Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Averaging 2 points per game

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was just thinking that it usually takes 2 points per game to win the Championship but this year there are 5 doing it.

I understand. But, apart from the Albion I don't know who the top 5 have played. They might have all be playing a lot of lesser teams which will skew the results. I'm happy where we are but we need a couple of key signings to push on I think.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Eeeesss difficult. Our style makes us hard to beat, and any significant change might well be detrimental overall. I'm just pleased to be in for the journey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
cos it ain't happened in last 15 years. Point is that the top is looking quite flat. Championhip is starting to look like Premiership with 3 leagues within leagues: those who might go up. those who might go down, and the rest in the middle.

At the end of the season maybe not. But how does this compare to previous seasons after just 15 games?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They probably will. All the talk about lack of goals is missing a key point: Albion are the most consistent team. The big 4 will not maintain their current 2+ points per game. Hang in there...

I'll agree with this :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thought this was clear - there has not been a situation in last 15 years when 5 teams were averaging 2+ pts per game after 15 games.

Oh sorry. My bad. Ignore me :lolol:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I understand. But, apart from the Albion I don't know who the top 5 have played. They might have all be playing a lot of lesser teams which will skew the results. I'm happy where we are but we need a couple of key signings to push on I think.

I posted on another thread that there is little difference in how many of the top 10 that Albion and big 4 have played. Problem is that the top 10 keeps changing. Funny that...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One thing is certain. Unless we bring in a decent forward we aren't going up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hemed is only 3 goals behind the top scorer.

And what's his record like in the last 8 or 9 games since KLL got injured? And Baldock? 34 year old Bobby's injured, Manu's not up to it. We have to get someone in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I posted this the other day on another thread.

Below is the last five seasons of promoted teams (auto and play off) and the average PPG (first) and GPG (second). Brighton are currently averaging 2.07 PPG and 1.27 GPG. So on that form would get promoted with the lowest GPG...

14/15

Bournemouth 1.96 2.13
Watford 1.93 1.98
Norwich 1.87 1.91

13/14

Leicester 2.22 1.8
Burnley 2.02 1.57
QPR 1.74 1.30

12/13

Cardiff 1.89 1.57
Hull 1.71 1.33
Palace 1.57 1.59

11/12

Reading 1.93 1.91
Southampton 1.91 1.85
West Ham 1.87 1.76

10/11

QPR 1.91 1.54
Norwich 1.83 1.80
Swansea 1.74 1.5

Ta. This is the most informative post, although I'm more interested in the points and/or PPG of the third place as, so long as we can get one more (or a superior goal difference) than them, I might open a bottle of pop and treat the Mrs afterwards. The same goes for seventh place.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And what's his record like in the last 8 or 9 games since KLL got injured? And Baldock? 34 year old Bobby's injured, Manu's not up to it. We have to get someone in.

Bobby is back for Saturday (see the tweet posted on the match thread)

With the injuries we have, we're still maintaining the 2 points a game average which is consistency. Of course I'd like us to spend millions on a wonderful striker, who wouldn't? But, we're doing ok at the moment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
...and it's Hull v 'Boro on Saturday.

The others in the top five have got a number of tough games in the next few games:

Hull v Middlesbrough
Hull v Derby
League Cup - Quarter-Final
Man City v Hull
Leeds v Hull
Hull v Bolton
Hull v Reading
Rotherham v Hull
Hull v Burnley

Wolves v Burnley
Burnley v Brighton
Cardiff v Burnley