Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Aussie Open (Tennis)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He did well to come back, but he looks done now.

A pity he didn't manage to get one of those multiple Australian Open finals over the line. That said, his opponents were arguably the best tennis players of all time. Murray can be proud of his achievements. Three Grand Slams, an ATP Finals trophy, two Olympic singles golds and a doubles silver medal. A cap doffed.
He had a great career and you are right, he had some amazing players at their peak at the same time.
It´s a bit sad watching him now, maybe he stayed playing too long?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Love the Aussie Open, my favourite major and for me one of the highlights of the entire sporting calendar.

Sadly Raducanu already in deep trouble in her 2nd round match. :nono:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another shocker of a day for the British hopes…

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Raducanu seems to be lacking in mental and physical toughness
I think we can safely surmise “one hit wonder” Shame, I was very enthusiastic about her future during and after her US Open win. How thrilling was that?

I think you are spot on

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yet somehow went through qualifying to win the US Open. Strange. For all her knockers, she beat every player she had to and not her fault or problem that none of them were top seeds. You can only beat who is in front of you. Nor does she hype herself that is just the British press. She's taken some money from promo deals but seriously who wouldn't. Grab it while you can. I think she did amazingly well (you can fluke a shot or a match but you can't fluke your way all the way to a trophy). I watched the game today and and at different times both she and her opponent (who will rise up the rankings) played really well. Raducanu tired, yes probably physically and mentally, but to me she seems to be coming into form and this year I think she'll go deep into one of the tournaments. Hope so just to shut up the trollers.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yet somehow went through qualifying to win the US Open. Strange. For all her knockers, she beat every player she had to and not her fault or problem that none of them were top seeds. You can only beat who is in front of you. Nor does she hype herself that is just the British press. She's taken some money from promo deals but seriously who wouldn't. Grab it while you can. I think she did amazingly well (you can fluke a shot or a match but you can't fluke your way all the way to a trophy). I watched the game today and and at different times both she and her opponent (who will rise up the rankings) played really well. Raducanu tired, yes probably physically and mentally, but to me she seems to be coming into form and this year I think she'll go deep into one of the tournaments. Hope so just to shut up the trollers.
Agreed. A year or so ago, I thought that she was focusing more on sponsorship than playing but she has had a horrible year for injuries.
If she were a footballer, she would be playing 20 or 30 minutes per game to build up match fitness. She cannot do that in tennis especially in the conditions there.
Give her some time and support and I think / hope she wins a tournament this year.
The press have built her up. Not her.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

I think we can safely surmise “one hit wonder” Shame, I was very enthusiastic about her future during and after her US Open win. How thrilling was that?

I think you are spot on
She literally just started playing again after 8 months out with multiple surgeries. I think it's expected that she isn't quite up to speed yet.

There were signs in both rounds that she could get back to her best, I'm optimistic that she'll go further in the slams later in the year.

Oh, and she's still only 21.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
She literally just started playing again after 8 months out with multiple surgeries. I think it's expected that she isn't quite up to speed yet.

There were signs in both rounds that she could get back to her best, I'm optimistic that she'll go further in the slams later in the year.

Might be only 21 but she's got through literally nine or ten coaches in the past few years. Would maybe benefit from a period of stability on that front

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Always happy to be wrong, I was about Andy Murray as he struggled to win his first Grand Slam :smile:

Hope she can stop being a sick note soon too.

I thought it was a gutsy performance from her today. Definitely some positive signs after an awful period with injuries. Standards in women’s tennis are quite flat and I think she can get back in the top 50 this year and have some deep runs in tournaments

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Big plus for me in this tournament is having Nick Kyrgios in the comnentary box. Some very decent insights, not least a glimpse inside his head

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here