I just got back. Bloody long walk that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Disagree.

The match thread is mainly for people who are listening on the radio.

The 'back from the match' threads are interesting as have opinions of people who were actually there.
I agree with this fine young man.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It's relevant since it differentiates him from the other centre back. There is nothing racist about describing someone as black; it's as acceptable as describing someone by their distinctive hair colour or style.

If he's big, if he's black, if he's a centre back, then there's no problem calling him a big, black centre back.

Fact is, like it or not, there are more white people than black in this country therefore referring to him as black to help identify him is very helpful. People should stop being so damn PC.

If we were in Niger and talking about a white centre back in Niger Division Two, it would be very sensible and relevant to refer to him as the white centre back.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM, people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's relevant since it differentiates him from the other centre back. There is nothing racist about describing someone as black; it's as acceptable as describing someone by their distinctive hair colour or style.

But it's a useless differentiation given the sizable number reading this thread who didn't go to this game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he's big, if he's black, if he's a centre back, then there's no problem calling him a big, black centre back.

Fact is, like it or not, there are more white people than black in this country therefore referring to him as black to help identify him is very helpful. People should stop being so damn PC.

If we were in Niger and talking about a white centre back in Niger Division Two, it would be very sensible and relevant to refer to him as the white centre back.

See the post above.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There were long periods in the first half when there was yet more evidence of Oscar's philosophy of getting the ball forward quickly and pretty exciting it was too. We did our traditional trick of starting the first 10 minutes of the second half slowly and poorly, only this time it lasted 35 minutes; a better team than Donny would have scored at least one more, possibly two. By about 70 mins a decent chunk of our fans had not only stopped singing, but were starting to gently get on the team's case. The substitutions turned out to be extremely prescient and the last 10 minutes were excellent - we were rampant.

The photo of Oscar patting his heart to the fans doesn't do him justice. He was seriously pumped up and clearly ecstatic. He may come across as cool, calm and collected in interviews, dispassionate even, but, make no mistake, the man wants to win. The fans responded in kind, giving him a rousing reception.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
He may come across as cool, calm and collected in interviews, dispassionate even, but, make no mistake, the man wants to win. The fans responded in kind, giving him a rousing reception.

When we spoke with Tony Bloom last week he said that many underestimate him because of his persona.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Exactly, which is why I tend to get referred to as "the white guy" because when I go out in Soweto I am generally the only white person within 10 miles or so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, would you make the same point if he said 'young' center back?

I'm making a point about a useless adjective. 'Young', like 'black', could not be used to differentiate as I do not know any of the other player's ages. Differentiation needs a reference point for it to work.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would like to say that Husty was a BEAST at centre half in the morning match against Donny fans.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I really don't know what the fuss is about.

In a predominantly white football team, what is wrong with differentiating a player by their 'suspected' geographic origin?

I.e.
John: 'Their defender was outstanding today'.
Paul: 'Which one, John?'
John: 'The Asian defender'.
Paul: 'Oh yeah, he was excellent'.

Asian/Black/White/Wookie/Hispanic can all be used to quickly and easily point out whom your are referring to.

Now stop being so bloody boring and get on with something useful or enjoy what you have left of the weekend!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here