Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Back him or sack him

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Because we are not getting dicked week in week out.

There is only one winger at the club, and he only played 20 minutes last night.

I put the performances v 'Boro down to Sami getting schooled by their manager, and the performance v Rotherham down to our lack of confidence and goal shyness.
The other team get paid too.

Whereas v Spurs Sami changed his tactics (not the actions of a stubborn man) and once again our lack of fire power was there for all to see.

Is that Sami's fault?

Why blow the whole thing up, when with a striker and 'assist' man things could/should be looking a lot better.
A new manager isn't overrun with options until January, and we're not completely broken.

There must be some cash to spend, come the 1st of February (Ideally 2nd of January) we'll know exactly who's to 'blame' for the current failings at the club.

I'm not sure increasing our number of wingers will benefit our midget strikers?! I do find your stubborn resistance to anything suggesting Hyppia should be sacked quite strange given we still are not winning games and getting enough points and Hyppia has not shown any signs of improving that so far this season. Would sacking him improve our results? no-one really knows but keeping him runs the risk of the situation getting irreversibly worse so perhaps replacing him with a manager that might utilise a system more suited to the players at his disposal and a system they might be more receptive to and comfortable with may yield better dividends. Even better if that manager has an ounce of personality that might endear him to the fans and also boost the confidence of the players.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was said on NSC that SH was 5th choice and the 4 ahead of him still havent got a job so must assume that was possibly Clark Hughton Sherwood and McKay in whatever order so in the very unlikely event that TB sacks SH we shoulc be able to recruit somebody very quickly, in fact within about 24 hours. Just make sure its not the horrible little man Billy Davies ex Forest.

I don't follow your logic. If it were true that Sami was 5th choice, and we could not get any of the 4 above him then, why would they join now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Improved terms and conditions (wages) it happened with Coppel he turned us down originally but accepted when we went back again so can only assumd it was for better terms.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I don't follow your logic. If it were true that Sami was 5th choice, and we could not get any of the 4 above him then, why would they join now?

To be fair, there is no logic involved when it comes to managerial appointments. Lee Clark to Blackpool being a good recent example! I certainly don't recall Hyppia being noted as being 5th choice and who could possibly know what order the other contenders may or may not have been placed? Either way if there were choices above Hyppia they may have been holding out for better jobs at the time so it could be possible they may now be persuaded to come and save us from relegation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was posted by Lenny Rider after attending a funeral of a local football well known person, that SH was 5th choice according to a person high up in this club.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It was posted by Lenny Rider after attending a funeral of a local football well known person, that SH was 5th choice according to a person high up in this club.

All sounds a bit 'my mates dads cousin heard down the pub etc etc' to me and to be taken with a pinch of salt. Regardless, I think there were clearly other candidates other than hopeless Hyppia and if any of them are still out of a job then I would imagine we would stand a better chance of getting them now if they are still out of work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure increasing our number of wingers will benefit our midget strikers?! I do find your stubborn resistance to anything suggesting Hyppia should be sacked quite strange given we still are not winning games and getting enough points and Hyppia has not shown any signs of improving that so far this season. Would sacking him improve our results? no-one really knows but keeping him runs the risk of the situation getting irreversibly worse so perhaps replacing him with a manager that might utilise a system more suited to the players at his disposal and a system they might be more receptive to and comfortable with may yield better dividends. Even better if that manager has an ounce of personality that might endear him to the fans and also boost the confidence of the players.

It's true I need to find a way to back down from Stick with Sami.
After all, right from day 1, I have only ever been at best Team Fence.

I guess I just don't want us to be like everybody else, demanding to win every game and sack everyone deemed a failure after just a handful of games.
He is on a 3 year contract.

Obviously I realise I'm holding the stable door, while the horse has not only bolted out of the field, but won the 3:30 at Haydock, and is currently been served up with a cheeky Chablis in a Parisian bistro. Nevertheless I can but dream.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
All sounds a bit 'my mates dads cousin heard down the pub etc etc' to me and to be taken with a pinch of salt. Regardless, I think there were clearly other candidates other than hopeless Hyppia and if any of them are still out of a job then I would imagine we would stand a better chance of getting them now if they are still out of work.

That opinion depends on whether you believe it only takes 3 months to build a table topping side from scratch, or not.

I am a firm believer of giving a manager a whole season to set the foundation to build from. If others want a replacement after 3 months that's fine, but I doubt it would have the desired effect if put into practice.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I love it when people give a choice of two of their own conclusions. Clearly there are no other factors to consider ???

It was a question, not a conclusion. Nothing is going to change with Sami in charge. The question is how long he goes on and how that impacts on the club, leave it to late and we may not recover. I say let's look at hindsight now, not wait until we leave it to late and then ask the question why did we not get rid of him earlier. As for factors, surely people will have their own opinion, you choose to believe that the manager is not the problem and it's the players, other believe we have good players and it's the manager, time will tell.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It was said on NSC that SH was 5th choice and the 4 ahead of him still havent got a job so must assume that was possibly Clark Hughton Sherwood and McKay in whatever order so in the very unlikely event that TB sacks SH we shoulc be able to recruit somebody very quickly, in fact within about 24 hours. Just make sure its not the horrible little man Billy Davies ex Forest.

Link please.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It's true I need to find a way to back down from Stick with Sami.
After all, right from day 1, I have only ever been at best Team Fence.

I guess I just don't want us to be like everybody else, demanding to win every game and sack everyone deemed a failure after just a handful of games.
He is on a 3 year contract.

Obviously I realise I'm holding the stable door, while the horse has not only bolted out of the field, but won the 3:30 at Haydock, and is currently been served up with a cheeky Chablis in a Parisian bistro. Nevertheless I can but dream.

I think we have already proven we are not like everyone else since most other teams would have (indeed some have) sacked their manager on this kind of run. Personally it's not just the lack of results that irks me but Hyppia just doesn't feel like the right manager for this club, I'm certainly not expecting to win every game but just some of them would be nice! Hyppia biggest fault, along with a perceived lack of personality, is that everything about his teams style, tactics and formation is just so bloody vague, here we are in November and I still don't get what he's trying to achieve or how he's trying to do it??!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Link please.

I have tried a search, not very succesfully with my IT knowledge. Lenny Rider said towards the end of last week he attended a funeral of a person in local football and afterwards was talking to somebody high up in the Albion who said that SH was 5th choice behind, but he wouldnt say who, only that all 4 were still without a job.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was a question, not a conclusion. Nothing is going to change with Sami in charge. The question is how long he goes on and how that impacts on the club, leave it to late and we may not recover. I say let's look at hindsight now, not wait until we leave it to late and then ask the question why did we not get rid of him earlier. As for factors, surely people will have their own opinion, you choose to believe that the manager is not the problem and it's the players, other believe we have good players and it's the manager, time will tell.

To be fair I am not asking the question, but if you want an answer, it would be for the rest of the season.

You can use hindsight now if you want but I will stick to my foresight :thumbsup:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
That opinion depends on whether you believe it only takes 3 months to build a table topping side from scratch, or not.

I am a firm believer of giving a manager a whole season to set the foundation to build from. If others want a replacement after 3 months that's fine, but I doubt it would have the desired effect if put into practice.

I disagree, I wasn't expecting table topping after 3 months in charge but neither was I expecting 4th bottom with only 2 wins against 2 of the poorest teams in the division! Look, I'd like nothing better than to be made to look a right mug and for Hyppia to inspire us to a decent run that gets us up table a bit, I just can't see that happening.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

This made me laugh Stat-----there's hope for you yet:wink:

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
If he did go and they put jones in charge temporarily, do you think Jones would imeaditely change our system or stick with the one sami has been inflicting on our current squad?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If he did go and they put jones in charge temporarily, do you think Jones would imeaditely change our system or stick with the one sami has been inflicting on our current squad?

having seen his Charlton DS team and last season, I think he would change it the next game. Back to a solid defence and keep ball.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I disagree, I wasn't expecting table topping after 3 months in charge but neither was I expecting 4th bottom with only 2 wins against 2 of the poorest teams in the division! Look, I'd like nothing better than to be made to look a right mug and for Hyppia to inspire us to a decent run that gets us up table a bit, I just can't see that happening.

After failing in the last January transfer window, throwing away a promotion chance, that led to Oscars departure, a new manager coming in, the loss of Ulloa, an awful preseason, 11 new players signed, and a new system to learn with a team of strangers, I knew that we would have a bad start to the season, so I am not surprised at where we are now. The club has suffered a domino effect and it is Sami who has to reset the pieces, so we shouldn't underestimate the task he has at hand.

If he joined us with an established squad and we were in this position I would probably be less forgiving.

What I do know is that there were lots of positives from yesterday including passion, fight and two well taken goals, so if that is all we have to build from I will take it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here