeper and drew some criticism, as we drew games 2:2 or lost by one goal. The criticism should have been directed at the porous defence (hence the move to sign El Abd in Jan).

So, Sammy is no physical presence, lacks subtlety in 1 on 1 chances, and loses the ball too often receiving it with his back to goal (well, that was him in a struggling team last season) but he is capable of scoring despite all this and I would reckon something in the region of 15-18 goals at Champs level. But he will need other things in the team to be right for this to happen, the supply to be tailored towards him; he won't fashion goals from nothing, by himself, so much. We can all see now why Assombalonga cost so much more. Put Sam in Forest's team and he would not have scored as many as Asso has got so far, imho. He is, though, a "good egg," a fine professional, hard working and fairly nippy. Got a decent shot on him from up to 20 yards out. And the ladies will take a shine to him. And the kids. He's the sort you'd want to marry your daughter, if she was going to shack up with a footballer.

Just don't expect him to fire you lot into the Prem. Sorry!

The worst thing is most of this has been noticable within his first few outings for us.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
A sign of things to come maybe, hopefully, but Baldock did this brilliant "Ronaldo Chop" right in front of us on Saturday and left the Blackpool midfielder for dead.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I personally believe Baldock will come good. Jury's out at the moment though.

As for our attendances, now that we are at the Amex, the truth is that we have alot of season ticket holders who don't 'support' Brighton. They are 'supporters' of Premier League sides who never bother travelling to watch 'their' teams and have therefore now adopted Brighton as their 2nd team. The large catchment area that we have helps us in this respect. (or hinders depending on your viewpoint)

Must say I find this hard to agree with ,of course you are bound to get a few who support other teams just like any other club in the country ,and some just like to watch football ,and why not ,but imo I certainly wouldnt say a lot of STH who go to the Amex support other clubs,and would be interested to know what you base your facts on ,as I would find it very bizare that someone who doesnt really support Brighton or care about them would spend a load of money on a season ticket and have all the hassle and cost of getting there ,as I would think it may be a lot easier to get to a number of premier league grounds especially in London area than it is to the Amex .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was underwhelmed when we signed him, however as I had fairly low expectations, I have been pleasantly surprised and his movement is a lot better than CMS's. However, as others have said we needed a greater physical presence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here