Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock - worst signing since when?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not a winger so not sure he can be judged until he gets a run up top. Early signs are not great, but I hope he can only improve.

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
I,m not being critical of baldock because he was bought in as a striker,and being played as a midfielder, and explain to me how from our corners he was taking up the position of our last man,he will find it hard to score from there.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I,m not being critical of baldock because he was bought in as a striker,and being played as a midfielder, and explain to me how from our corners he was taking up the position of our last man,he will find it hard to score from there.

He spent most of the game hiding and going through the motions, why do anything different from corners.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Totally unfair target for abuse. Yet again we have succeeded in signing a goal poacher and chucked them wide as a defensive wing player. All of his goals at any point in his career have been playing off someone else. I think the main issue here is signing him in the first place. Why do it when we only ever play a system of one up top that relies on us having a strong, physical striker.

I feel a bit sorry for Baldock.He is obliviously during a job for the team,playing so alarmingly out of position.I can only guess that CMS will not be with us next season, maybe even in this window.Baldock is his replacement.

Just two of several right answers ... can't for the life of me see why we are not playing him in position and with someone to do the grunt work for him.

Obviously this Manager lark is so much more scientific that I realised. I guess we all must be missing the bleedin' obvious!

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I've been following the Albion for many many years, but I've never seen a center forward (Baldock) go back and defend when we had a corner.

Very very weird.

TB

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Bit harsh to say he is that bad when we have never played him in a 4-4-2 - and why did we buy him if he wasn't going to play alongside a big striker?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He was played up front in several games and failed to impress. He isn't showing anything to suggest he was worth the money. Bad signing in my book, can't see him proving me wrong, much as I'd like him to.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I've been following the Albion for many many years, but I've never seen a center forward (Baldock) go back and defend when we had a corner.

Very very weird.

TB

Recent example? - how about Murray and Ulloa. Both played important defensive duties when defending corners.

Give Baldock a 3 game run in the middle and then judge his ability.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Baldock being played completely out of position, onto his wrong foot constantly. Let's focus of CMS shall we, who was LIGHT YEARS worse and cost a lot more.

Both his feet seem to be wrong. He has not got enough pace or height.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
I always thought that David Burke was under valued at the club, perhaps if we all said sorry he would come back and sign us someone like Heskey? 😂

spellfast

Jul 14, 2011
Stone Cross
It always amuses me how short the memories of football fans are. CMS was signed by Gus so therefore is not a sign of how we've gone backwards. He always works incredibly hard but whilst my heart says keep him my head says not. Baldock was poor and if O'Grady wants to leave he should, the club haven't treated him too well. What we really lacked today was any quality and until we get some we're going to struggle. What makes me most angry is that Brentford weren't great. The idea of them making the premiere league along with Bournemouth is simply ridiculous. This season has to be about survival then build for next season kind of reminds me of Gus's first season. The let's see what we can achieve next season once we hang on in the championship which I'm sure we'll do

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Our strikers are pretty lamentable for this level of football I'm afraid.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Agreed. Baldock is useless at this level. Lightweight and can't shoot. League 2 at best but even then impossible to tell as he barely gets a touch.
We looked lightweight with him, FC & March all ineffectual against another strong physically superior team.

Shows what you know, got the Golden Boot last season in League One :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not a winger so not sure he can be judged until he gets a run up top. Early signs are not great, but I hope he can only improve.

Very nicely put.

He has to play down the middle. CMS is just not good enough, as willing a trier as he is.

It's not only Baldock playing out of position on the wing, it's the left wing and he is clearly right footed, watching the highlights he tried to bring everything down with his right, and his touch was not great, so he kept ending further wide.......

Frustrating day.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
An odd target to pick on in my opinion. This season we've had signings! Not only that but he's a striker playing on the wing, like Colunga and CMS. Only Barnes did that with any degree of ability and he was the subject of threads exactly like this.

and how is he doing?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely if we are playing March, who can cross the ball, then COG would be the best option for a player in the box! He's not great but his attributes are better suited to balls into the box than CMS!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here