Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AZ Keeper sending off

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If the ref has correctly applied the laws of the game, then they MUST change the laws, because that was a disgrace, and well done to the AZ manager for taking the team off..

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If the ref has correctly applied the laws of the game, then they MUST change the laws, because that was a disgrace, and well done to the AZ manager for taking the team off..

What do you mean "if"? Of course he did.
Still bloody stupid law though, that should be the punishment for any fan that runs on the pitch.

Saying that though, if the fan was a Burnley player on Satdi, he still wouldn't have been spoken to by Pawson.

Sadly the keeper went a little too enthusiastic in his self-defence technique.
That's what got him carded.

The hoolie would have been taken downtown and been banged up for assault and trespass public affray violence disorder fined heavily etc, and barred from footy for life.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
The referee was correct. The goalkeeper committed an act of Violent Conduct on the field of play. Just because it didn't involve another player there is no excuse for it.

Ajax-AZ Abandoned After Keeper Sent Off For Kicking Fan (Video) | Football Gossip

Ajax-AZ Abandoned After Keeper Sent Off For Kicking Fan (Video)

December 21st, 2011 Kenny_Gibson

Wednesday night’s Dutch Cup Fourth Round match between Ajax and AZ Alkmaar at the Amsterdam Arena has been abandoned after AZ’s goalkeeper Esteban Alvarado was sent off after kicking a fan.

The incident happened in the 38th minute when a fan ran towards the Costa Rican keeper and attempted to kick him in the face. Alvarado threw the fan to the ground and proceeded to kick him at least twice. The interloper was then taken away by stewards but Alvarado was shown a red card by referee Bas Nijhuis. AZ coach Gerjan Verbeek walked on to the pitch and ordered his players off. The AZ team refused to return and referee Nijhuis had no choice but to abandon the game.

After the match Nijhuis told Dutch reporters that it had been “a black day” but added that he had no choice to send off Alvarado as he had committed an assault.

“I can understand that he was defending himself but he could have walked away once the steward was on the field,” said the referee.

A 19-year-old man was arrested after the incident and told police that he “does not like” the AZ keeper. Dutch media reports suggest he had been drinking.

Later, AZ’s technical director Earnest Stewart said that after the incident his side’s players had said that they no longer felt safe after the incident hence their decision to refuse to take to the pitch.

“They said we’re going home. What happens here does not belong in a home field,” he said.

Ajax director Danny Blind described the incident as ‘madness.’

“This is dramatic. I have never experienced this before. AZ were clear. The players did not feel safe anymore. What do you say? This is a very low point.”

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
So,the ref was right according to the letter of the (football) law.

Shame he had no common sense,really.

Perhaps the police should have arrested the goalkeeper ? Alkmaar would still not have been safe on the pitch,of course,though a substitute would have been allowed for the arrested player.

Ajax,Alkmaar,or both expelled from the cup ?

kano

Jun 17, 2011
The referee was correct. The goalkeeper committed an act of Violent Conduct on the field of play. Just because it didn't involve another player there is no excuse for it.

of course there is an excuse for it, for example 'this man ran onto the field of play where he doesnt belong and tried to kick me in the head'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is getting silly. There was an incident in Serbia? Croatia? a few weeks ago when a fan ran on the pitch, broke a player's cheekbone, and when one of his team-mates got him on the floor and kicked him (a couple of beauts, actually) - a red card. Likewise the incident in the non-league a few months ago - another red card.

While the law, sensibly, dictates that they shouldn't get involved with pitch invaders, there's an interesting parallel (in this country) with how someone who invades/trespasses your home or property can be dealt with. i.e. a certain amount of force, especially if there is a given danger. At the very least the football authorities could look at it in those terms.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have sympathy for the keeper, it looked like the "fan" was going to try to drop kick him from behind, it was lucky he turned and saw him just in time. His reaction was maybe a little over the top but, the idiot could have ended the keeper's career if he had landed his lunge.
On paper, the ref had to send him off but why should a team be deprived of a player by the act of an idiot running on like that ? The game should be replayed with the goalkeeper available for selection.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
i think it depends on the old fight or flight instinct. some players would have run a mile and some would have opened up the hong kong book of kong phoo! the fan could have had a knife on him so i think the keepers within his rights to incapacitate the bloke. i also know a couple of keepers who would have swung and missed!

Aug 23, 2011
I did think the non-league one where all the player did was assist the stewards who couldn't catch the man was ridiculous, however the AZ goal keeper did give the fan a kicking when he was on the ground which is a bit unnecessary as the stewards were there then but if you read the article about it it doesn't show the fan attacked the goalie first so i can see why he did it but i can also see the refs point of view too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Instinctive reaction by the player who was just assaulted. Ref is entitled - in fact has a responsibility - to use common sense. Should not have red carded him. In addition - the ref did that "striding over being the big man - give the red from a long way off" thing which always inflames people. If he did want to send him off at least he could have got the skipper and maybe even the manager together with the player and explained first. Ridiculous, pompous management of the situation.

As the manager I would also have called my team off. In an environment where you may be attacked but where you can't defend yourself, there is no option.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No question that the ref had to send the keeper off as per the rules.

BUT.

The rules are a joke.

Agreed. If a player attacks a fan in the stands send him off, give him extra punishment. If a fan enters the field of play, something they are forbidden to do, players should be allowed to protect themselves.

The problem I can see arising from this attitude, though, is what happens next? If that keeper stayed on the pitch and the game continued, would the initial attacker's friends try to storm the pitch and get the keeper for kicking his friend? How frequently would friends try to get a player after their friend was beaten up having invaded the pitch?

It is getting silly. There was an incident in Serbia? Croatia? a few weeks ago when a fan ran on the pitch, broke a player's cheekbone, and when one of his team-mates got him on the floor and kicked him (a couple of beauts, actually) - a red card. Likewise the incident in the non-league a few months ago - another red card.

While the law, sensibly, dictates that they shouldn't get involved with pitch invaders, there's an interesting parallel (in this country) with how someone who invades/trespasses your home or property can be dealt with. i.e. a certain amount of force, especially if there is a given danger. At the very least the football authorities could look at it in those terms.

Hmm, not really. Every man has a right to defend his person and his property.
Defending, in a public place, is seen in another light - and is more open to be judged.
If you saw two people fighting on West Street, is it okay for the person who was affronted to go free and claim all damages from the person who made the initial confrontation?
What if someone had shoplifted from your sports store, and you cornered them outside and when they put up resistance you gave them a shoeing on the road in the gutter? Would you be shocked to have a public affray charge levelled against you, or could you insist you applied completely necessary and reasonable force?
Shouldn't it be right enough to detain the miscreant, or is meting out on-the-spot punishment now the only-right-thing-to-do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here