Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bad News re: the flag :-(

tonebha

Jul 11, 2003
why not take it anyway and carry it through bute park behind the castle (plenty of room in there).
that way it’ll probably get spotted by the sky or news helicopters and get on telly that way.
:falmerspi :falmer: :dance:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But its not just the turnstile operators - there will be dozens of stewards outside the ground. And as Yorkie says, you can't get it through a turnstile, you need them to open up the gates to the stadium.

I'l love to see the giant flag there, and if a group of fans are prepared to go to the hassle of bringing it to Cardiff, unloading it, and attempting to get it in, then fair play to them. But I think you're being naive if you think you'll just be able to walk into the Millennium Stadium with a flag that size, without being noticed or challenged by someone.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Easy 10 said:
But its not just the turnstile operators - there will be dozens of stewards outside the ground. And as Yorkie says, you can't get it through a turnstile, you need them to open up the gates to the stadium.

I'l love to see the giant flag there, and if a group of fans are prepared to go to the hassle of bringing it to Cardiff, unloading it, and attempting to get it in, then fair play to them. But I think you're being naive if you think you'll just be able to walk into the Millennium Stadium with a flag that size, without being noticed or challenged by someone.

:lolol: :lolol:

I love it!

"Oi! you with the flag"

"What flag?"

Just the sight of 6 people trying to 'sneek' a 32' x 64' flag in is GREAT!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Just take it along and if they challange you about it tell them it's not the giant flag you've been talking about, but the smaller version. That way Middlesborough can't be too narked as their flag was giant - this one won't be!!

Can't fail.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If safety is not their concern, then surely a well-placed diplomatic phone call to Middleborough FC from somebody at the club might be the answer. If we explain the situation and they have no objection, then the authorities in Cardiff should also be reasonable about it.

I think the point should be made that the Robert Eaton Memorial Flag would, amongst other reasons, be at the game for a very serious reason - it would be there in our friend's memory. For all the fun that the flag also provides, let's never lose sight of how it came about in the first place.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
If safety is not their concern, then surely a well-placed diplomatic phone call to Middleborough FC from somebody at the club might be the answer. If we explain the situation and they have no objection, then the authorities in Cardiff should also be reasonable about it.

I think the point should be made that the Robert Eaton Memorial Flag would, amongst other reasons, be at the game for a very serious reason - it would be there in our friend's memory. For all the fun that the flag also provides, let's never lose sight of how it came about in the first place.

Good point well made.

:thumbsup:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:

I had actually been thinking that we needed to brief the Sky Sports and 5 Live commentators on the history of the flag, so that they could make comment on it rather than just filming it being passed around and saying "My, that's big!".

..... but if it's not going to be there ...... :(

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
someone parachute int the ground with it, a la fan man :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
DP - I have sent you a PM re this thread.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I have received the PM, your inbox is full...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Could we not claim it is something else?
I have an unfeasibly large head (no! not that one), perhaps I could claim it is a religious headscarf? Taking it off me would be prejudice!

Kev

Aug 4, 2003
This is totally ridiculous - why can't we bring the flag? What possible reason is there for not letting us take it?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have sent a personal e mail to the guy in charge explaining about the REMF and the history of the flag. Fingers crossed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And I've just sent this to them:

Hello All,

I am writing with a desperate plea to the stadium organisers to allow the supporters of Brighton and Hove Albion to bring our giant flag to the game on Sunday 30th May. As you might know, the flag has the required safety certificate and I believe it has been faxed to your department very recently. It seems like the decision to recommend that we leave it behind stems more from a political decision (Middlesbrough FC were told they couldn't bring theirs) than anything else although I might be wrong on that one.

Anyway, I feel compelled to write because of the strength of feeling that this club has towards that flag. It's official name is the Robert Eaton Memorial Flag and the supporters of our club dug into our pockets to raise the £3,000 that it cost to be made. Robert Eaton is the name of a loyal supporter who died in the twin towers in 9/11 and his name is never far from the thoughts of fans at Brighton games where the flag is often found draped behind one of the goals in our temporary stadium.

The flag needs 7 or 8 people to manoevre it, which means a dozen or so volunteers are prepared to go out of their way (when they could be having a pre-match pint!) just so that the flag can be given an airing. In fact, I would be so bold as to say that if you were to grant us permission to fly our flag, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the local paper (The Evening Argus) were interested enough to run a story on that alone. And I'm sure your sponsors wouldn't mind as the Sky cameras focus on the flag and all the surrounding billboardings.

If there is anything we can do to allow this to be accepted, please do let us know - even if that means getting in touch with Middlesbrough FC to ensure they understand the reasons why.

Thankyou in advance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here