Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie cricket...............

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting that, given we've been told for 40 years that Sheffield Shield cricket = limited number of sides = more intense competition = players better prepared for Test cricket. What happened?

They changed it ..

We created a top tiered system, which created more competition?

Hence cretins like Graves want to change it....

Australia have relegated the Sheffield Shield to a subsidiary competition so everything stops for the Big Bash. It's having a seriously detrimental effect on their cricketers. And as Uncle B points out, we're about to do the same thing.

What was that about quote about those not learning from history?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They changed it ..

Australia have relegated the Sheffield Shield to a subsidiary competition so everything stops for the Big Bash. It's having a seriously detrimental effect on their cricketers. And as Uncle B points out, we're about to do the same thing.

What was that about quote about those not learning from history?

and since being restructured, South African provincial cricket, despite not having the wealth or depth of Australian or English country cricket, continues to produce and produce.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
... and against an attack where the main strike bowler went off injured on the second day
And after being just 84 runs behind in the first wicket with all ten wickets in hand
And against an opposition missing its top batsman

They're nearly approaching laughing stock stage

Careful. Bum .... bite

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
With their seam bowlers, they seem to be permanently injured.

Cummins looked the best of the bunch but he is never fit and seems destined to just about last a limited overs game.

Batsmen wise they seem to have nothing coming through.

Those Batsmen probably had something coming through today. Fear factor plus regularly following on. Great entertainment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lets not get too carried away, we lost 2 weeks ago to Bangladesh.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lets not get too carried away, we lost 2 weeks ago to Bangladesh.

Our performance in the 1st test (against the top Indian spinners, including the world's No.1 bowler) was pretty decent, which might suggest that the Bangladeshi spin attack in THAT track would test any test team to the max.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Emailed an Aussie friend this morning to wind her up about the shocking state of Aussie cricket. Got a rather snarky reply along the lines of the "state of the world is too serious to try to lose oneself in sport". I would accept that reply if she hadn't sent me a gloating email just a week ago when the Wallabies whopped the Welsh in Cardiff.

Aussies in a sense of humour by-pass ... who'd have thought it? :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Emailed an Aussie friend this morning to wind her up about the shocking state of Aussie cricket. Got a rather snarky reply along the lines of the "state of the world is too serious to try to lose oneself in sport". I would accept that reply if she hadn't sent me a gloating email just a week ago when the Wallabies whopped the Welsh in Cardiff.

Aussies in a sense of humour by-pass ... who'd have thought it? [emoji38]ol:
Brilliant. That's so Australian.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Lived in Oz in the 90's, it was practically a constant onslaught on jingoism around sporting achievement.

Seeing them lose is better than seeing Palace lose

I was in Oz for the 90/91 Ashes. Christ you're not wrong. They wouldn't let it rest. Any form of cricketing pain felt by them is sweet music to my ears.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was in Oz for the 90/91 Ashes. Christ you're not wrong. They wouldn't let it rest. Any form of cricketing pain felt by them is sweet music to my ears.

I worked with an Aussie in the period when they were dishing up to us on a regular basis. Sweet. Noticed the very small crowd in Hobart. Perhaps there were a lot of other things going on (in Hobart ?).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Australian cricket fans have a tendency to only watch when they are winning. Boxing Day at the MCG excepted.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I worked with an Aussie in the period when they were dishing up to us on a regular basis. Sweet. Noticed the very small crowd in Hobart. Perhaps there were a lot of other things going on (in Hobart ?).

Cricket is a sport that's been on a downward curve for a while now out here.

Local clubs don't field anything like the amount of teams now as they used to in numerical terms.

People have finally discovered what a turgid game it is and are enjoying other sports that offer more.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Am I right in thinking BT Sport have got all Australian home fixtures, so the 2017/18 Ashes down under will be on BT ? Bloomin' hope so as I ditched Sky Sports recently and Virgin gave me BT free :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Am I right in thinking BT Sport have got all Australian home fixtures, so the 2017/18 Ashes down under will be on BT ? Bloomin' hope so as I ditched Sky Sports recently and Virgin gave me BT free :thumbsup:

Correct.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You're right. Vaughan and Swann and short ar*e Ponting(who Talks well)are presenters/commentators. BT are doing the current Aus v South Africa series.

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock

Don't knock the big smoke - I am taking my primary school girls team down to play there on Friday and if we win we get to play at the MCG. The weather forecast for the Saturday was just as bad as the Sunday, bu the rain didn't show up, hence the small crowd on the first day. Then they 'packed' it out with the usual free schoolkids tickets for the other weekdays. Sparse crowd maybe, but it does now hold 20,000 which is more than Trent Bridge for example. Still not the biggest stadium in the state as Aurora stadium up here in Launceston holds 21,000 (pop 86,000)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here