Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back in Garth's good books

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Steele, Caicedo and Estupinan in this week's selections.

Jason Steele

Steele by name steel by nature. My goodness, Jason Steele showed exactly what he was made of during Sunday's 3-0 win at Arsenal. I thought there were moments in the game where he overplayed and was inches from conceding a goal because of the risks he was prepared to take. This performance was a far cry from the game against Everton where Steele was on the end of a drubbing and conceded five goals. A week later he was facing the title challengers and running rings around them. Quite apart from Steele displaying just how good he is with his feet, he more than played his part in keeping Arsenal at bay with his hands and produced a number of important saves. This was an extraordinary performance by Brighton in extraordinary circumstances, and Steele was at the very heart of it.

Pervis Estupinan

His goal was the icing on the cake and his team's performance blew everybody away. What a display of controlled football by Brighton at Arsenal, who, until this fixture, still had hopes of lifting the title. It might still be mathematically possible but it won't on Sunday if Manchester City beat Chelsea. Brighton didn't just look like the home side, they played like the home side and eventually took their hosts apart. I don't think I've seen a more comprehensive display against a team who have dominated the league for the best part of the season for some considerable time. Pervis Estupinan was outstanding and hardly gave Bukayo Saka a kick. Brighton now go above Tottenham with two games in hand and are favourites to land a place in the Europa Conference League.

Moises Caicedo (Brighton)

Manchester City beat Arsenal at Emirates Stadium but they didn't take them apart like Brighton did. The Seagulls rolled up in north London and left with Arsenal's title dreams in tatters. There can't be anyone who is seriously expecting Erling Haaland, Ilkay Gundogan, Kevin de Bruyne and the Manchester City bandwagon to blow this now. Arsenal wanted to buy Brighton's Moises Caicedo and after this performance against the Gunners I can see why. Following his encounter with Gabriel Martinelli you could see this is a player from the old school and he's going places. They made two bids for the Ecuador international this season and it caused a terrible fuss. Brighton refused the offers and they were sizable. The player, naturally upset, took some time to get over the disappointment but to his credit settled his differences with the Seagulls and continued to produce outstanding performances, notwithstanding this extraordinary trouncing of the Gunners on their own turf.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65490056

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Steele, Caicedo and Estupinan in this week's selections.

Jason Steele

Steele by name steel by nature. My goodness, Jason Steele showed exactly what he was made of during Sunday's 3-0 win at Arsenal. I thought there were moments in the game where he overplayed and was inches from conceding a goal because of the risks he was prepared to take. This performance was a far cry from the game against Everton where Steele was on the end of a drubbing and conceded five goals. A week later he was facing the title challengers and running rings around them. Quite apart from Steele displaying just how good he is with his feet, he more than played his part in keeping Arsenal at bay with his hands and produced a number of important saves. This was an extraordinary performance by Brighton in extraordinary circumstances, and Steele was at the very heart of it.

Pervis Estupinan

His goal was the icing on the cake and his team's performance blew everybody away. What a display of controlled football by Brighton at Arsenal, who, until this fixture, still had hopes of lifting the title. It might still be mathematically possible but it won't on Sunday if Manchester City beat Chelsea. Brighton didn't just look like the home side, they played like the home side and eventually took their hosts apart. I don't think I've seen a more comprehensive display against a team who have dominated the league for the best part of the season for some considerable time. Pervis Estupinan was outstanding and hardly gave Bukayo Saka a kick. Brighton now go above Tottenham with two games in hand and are favourites to land a place in the Europa Conference League.

Moises Caicedo (Brighton)

Manchester City beat Arsenal at Emirates Stadium but they didn't take them apart like Brighton did. The Seagulls rolled up in north London and left with Arsenal's title dreams in tatters. There can't be anyone who is seriously expecting Erling Haaland, Ilkay Gundogan, Kevin de Bruyne and the Manchester City bandwagon to blow this now. Arsenal wanted to buy Brighton's Moises Caicedo and after this performance against the Gunners I can see why. Following his encounter with Gabriel Martinelli you could see this is a player from the old school and he's going places. They made two bids for the Ecuador international this season and it caused a terrible fuss. Brighton refused the offers and they were sizable. The player, naturally upset, took some time to get over the disappointment but to his credit settled his differences with the Seagulls and continued to produce outstanding performances, notwithstanding this extraordinary trouncing of the Gunners on their own turf.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65490056
He's got Caicedo on the left and Estupinan on the right of a back three.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“Brighton now go above Tottenham with two games in hand and are favourites to land a place in the Europa Conference League.”

An odd statement indeed. He is essentially saying:

Brighton now go above my beloved Tottenham into 6th place with two games in hand but are still favourites to drop into 7th and get a place in the Europa Conference League.”

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“I thought there were moments in the game where he overplayed and was inches from conceding a goal because of the risks he was prepared to take.”

Garth’s ‘overplayed’ is RDZ’s ‘perfection’. I’m thinking of the centimetre or two Xhaka was away from a Steele pass. 5 seconds later and Enciso almost has top bins.

CaergybiGull

Aug 13, 2020
Caergybi, Ynys Môn
Loath or Loth, most commonly the former.
Well slap my ass and call me Charlie. I went and looked at this and you're completely correct (didn't look at 'Loth' tho'.) You learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the education.

[edit] Oh and irt the topic, what fantasy world is Crooks on with his narrative on the Caicedo transfer stuff? Such a pillock.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Mitoma?? :lolol: unreal.
IMG_3085.jpeg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mitoma missed easy chances that made the game far more difficult for Brighton than it should have been. He's IN!

Kaoru Mitoma (Brighton): What a season this lad has had. How he wasn't on the score sheet in the 3-1 win against Southampton I don't know. He hit everything apart from the back of the net. He is lightning quick and runs almost as fast with the ball at his feet. Kaoru Mitoma is playing out of his skin and in today's market is worth at least £70m of anybody's money, but Brighton must keep him if they can. The Japan midfielder has played a major part in Brighton's climb up the table. His ball for Evan Ferguson to score his second goal of the game was absolutely glorious. Brighton's success has set them up for a Europa League place next season and they must improve their squad and keep their best players if they are going to come out of their European experience unscathed. Midweek European football and a return to Premier League duty on Sundays takes its toll.​

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I saw that earlier on this morning – unbelievable (Jeff)! Yes, he played an inch perfect assist, but what about the fella who scored TWO of the facking goals? Shirley Garth's team can play 4-3-3?

'Kaoru Mitoma is playing out of his skin...' He's really not, mate. By his standards, his levels have dropped (but then Sunday was his best performance for a while, so...).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I saw that earlier on this morning – unbelievable (Jeff)! Yes, he played an inch perfect assist, but what about the fella who scored TWO of the facking goals? Shirley Garth's team can play 4-3-3?

'Kaoru Mitoma is playing out of his skin...' He's really not, mate. By his standards, his levels have dropped (but then Sunday was his best performance for a while, so...).
Lol…..remember him picking Dunk when we beat Wolves (who had one chance) 6/0 🤦‍♂️

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
His team of the season predictably consists of top 4 teams only, plus Kane. With 6 Man City players.

So thought I would take the opportunity to make up my team of the season. Put Dunk and Estupinan in the defence, all good so far, then found Caicedo wasn't a choice for midfield so gave up.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
His team of the season predictably consists of top 4 teams only, plus Kane. With 6 Man City players.

I think this proves he barely watches any of the matches. It's like if you asked a 10 year-old to pick their Premier League Dream Team, rather than a paid "journalist" giving their educated insights into the best players over the course of a season.

Reactions: A1X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here