Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock: Happy or unhappy??

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I think people forget how many players can start a game of football. By what has been said on recent threads, Baldock, O Grady, Tex, Ince, Kayal, Calderon, Lualua and Holla should all be starting in midifield and further forward. Unless we play 2 at the back, we can't fit everyone in. Play 2 upfront? Think Tex would have to be dropped. 1 up front? Baldock can't play with a big man. Play with 12 men? That's not a bad shout!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Why are we not playing him centrally?

Because Lua Lua has been out injured and is not match fit. It is quite obvious Baldock is out wide because we are lacking in that area. By having him on the left of a 4-2-3-1 formation is that he can play in 2 positions: Wide Mid, inside forward. He can cut inside and have a pop.

I thought this was pretty obvious, but apparently not.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Why are we not playing him centrally?

Because Lua Lua has been out injured and is not match fit. It is quite obvious Baldock is out wide because we are lacking in that area. By having him on the left of a 4-2-3-1 formation is that he can play in 2 positions: Wide Mid, inside forward. He can cut inside and have a pop.

I thought this was pretty obvious, but apparently not.

Indeed. Well said. He has obviously been told to get central when that is required, and that is what he does. I personally think too many people get caught up in the fact that he starts on the left, therefore must stay there the whole game.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I fear he'll ultimately fail with us for the same reason CMS has - he's a striker who needs to play in a front two.

Baldock seems to be claiming he thought we played three up front when he signed for us but the fact is we don't.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just watched his press conference. No hint of unhappiness at all.

Says that defensively CH wants the team to be rigid, but going forward, they have some licence to roam. He is not used to playing out wide, but has found opportunities to come inside as the right backs do not always track him. Says it was "slightly strange" to be signed and then played out wide, but he knew we played with a front 3 when he signed and he is adapting to the new role. He does not believe he is currently being considered for the lone striker role.

So all in all, I would say this is another example of the Argus either trying to find discord where it does not exist, or their headline writers making something out of nothing. Not for the first time either.

Like I said earlier, he is getting chances to score, so why change things?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I cant see Sam getting his wish,despite being a proven goalscorer,which in its self rather strange.I would imagine him moving on .

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
When were the articles published? Is it possible the club are just pushing their own story out there when they got wind of the negative Argus one?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If Hyypia didn't want him he should have said something seeing as we signed Baldock nearly 3 months after he became manager.

1) We was already way down the line by then bit like buying a house. Sorry Sami wheels in process but he is really good honest.

2) Half the players we signed were by Burke. In fact I think only Tex and Bennett (J) were actual Sami signings

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Disagree I think Baldock could be a good signing for us, shame we don't use him in a more central role, blame the managers for that not the hapless Burke.

However he was crucial in the build up to goals on saturday and seemed to have more licence to cut inside than he had before. From the interview he does understandably sound frustrated but I think he is getting to grips with this role and now starting to make more of a nuisance of himself in the final third.

We will have to agree to disagree, the only thing Ballsack is good for is building a L1 ready squad. Players like him are two a penny. Sadly he cost £2m. £2m might I add for that GOLDEN chance he had when Beram put him thru.

And people want him in the middle when he actually found himself in the middle and fluffed it. No excuses. Sorry.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He's a much better finisher than CMS. He has a much better touch and doesn't look like a Labrador when he's chasing the ball.

With a touch more confidence, he could very much be a player similar to the style of Nicky Forster. Comparing him to CMS is ludicrous.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Curious isn't it, Baldock and COG are probably our 2 best strikers, 1 gets pushed out on the wing and the other is behind Best and CMS in the pecking order ???

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think it's a touch harsh judging Baldock until he gets his chance to play in his favoured position in a settled side, not a wonky formation full of misfits that couldn't buy a win (like earlier in the season).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its up to Baldock to carve out a name for himself during his time here. He's getting enough starts, he's just not really imposing himself on the games. That's down to him. One word summing up would be 'lightweight'.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was disppointed with Baldock when he first started but we did have Sami at the helm.

I think he has improved greatly under CH and I thought he had his best game for us on Saturday.

As already mentioned, he needs to play out wide because KLL will always be prone to injury. Once KLL is back I would be happy to give Baldock a chance as one of two strikers (but not on his own though).

Happy to keep him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looks better then CMS . Has done alright for us I think and more to come . Deffo would always be in my starting 11 .

As for the article , not pissed off but can easily see him becoming dis gruntled now he's aired this . Interesting how he's now handled . At the end of the day he is getting game time so can't rock to many boats .

I trust CH will handle it better than SH could of

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Indeed. Well said. He has obviously been told to get central when that is required, and that is what he does. I personally think too many people get caught up in the fact that he starts on the left, therefore must stay there the whole game.

Yep, the first chance we had in the first few minutes against Brum, was Baldock being passed to straight down the middle.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's a much better finisher than CMS. He has a much better touch and doesn't look like a Labrador when he's chasing the ball.

With a touch more confidence, he could very much be a player similar to the style of Nicky Forster. Comparing him to CMS is ludicrous.

100% This. CMS can't finish. He can't control the ball either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here