Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Average Brighton signings that excited you at the time

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There can't be a more "average signing that excited you at the time" than CMS. To be fair, his first year was acceptable, a scissor kick at Burnley, a lovely goal at home to Leeds and one or two other moments. Then he just got crap, injured and even more crap. After his first season, the only thing of note I remember him doing was his magnificent cross for Ulloa in the last minute at Forest...

[yt]0_2F4-c_gLM[/yt]

...that led to this: (any excuse to show it)

[yt]i49-WpW1Ey0&t=112s[/yt]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Les Briley (I think I found out one night on the "Seagull Line"). In the days of Wendy Wilkins and Codner, I thought he was just the type of no-nonsense hard man we were crying out for at the time to beef up our midfield.

Crucially, what I hadn't taken into account was the fact that his legs had gone, and that he was utter, utter dogshit.

Nov 22, 2017
BN1
My earliest memories of unfulfilled promise were in the late 70's when we signed John Ruggierio, as he had a flare name.
Around the same time I thought we signed a couple of Peruvian players in the wake of the 78 World Cup which was highly exciting at the time but turned out to be not only disappointing but untrue.
I still get a wave of excitement when someone new signs.... usually followed by disappointment.

Percy Rojas and Juan Oblitas - not quite Ardiles and Villa, I don't recall either making a start in old Div1.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Martin Chivers and Frank Stapleton.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Of our more recent players I thought Rohan Ince was going to be a top player - but no.:(

Me too. And who can forget this goal?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It was the best ever Albion debut I have ever seen. He really did look the business, we were pinching ourselves that we had loaned a player of such quality. AMAZING performance

Agreed. He was absolutely outstanding in that game. And I remember everyone around me saying the same. Maybe it was just one game when he reached his absolute peak. Or maybe injuries did for him?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My earliest memories of unfulfilled promise were in the late 70's when we signed John Ruggierio, as he had a flare name.

Scored on his debut too, didn't he? Away at Southampton (I was there - remember the Dell being so sh*t I could only see the far goal - where he scored, I think. Lots of 'trouble' that day, too).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Mickey Thomas for me.
I was excited when we signed him, but it was money well wasted.

The list is very long indeed, but out of all the names mentioned so far this is the one I'd plump for. A very exciting player and one my favourites who played for another club. Just having someone who used to be a regular at Man Utd created a massive buzz. I remember when we signed him thinking what a fantastic job Mike Bailey was doing (and I suppose he was), but Thomas was a huge let down. It just seemed like he couldn't be bothered - we were too small time for him.

Great thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here