Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock credited with goal today

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How many times did he hit the woodwork in that goal-less streak?

Don't know. Don't care.

Murray got just 6 goals in his first season at palace from 37 games, would you say he isn't a goal scorer and using that measure, not good enough for us now?

Again, don't know, don't care, especially about his Palace stats. Murray was doing the business for the Albion good style, had a cracking partnership going with Ashley Barnes, til that head-mental looney-tune Poyet decided he was surplus to requirements. Which he wasn't.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree re the tally of goals by Hemed, but it is a problem, because a lot of those drawn games, were drawn because we weren't clinical in front of goal.

Derby at home, Sheff Wed, Burnley at home. We failed to beat the top teams largely because we failed to take presentable chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But we've just bolstered our centre forward options with signing Murray. I'll say it again. If Hemed chips in 15 and Murray gets his customary 20+ then we have the makings of a great strike force. Plus we have goals all over the squad, hence we were top scorers in the division last season. Far too much wasted time spent on the pissy little things that don't really matter regarding our forwards.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bet Palace fans said similar about Murray after his first season with them, he got 30 in his 2nd season after just 6 in his first.

Now Baldock's off the mark for league goals this season, (already has 2 in all competitions) he may go on to have a great goal scoring season for us and this goal could help get his confidence up and he could go on a good run of goals (they all count, no matter how they go in)

I never understand those who would rather be negative about important squad members rather than get behind them. Baldock is important to us and adds a lot to our attack (has a couple of assists already) and sometimes players are crucial to success even if they don't contribute in the way that some expect (ie, not scoring enough for someone who chooses to ignore all their other contributions)

Baldock is not a bad player, but lucky goal, clever flick whatever you wish to call it, should not detract from the fact that he was dreadful yesterday. As were a number of others.

Unless he reads NSC, getting behind the team should be in the stadium, this place is for discussion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But we've just bolstered our centre forward options with signing Murray. I'll say it again. If Hemed chips in 15 and Murray gets his customary 20+ then we have the makings of a great strike force. Plus we have goals all over the squad, hence we were top scorers in the division last season. Far too much wasted time spent on the pissy little things that don't really matter regarding our forwards.

Of course it matters, otherwise we'd have played Liverpool yesterday instead of Reading.

As per my previous point, it was the big games when the forwards were missing last year.

I like Hemed as much as I like Murray, not a lot between them for me, but I'd like another option similar to Baldock.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Of course it matters, otherwise we'd have played Liverpool yesterday instead of Reading.

As per my previous point, it was the big games when the forwards were missing last year.

I like Hemed as much as I like Murray, not a lot between them for me, but I'd like another option similar to Baldock.

But we missed promotion by one goal and any other season would have gone up automatically regarding points amassed. I don't get this 'it's our forwards faults' scenario. For goodness sakes, our main forward was three short of the magic 20 mark, what the hell does he have to do to convince some of you?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree re the tally of goals by Hemed, but it is a problem, because a lot of those drawn games, were drawn because we weren't clinical in front of goal.

Derby at home, Sheff Wed, Burnley at home. We failed to beat the top teams largely because we failed to take presentable chances.

Burnley at home we scored two goals. Dunk, A DEFENDER, conceded a stupid free kick which led to them getting an equaliser. QPR away we scored two goals, mistakes by Bruno and a very stupid Dunk, DEFENDERS, led to them getting two goals back.
Wolves at home, 0-0 until Goldson DEFENDER, scored a ridiculous own goal.

Again I will say it, we conceded more goals than the two promoted sides.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But we missed promotion by one goal and any other season would have gone up automatically regarding points amassed. I don't get this 'it's our forwards faults' scenario. For goodness sakes, our main forward was three short of the magic 20 mark, what the hell does he have to do to convince some of you?

The facts are we didn't go up, the other fact is we had a poor record against the other teams in the top 6, that is when you need players to step forward and none of our forwards did enough.

It is far too simplistic to say 17 goals plus however many goals Baldock scored, were enough, when apparently it wasn't - else why sign Murray?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Absolutely.

WE SCORED MORE GOALS THAN BURNLEY AND THE SAME NUMBER OF GOALS AS MIDDLESBROUGH.

WE CONCEDED MORE GOALS THAN THOSE TWO TEAMS.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Having watched the highlights a couple of times I think your discussion should be about our goalkeeper rather than our forwards. Their first goal was ridiculous (no it was worse than that, how on earth did Stockdale not save it) and the second looked savable.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Burnley at home we scored two goals. Dunk, A DEFENDER, conceded a stupid free kick which led to them getting an equaliser. QPR away we scored two goals, mistakes by Bruno and a very stupid Dunk, DEFENDERS, led to them getting two goals back.
Wolves at home, 0-0 until Goldson DEFENDER, scored a ridiculous own goal.

Again I will say it, we conceded more goals than the two promoted sides.

But we didn't take enough points from the top teams that was the bigger problem.

Very harsh to blame Bruno at QPR by the way.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Baldock is not a bad player, but lucky goal, clever flick whatever you wish to call it, should not detract from the fact that he was dreadful yesterday. As were a number of others.

Unless he reads NSC, getting behind the team should be in the stadium, this place is for discussion.

Or finding scapegoats. Baldock is just the latest.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The facts are we didn't go up, the other fact is we had a poor record against the other teams in the top 6, that is when you need players to step forward and none of our forwards did enough.

It is far too simplistic to say 17 goals plus however many goals Baldock scored, were enough, when apparently it wasn't - else why sign Murray?

But you are being simplistic, to the point of stupidity. Sorry, not trying to be insulting, but that is just crass.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But we didn't take enough points from the top teams that was the bigger problem.

Very harsh to blame Bruno at QPR by the way.....

No Bruno didn't mark his man and let him have a free header. Nothing harsh about that. Dunk got sent off, that's a fact. We let a 2-0 lead slip.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not really, he's hardly getting the same level of stick as Barnes or JFC.

The criticism of Barnes was ludicrous. No wonder he didn't want to stay. He knew what the fans were saying about him too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The criticism of Barnes was ludicrous. No wonder he didn't want to stay. He knew what the fans were saying about him too.

Absolutely agree, one of my favourite players, ability in abundance, would swap him for Stephens - if he does want out (I best say that quietly though!!!).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No Bruno didn't mark his man and let him have a free header. Nothing harsh about that. Dunk got sent off, that's a fact. We let a 2-0 lead slip.

Don't agree the back four were zonal, the midfield and forwards man mark, Austin pulled away from Bruno who was zonal, but one of the others should have been touch tight anyway. [emoji2]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here