Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back in the days before the internet

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
How did you keep up with Albion scores when not at the game. Also living in High Wycombe I had no BBC radio Sussex at the time.

I just found this. I was obviously very pleased by this result at the time 😊
IMG_1366.jpeg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How did you keep up with Albion scores when not at the game. Also living in High Wycombe I had no BBC radio Sussex at the time.

View attachment 170957
By being at the game such as the Chester one.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Your photo shows a URL on the screen: Teamtalk.com :ROFLMAO:
Yes. 1999-2000. Even I was using the internet regularly by then - even it was dial up. But to be honest, I'm not sure I would have routinely been using it for keeping up with football scores, too much bother logging on - that would still have been the radio or teletext.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Your photo shows a URL on the screen: Teamtalk.com :ROFLMAO:
I probably only had dial up at the time with 9600 baud rate modem at the time, but this is what I would use as it was quicker if you knew the page number. I used it before internet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you were out shopping, head to Dixons/Currys at 4:45, a horde of bored blokes watching the screen in the window.

Last edited:

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Back in the 70s/80s I used to phone the operator and ask if they had heard the latest score. Always came up with the latest news. Seems an age away now

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You've called The Seagull Line on Brighton 8049, that's the number for Albion information every day, 24 hours a day...

but you will get shot when the phone bill comes in!
Not if you ring it from an unmetered line in the telephone exchange*

*alledgedly

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yeah, dear old Ceefax; frantically checking every few minutes to see if Gary Hart, Paul Brooker or Paul 'sick note' Kitson had scored :)

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Do people also remember the SMS alerts that you could pay for. My heart would leap with every beep beep.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Great thread. My last game at the Goldstone was the 4-4 Orient (and what a last game). I then left for Delhi with mates for a year out RTW trip. Throughout India and Nepal I had to find the "weekly" English broadsheet paper when in the bigger towns/cities for results. I also took a small world service radio but it didn't work well in the Himalayas 😄. I will never forget being back to Kathmandu and tuning in for final day of the season results round up and hearing Hereford 1 Brighton & Hove Albion ... Cushshshsshwhsh (interference). Didn't get confirmation we had stayed up until later! Brilliant days.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

View attachment 170957
I was at that game :clap2:

I genuinely loved Nationwide League Division 3

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
BBC World Service was a godsend. Spent many an evening fiddling the aerial and twisting the dial trying to get a signal from various places in Africa and Borneo. Can clearly remember hearing all six of the goal updates from our first game at Withdean in a rainforest camp, and listening to the commentary of Chesterfields FA Cup semi final against Juninho's Middlesbrough whilst up a mountain in Malawi.

May 1997 had it on in my tent by the beach in Kenya, but had spent the day drinking my nerves away and fell asleep at half time with the last score update having Hereford 1-0 up. Woke up the next morning believing we had been relegated to the conference until i picked up a copy of the Kenyan Daily Nation in Mombasa a few days later and there was the 1-1 scoreline printed in black and white. Quite a relief!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
You've called The Seagull Line on Brighton 8049, that's the number for Albion information every day, 24 hours a day...

but you will get shot when the phone bill comes in!
In 1990-91 I lived in East Ham and whilst ceefax was my friend, my landlord was an Arsenal fan. He would go to all the home games and spend at least half an hour on their phone line every night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here