Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Aussie Rules Football

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm in Aus at the moment on my way home from taking a group to see the NZ v Aus test series.
I'll be at Collingwood v St.Kilda on Thurs, then on Saturday a double-header of North Melbourne v Fremantle and Hawthorn v Melbourne. I have a ticket for F1 qualifying on Sat but I fancy the AFL more.
I'll be at the F1 on Friday and Sunday.

The Aussie group of cricket fans I've been with for the last few weeks eat and breath AFL, every day the banter was about AFL rather than the cricket. Nice people and great fun.

I popped into Sydney on my way from NZ to Melbourne and managed to see Waratahs v Auckland Blues (rugby union) and also Manly Sea Eagles v Sydney Roosters (rugby league).
There's so much sport going on and generally in big stadiums which makes it easy to see games.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I’m heading out for some of the Lions tour next year (just got the flights to sort out) and hope to get to some AFL when I’m there. They seem to be playing a lot in the Marvel Stadium now? Last time I went, a few years ago, I saw it at the MCG in the days when they let you kick a ball around on the outfield afterwards.

Will it be easy enough to get tickets for a normal game? Seemed to be a few options when I looked for this year.

I once took a flight down to Hobart from Melbourne and sat next to a guy called Peter Hudson, who was friendly and invited us to visit their family down there. I later found out that he was AFL royalty no less!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The games in Melbourne are at the MCG and Marvel Stadium every weekend.
Mostly, it's easy to get a ticket on the day.
Even if it's a massive derby game you can get tickets with a small amount of advance planning.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The games in Melbourne are at the MCG and Marvel Stadium every weekend.
Mostly, it's easy to get a ticket on the day.
Even if it's a massive derby game you can get tickets with a small amount of advance planning.
AFL used to be called VFL (Victorian football league), in Melbourne they live and breathe it.

The most heated Australia football event I've attended is the State of Origin which is NSW v QLD (Rugby League), pretty intense...

I'm in Aus at the moment on my way home from taking a group to see the NZ v Aus test series.
I'll be at Collingwood v St.Kilda on Thurs, then on Saturday a double-header of North Melbourne v Fremantle and Hawthorn v Melbourne. I have a ticket for F1 qualifying on Sat but I fancy the AFL more.

The Aussie group of cricket fans I've been with for the last few weeks eat and breath AFL, every day the banter was about AFL rather than the cricket. Nice people and great fun.

I popped into Sydney on my way from NZ to Melbourne and managed to see Waratahs v Auckland Blues (rugby union) and also Manly Sea Eagles v Sydney Roosters (rugby league).
There's so much sport going on and generally in big stadiums which makes it easy to see games.
You can cheer on the mighty Freo for me! I'd like to think we should win comfortably, we're a much better team, but Fremantle are excellent in games we should lose and tend to be dreadful in games where we're favourites to win. Hopefully we dont arse this up too much :LOL: there wont be much of a crowd there, so you can get around the ground and view each quarter from a different spot - i like going up on the second level on a wing at Marvel or the MCG

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This week's telly matches

Screenshot_20240320_112853_Chrome.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Massive game for the Pies v St Kilda today. Having suffered two heavy defeats in first two games of the season and generally playing like they've got lead in their boots, there is mounting talk of a premiership hangover. Could today's game be season-defining... :ohmy:

Carna Pies!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
FFS Pies! :facepalm:

Only thing that makes this season barely tolerable thus far is betting on Jamie Elliott multi-goals hurrah :clap:
I've just got back from the game. 69000 in the MCG and at the end of the game we were out and on a train in 15 minutes. An amazing bit of infrastructure.
Lots of happy St.Kilda fans. A very entertaining game.
p.s. And they had The Temper Trap playing before the game. (if you haven't a clue, search for Sweet Disposition on Spotify)

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've just got back from the game. 69000 in the MCG and at the end of the game we were out and on a train in 15 minutes. An amazing bit of infrastructure.
Was lucky enough to take a stroll around the MCG earlier this month. Lovely location. So leafy! Would absolutely love to see a Pies game there sometime. Managed to miss the start of the season by a week GAH! Surprised about the ease of trains thing tho. Jolimont station looked to me to be pretty much the equivalent of Falmer station, with all the logistical limitations that that entails. Do they somehow manage to conjure up huge amounts of train capacity on matchdays?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
p.s. And they had The Temper Trap playing before the game. (if you haven't a clue, search for Sweet Disposition on Spotify)
One of the most underrated songs ever - but also one of my favs (y)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
and also Manly Sea Eagles v Sydney Roosters (rugby league).

Thats a usual blood fest of a derby! I'm a St George fan and never had any choice in the matter, supporting any other rugby league team would get me ex communicated from the family...Although my nephew is now playing AFL in the Swans academy - sheer uproar in my family about the defection to an alternative football shape...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Was lucky enough to take a stroll around the MCG earlier this month. Lovely location. So leafy! Would absolutely love to see a Pies game there sometime. Managed to miss the start of the season by a week GAH! Surprised about the ease of trains thing tho. Jolimont station looked to me to be pretty much the equivalent of Falmer station, with all the logistical limitations that that entails. Do they somehow manage to conjure up huge amounts of train capacity on matchdays?
Its more that there are lots of options. Jolimont station or Richmond are close but it is also a nice stroll FROM Flinders Street. Then you also have Trams good parking at the tennis centre and street parking not too far. As you say it doesn't hurt to walk a fair distance around there because it is so nice.

The worst bit for me is that they don't seem to add more carriages from Geelong on match days so it is usually crowded into Southern Cross.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see my adopted team, St Kilda, beat Collingwood the other day. That's good, isn't it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here