Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looks like the government have focussed Bransons mind - he’s selling shares in Virgin Galactic to help Atlantic going

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Rarely agree with Ryanair boss

But he’s right.

Can’t claim we at basing a 14 day quarantine on science whilst letting France/Ireland off plus lorry drivers etc

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Apologies if already been posted.

Some designs for economy airlines seats post Coronavirus.

Looks a little bit awkward if you need to leave your seat mid flight for the bathroom, probably a little more space between rows is required. Not sure how much that would reduce capacity.

JANUS_front-view-916x516.jpg

JANUS_top-view.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How can you police self isolation with flights in with the numbers it will be.

Impossible

Yeh and the air you breathe is inevitably going to be contaminated. One symptomatic person could infect the whole plane.

To me, it's not that they have been in another country that is the problem, as there's nowhere worse off than us. It's more that they've just been in a very confined space that presents the risk.

This is why we need testing to capacity to be more accurate and 10 times more prevalent. You shouldn't be able to step on a plane anywhere unless you've had a very recent test that show's you're clear.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Might make getting a ferry more attractive to people as you can stay in your car or go out on to an open air deck. People may see that as much lower risk than getting on a plane..

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Surely the only true way around this is a reliable test that can be done in minutes - I read a while ago I think Qatar or Dubai had been blood testing people coming through the airport and getting results within minutes, obviously on LHR or Gatwick scale it’s pretty impossible to do that, but mandatory testing before you fly seems like the only truly safe option.

Impossible?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Surely the only true way around this is a reliable test that can be done in minutes - I read a while ago I think Qatar or Dubai had been blood testing people coming through the airport and getting results within minutes, obviously on LHR or Gatwick scale it’s pretty impossible to do that, but mandatory testing before you fly seems like the only truly safe option.

Impossible?

You obviously have not been to either of these middle eastern airports, they dwarf Gatwick. So no, not impossible if these tests are actually available.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You obviously have not been to either of these middle eastern airports, they dwarf Gatwick. So no, not impossible if these tests are actually available.

I did mean numbers wise, not size of airports, Abu Dhabi airport services around 24m people per year whilst Gatwick has 46 million and Heathrow 80 million. But I guess the problem is financially these tests are probably exceptionally expensive.

The only realistic way anyone should be allowed to travel on a plane is if they have been tested in the last 24 hours or if immediate tests are available & reliable at the airport. They are apparently training COVID sniffer dogs, which could be a big help in airports.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Impossible?

Dubai or Doha arent any different from Heathrow or Gatwick in scale (some pedant can look up the annual passenger numbers to disprove that out of boredon but my point they are all major international hubs - except Gatwick!).

Emirates has been testing in Dubai but Doha isnt doing any - however the testing is being done in an vastly reduced passenger numbers environment - Doha airport is operating at a far greater scale than Dubai currently, Qatar probably the only global airline operating close to what resembles an international network right now.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
TUI looking to shed 8,000 jobs however appear to have had a huge bail out from the German Government.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9344475 said:
Apologies if already been posted.

Some designs for economy airlines seats post Coronavirus.

Looks a little bit awkward if you need to leave your seat mid flight for the bathroom, probably a little more space between rows is required. Not sure how much that would reduce capacity.

JANUS_front-view-916x516.jpg

JANUS_top-view.jpg

I like this configuration; stops people encroaching on my space.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It doesn't matter - there's a big glass/plastic screen shielding them from each other.

On reflection I’d prefer the screen to be opaque; could be bit uncomfortable if some hottie is siting there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here