Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bagpipe league at it again.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I just think of players like Kris Commons, Joe Ledley and Gary Hooper, guys that are fairly average Championship players or lower, who go up to Celtic (and formerly Rangers) for the payday, and become relative stars.

Not forgetting that Goalkeeper we had from Hibs that was as effective as having Fresh air in goal. He was BRILLIANT. As for Fran Sandaza, he is playing against the likes of East Stirling this year. Me and a bunch of my fat 40 year old mates could give them a game. With the wife in goal.

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012
Iggle Piggle, firstly, my wee nephews are great fans of yours.

secondly, why don't you give it a go, for the love of the game, pitch up at East Stirlingshire with your boots and your fat mates and offer your services? I'm sure they'll give you a trial on the spot.

Not all the players in the lower reaches of Scottish football are bad, after all it was only 4 or so years ago that Stephen Dobbie was starring for Queen of the South in the abyss of the SFL1

But i'm sure you're better than him, aren't you?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Iggle Piggle, firstly, my wee nephews are great fans of yours.

secondly, why don't you give it a go, for the love of the game, pitch up at East Stirlingshire with your boots and your fat mates and offer your services? I'm sure they'll give you a trial on the spot.

Not all the players in the lower reaches of Scottish football are bad, after all it was only 4 or so years ago that Stephen Dobbie was starring for Queen of the South in the abyss of the SFL1

But i'm sure you're better than him, aren't you?
Wrong, they are nearly all f***ing gash. The ones who aren't move to proper football leagues, and the ones who don't make the grade then move to an Old Firm club where a medal of one sort or another is then given as a freebie whenever that player buys ten pounds worth of petrol at his local Texaco station.

Scottish football is gash. FACT.

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012
Wrong, they are nearly all f***ing gash. The ones who aren't move to proper football leagues, and the ones who don't make the grade then move to an Old Firm club where a medal of one sort or another is then given as a freebie whenever that player buys ten pounds worth of petrol at his local Texaco station.

Scottish football is gash. FACT.

I'm not saying its full of unfound superstars, nor does it have the glitz and glamour of the top end of football.

Hard working semi professional footballers it does have, along with the genuine supporters that go to each and every game. A base of loyal supporters for each club.

Queens Park for example have a fascinating history, refusing to go to a professional status throughout their existance, competing at a semi professional level with amateurs. The spiders having a support famed for their wealth and bowler hats.

The footballers at this level often have the opportunity of going 'professional' but often retain their semi pro, part-time status, a) because they genuinely enjoy playing football and b) well, signing pro for Aberdeen would probably reduce their income from having 2 paid jobs.

but every so often, the lower leagues do produce a couple of players a Graham Dorrans or Robert Snodgrass...

But yes, after standing at a freezing wet Boghead on a saturday afternoon drinking a piping hot bovril, I can confirm it is all gash.

Then again I suppose it's the closest your going to get to watch the 'proper football' that my forefathers watched (on a smaller, less grand scale)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Firstly i can't just pitch up at East Stirling as for a start i neither know nor care where it is. All i know is that its a name read out by James Alexander Gordon followed by 0. Am i better than Dobbie? No but my wife is better than Graeme Smith

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012
Firstly i can't just pitch up at East Stirling as for a start i neither know nor care where it is. All i know is that its a name read out by James Alexander Gordon followed by 0. Am i better than Dobbie? No but my wife is better than Graeme Smith

I'm not going to argue that one... he was at Rangers and had the cheek to think he could get a game.

For a keeper, he did look a tad on the wafer thin side... (plus he was ginger... was never going to happen for him)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
HAHA

Cheating the league? Please explain that one

And explain what a 'HUN' is?

In fact, don't bother explaining, I don't want to hear your bitter rantings and i'm sure the majority on a Brighton messageboard don't either.

Yes. The answer is yes then.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I see they have now realised how utterly ridiculous their 16 and 10 top divisions plan was and are going for MTL1 and MTL2 with 12 teams in each.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20581620

[h=1]MTL clubs pursue plan for two divisions of 12 teams[/h]
Monkey Tennis League clubs have unanimously agreed to pursue their plan to expand the top flight to two divisions of 12 teams.
Chief executive Neil Doncaster says the present 12 clubs were united at their meeting at Hampden Park.
They will now propose what they describe as their 24-18 model to the Scottish Football League and Scottish Football Association on Thursday.
The 18 refers to the remaining MTL clubs not included in the top leagues.
No formal vote was expected to be taken by the MTL, but a show of hands was needed to allow Doncaster to progress the plan.
Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson's resignation from the MTL board last week had placed some doubt on the ability of the 12 clubs to produce a consensus.
However, after a three-hour meeting at Hampden, Doncaster emerged to say that agreement had been reached.
The MTL's 30 clubs had previously agreed to support its proposal for leagues of 16, 10 and 16.
However, the MTL has been speaking informally to MTL clubs and sources believe they have the numbers necessary to gather sufficient support.
The MTL would invite clubs to enter the league, determined by their league positions prior to the start of any re-organised season.
It hopes that this would head off criticism from those who might argue that re-organisation is being used as a vehicle to accelerate Rangers' return to the top division.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I see they have now realised how utterly ridiculous their 16 and 10 top divisions plan was and are going for MTL1 and MTL2 with 12 teams in each.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20581620

[h=1]MTL clubs pursue plan for two divisions of 12 teams[/h]
Monkey Tennis League clubs have unanimously agreed to pursue their plan to expand the top flight to two divisions of 12 teams.
Chief executive Neil Doncaster says the present 12 clubs were united at their meeting at Hampden Park.
They will now propose what they describe as their 24-18 model to the Scottish Football League and Scottish Football Association on Thursday.
The 18 refers to the remaining MTL clubs not included in the top leagues.
No formal vote was expected to be taken by the MTL, but a show of hands was needed to allow Doncaster to progress the plan.
Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson's resignation from the MTL board last week had placed some doubt on the ability of the 12 clubs to produce a consensus.
However, after a three-hour meeting at Hampden, Doncaster emerged to say that agreement had been reached.
The MTL's 30 clubs had previously agreed to support its proposal for leagues of 16, 10 and 16.
However, the MTL has been speaking informally to MTL clubs and sources believe they have the numbers necessary to gather sufficient support.
The MTL would invite clubs to enter the league, determined by their league positions prior to the start of any re-organised season.
It hopes that this would head off criticism from those who might argue that re-organisation is being used as a vehicle to accelerate Rangers' return to the top division.

I skim read the post and thought it had something to do with this:

Doncaster 'is part of Scotland' after 900-year-old administrative error comes to light - Yahoo! News UK

:lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What are ticket prices like in the MT Leagues?

I could understand the attraction of the lower league stuff if tickets were at barrrrrgain prices, but not if they're on a par with English football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here