Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bad News re: the flag :-(

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Just had a call from the Millennium Stadium, the guy was really apologetic but said the original decision was reversed and we can't take the giant flag along.

I am gutted.

Apparently it's just too big and when Middlesbrough asked for permission to take along their giant flag, which is about the same size, they were told no. If the Millennium Stadium then say yes to us Middlesbrough won't be happy, so it's a bit political as well.

I am very sorry this has happened, they couldn't have left it any later to let me know. I was about to arrange for the flag to travel with the Albion staff in their coach tomorrow.

Bugger it. :(

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
They've already said no to Middlesbrough, why should we be different. That's their thinking...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm sure that Middlesborough really give a f*** about some Division 2 club's flag. Stupid little jobsworths.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry, DP. This sounds like total BOLLOCKS. I am not doubting what you say - it's their reasoning which sucks. Totally arbitrary. You have to ask why they said no to Boro. Every other major European stadium has these flags - and flares, rockets, the works.

Twats. Sorry you had to be put through that. I agree with Safeway, just get it in there anyway. What are they going to do, send in the riot police?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Well, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else calling the Millennium Stadium to express your disappointment.

I've been speaking to Lee Turner at the Stadium. The Operations Manager Geraint Evans has officially recommended we don't bring the flag. If we turned up with it would they refuse us entry? Is it a risk we should take?

Feel free to contact the Millennium Stadium on 0870 013 8600. They already have the safety certificate which I faxed over a few days ago.

Last edited:

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
f*** um'. unless it's a f*** load of trouble, bring it along. would be absolutely class on the day and would have thought it's worth the 'risk'.
:ascarf:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If the people taking it just turn up with it over their shoulders as if nothing has been said it might work. Just get in line at the tunrstiles, go through one at a time feeding it though as you go.

They'll hardly notice.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Perhaps we could take one those flags that hang on the outside of a car door and pass that along the top of the Seagulls?

:(

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Take it anyway. There's nothing to lose. If they say no, they say no... Hopefully though they'll have more important things to worry about on the day!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Clearly we need to do a "power rangers" here.

Cut the flag up into smaller less impressive flags. Then once inside a selected individuals beepers will sound. All of a sudden the flag parts converge to form one giant monster killing flag!!!!

Hurrah!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a LOT of hassle to take that flag along, and I wouldn't envy the people trying to "sneak" it in anway, despite being told not to bring it. There will be stewards everywhere outside the turnstiles, and if one of them checks with the supervisor or safety officer, then you've got a big problem. What do you do with the flag if refused entry with it ?

Sorry, but daft as their rules are, I think you're only asking for trouble disobeying them, and the poor buggers who bring the flag along are going to be the ones lumbered with all the aggro.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Just what is going on here? I mean what is the problem with the flag? We can take it into Withdean for Christs sake! It's been to Swindon and Peterborough. Are the officials at one of the top venues in Europe really suggesting that London Road stadium is better equipped to handle the giant flag than them?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Benny Seagull said:
f*** um'. unless it's a f*** load of trouble, bring it along. would be absolutely class on the day and would have thought it's worth the 'risk'.
:ascarf:
Obviously it depends on finding 6 people prepared to do it, but I totally agree with this. Unless every single turnstile operator has been briefed to refuse entry to giant flags, I can't see the problem with just getting it in.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are Bristol allowed to take their flag in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here