Bagpipe league at it again.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its a really ODD layout of divisions. Why on EARTH would you have 16 teams in the top tier, and only 10 in the second?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who cares?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Interesting idea for the teams third and fourth bottom of the Premier Division having to fight for their survival, I guess it's an instant test for the teams who want to be promoted from the Championship to test themselves against the quality (sorry :lolol:) of the division above.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Interesting idea for the teams third and fourth bottom of the Premier Division having to fight for their survival, I guess it's an instant test for the teams who want to be promoted from the Championship to test themselves against the quality (sorry :lolol:) of the division above.

They do that in Spain, it's a brilliant system. Imagine a two legged play off between us and West Brom, for example, to decide whether we go up or they go down. Talk about pressure! It would make for some superb games.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Let them do it, the EPL is still by far the most watched and favoured league and the FL Championship by far the most difficult league. Makes no difference to us, it's evident English football is the best football to watch by the amount of international viewing/support it gets.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Whatever happens it will still be MTL1 , MTL2 and MTL3

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Considering their champions have just humiliated the greastest team on earth at home and run them very close away from home you could argue its not really broke.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
They do that in Spain, it's a brilliant system. Imagine a two legged play off between us and West Brom, for example, to decide whether we go up or they go down. Talk about pressure! It would make for some superb games.

I'm sure they did this in the late 80's. i seem to recall Middlesborough (div 2) beating Chelsea (div 1). I might be wrong.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It wouldn't be West Brom, would it?

They did this the first season (possibly the first two seasons) that the play-offs came into operation in the football league, but it was decided it put too much pressure on the sides who were battling against relegation.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm sure they did this in the late 80's. i seem to recall Middlesborough (div 2) beating Chelsea (div 1). I might be wrong.

You are indeed correct. Season 1987-88, the second (and last) season they had this format.

It wouldn't be West Brom, would it?

They did this the first season (possibly the first two seasons) that the play-offs came into operation in the football league, but it was decided it put too much pressure on the sides who were battling against relegation.

Yep, seasons 86-87 and 87-88.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

They used to do that in England - 3,4 and 5 in Div2 and 3rd bottom in Div1 (before Prem). Remember Chelsea finishing 3rd bottom and losing the final over 2 legs. I think Charlton also finished 3rd bottom but stayed up.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think I saw one of those play-off games - Gillingham v Swindon at Selhurst..

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
They used to do that in England - 3,4 and 5 in Div2 and 3rd bottom in Div1 (before Prem). Remember Chelsea finishing 3rd bottom and losing the final over 2 legs. I think Charlton also finished 3rd bottom but stayed up.

Sadly I don't remember, born in '94!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Bigger prem, smaller D1 and a inter-division playoff is copying the structure of the FAI League.

Which, while it does have competition and more than two (well now 1) club destined to win, isn't really seen as a guiding light to copy...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
It's not a competition who has the best league. I think a lot of respect should go to Scotland for producing two clubs so renowned on the continental stage such as Rangers and Celtic, considering it's a minor nation with a tenth of the population that we have.

I think the restructure plans sound good. The current system definitely contributes to the tedium and lack of competition of Scottish football.

What, and you don't think that 2-3 clubs battling out the Premier League title every year in England is tedious and contributes to lack of competition? And before you say it, yes I realise that's nothing to do with structure and everything to do with money.

The biggest issue with Scotland is that there are two football clubs that are insanely bigger than every other club in the land - one just happens to be in Div 3 for now but that won't be for long. I don't see how increasing the league from 12 to 16 is going to help, given that it will only mean more meaningless end of season mid-table games...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Considering their champions have just humiliated the greastest team on earth at home and run them very close away from home you could argue its not really broke.

Really? as much as i enjoyed catching Celtic beat Barca, i think 'humiliated' is a bit of an exaggeration.

TranmereGull

Oct 26, 2012
On the Banks of the Mersey
What, and you don't think that 2-3 clubs battling out the Premier League title every year in England is tedious and contributes to lack of competition? And before you say it, yes I realise that's nothing to do with structure and everything to do with money.

The biggest issue with Scotland is that there are two football clubs that are insanely bigger than every other club in the land - one just happens to be in Div 3 for now but that won't be for long. I don't see how increasing the league from 12 to 16 is going to help, given that it will only mean more meaningless end of season mid-table games...

And, with the Huns being in the 3rd, the SPL is the most interesting its been for donkeys yonks.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I like how the third tier will be called the FIRST DIVISION. That's even more retarded than calling it LEAGUE ONE.

Seriously, what is wrong with numbering things in logical order? Even TOP, MIDDLE and BOTTOM would be better than this shit.

Still, I've got more interest in Albania's Division 8 than I do in mickey mouse Jocko football so f*** it, let them do what they want

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports