Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BAFTA's tonight

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is. I saw that about 18 months ago. It's getting a release here finally is it?

Yes, out next week. they mentioned it had been held up for a long while. If it's good enough for you Mr Ball, it's good enough for me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can fully understand why some people would think Lincoln is boring. I found it absorbing and gained momentum with some fantastic performances. Ok, I am biased as I love Spielberg's film making and storytelling. I think it will get stiffed tonight, 10 nominations and probably just one award.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It'll be good this year.

Daniel Day-Lewis for best actor, and Anne Hathaway for best supporting.

I hope Skyfall and Les Mis do really well.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I still regard Nibble as a friend. No hard feelings. We have these spats every now and again.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I hope Speilberg comes away with nothing and Tarantino wins everything. I also hope Les Mis gets shafted.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is the OP nominated for a BAFTA ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Of the awards up for grabs i have small wishes bound to be unfulfilled about Zero Dark Thirty and Amour getting betrophied. Preferably all for the latter. I ruddy love Haneke over the last decade making his new stuff.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Of the awards up for grabs i have small wishes bound to be unfulfilled about Zero Dark Thirty and Amour getting betrophied. Preferably all for the latter. I ruddy love Haneke over the last decade making his new stuff.

Amour is mean't to be very good. Have you seen it ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Amour is mean't to be very good. Have you seen it ?

Yeah. The girlfriend tells me that when she went to the bathroom after we saw it and there were 5 women in there cleaning their blackened mascara tearstains vigorously. And my little brother wants the pigeon that appears in the film to get some kind of Best Bird award in at least one of the ceremonies this year. It's a tough watch in ways, but beautifully tragic.

We got some Sunday morning free screening tickets for it and turned up plenty of time before the start, but when the film was just rolling, the runners of the 'event' opened the door once more and let more in. There weren't enough seats in the cinema for those just let in and it was pitch black in there, so there was a couple of minutes of these desperadoes walking around and touching people they think for a moment might be seats. After a huge number of EXCUSE MEs and WHOOPS SORRYs, the JCLs had to sit on the stairs and weep there i'm guessing rather uncomfortably.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I did not think much of The Master myself, I think neither Phoenix or Seymour-Hoffman deserve a gong for that film. In fact S-H as the "enigmatic" leader of the cult was sleepwalking through the whole film, very little enigma showing.

Don't think Seymour-Hoffman deserves awards - that role was pretty much guaranteed to give someone a 'supporting actor' role, and whilst he was good I didn't think he particularly shone. Phoenix, on the other hand, was astonishing. The part he plays is a really difficult one - the character is so disconnected from normality, but also lacking in enough emotion to do many 'big' moments that it took a really unique and technically excellent performance to bring some empathy to the character. Watch the first 'processing' scene again - Phoenix is amazing.

As for Bradley Cooper, he was okay. But he really wasn't worthy of Best Actor talk. It's another case where the role was written in such a way that any decent performance would start being talked of as a great one. The fact that he is a crossover from comedy playing very much against type has also seemed, in my mind, to fool people into thinking it's a better performance than it is. If we're talking about crossover performances from this year, I would pick Channing Tatum's performances in Magic Mike, and even 21 Jump Street, as far more noteworthy.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah. The girlfriend tells me that when she went to the bathroom after we saw it and there were 5 women in there cleaning their blackened mascara tearstains vigorously. And my little brother wants the pigeon that appears in the film to get some kind of Best Bird award in at least one of the ceremonies this year. It's a tough watch in ways, but beautifully tragic.

We got some Sunday morning free screening tickets for it and turned up plenty of time before the start, but when the film was just rolling, the runners of the 'event' opened the door once more and let more in. There weren't enough seats in the cinema for those just let in and it was pitch black in there, so there was a couple of minutes of these desperadoes walking around and touching people they think for a moment might be seats. After a huge number of EXCUSE MEs and WHOOPS SORRYs, the JCLs had to sit on the stairs and weep there i'm guessing rather uncomfortably.

It sounds very good. I will check it out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This one is for Nibble.

Best British Film - Skyfall.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This one is for Nibble.

Best British Film - Skyfall.

If that's so, brilliant. I'd have liked Sightseers to have got it but Skyfall deserves the plaudits for the huge improvement Bond has gone through in this film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Best Original Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Best supprorting actor - Christopher Waltz - Django Unchained.

- - - Updated - - -

Django Unchained 2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here