Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back in the days before the internet

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You've called The Seagull Line on Brighton 8049, that's the number for Albion information every day, 24 hours a day...

but you will get shot when the phone bill comes in!
I remember it well!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Many a time spent on the pub phone ringing this, most memorable was the the Millwall play off game, drinking with a couple of Millwall mates. 😃

IMG_0509.jpeg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If I wasn't at the match, then it would listening to Sports Report at 5 - good old James Alexander Gordon. If I were out, then it would be heading towards the nearest TV shop to join the hordes of blokes who'd been out shopping.

I can't ever recall ringing the Seagull Line, although I must have done at least once, just for the novelty.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Going back a far way I used to wait for the Argus van to throw out its (pink ?) Evening edition to the newsagents opposite Portslade Station and rush in and buy it. Surely not pre -radio ??? :ROFLMAO:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Before the net, when I was in the Midlands.....I felt I was an Albion outcast. I relied on ceefax for snippets of news. Also SMS alerts , a high scoring game could get pricey, Radio 5 ...
it was wonderful to get the net.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That game happened in 2000, the internet was a thing back then (despite my kids thinking the late 90s/early noughties was the equivalent of the dark ages).

If I wasn't at the game back in the real pre-internet days it would be hoping Grandstand or WOS might mention our score or listening on the radio.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When I lived in Australia I listened to World Service early on Sunday morning. Live games and regular updates.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
shhuushhh quiet now, its the classified results.

Pools panel says no score draw.............

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
That game happened in 2000, the internet was a thing back then (despite my kids thinking the late 90s/early noughties was the equivalent of the dark ages).

If I wasn't at the game back in the real pre-internet days it would be hoping Grandstand or WOS might mention our score or listening on the radio.
Yes I realise the internet was available when the picture was taken, but it was more of a pain as it was the days before broadband wifi etc (it was in it's infancy in 2000), so continued to use this method for some time, unless I was already dialed in for another reason

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
How did you keep up with Albion scores when not at the game. Also living in High Wycombe I had no BBC radio Sussex at the time.

I just found this. I was obviously very pleased by this result at the time 😊
View attachment 170957
Ceefax. I was at that game. A young Zamora terrified Chester.

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
1989 a mate and I were travelling around the USA and one of the first ports of call in any town/city we arrived at was finding the local library where they usually had a copy of The Times, the only way we could find out the football news. A couple of games into that season we beat West Ham I think and were either top or second of the old Div Two and it was the highlight of wherever we’d stopped at that time, absolutely on cloud nine leaving that library.
:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here