Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attwell

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Was at the match but couldnt quite make out if Konsa should have got 2nd yellow for the altercation with Fati?

So was I, as far as I was concerned as soon as he laid his hands on him it was a yellow, although Fati instigated it Konsa certainly continued it.
Normally both players, the one instigating and the one retaliating, get booked. For some reason not in this case.

Generally ref was useless, coming up with all kinds of weird decisions, or non decisions. Absolutely no consistency.

Also, whatever happened to booking players for throwing/kicking the ball away, or preventing quick free kicks? Seems to have gone out of the window after a couple of games.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Normally both players, the one instigating and the one retaliating, get booked. For some reason not in this case.

Generally ref was useless, coming up with all kinds of weird decisions, or non decisions. Absolutely no consistency.

Also, whatever happened to booking players for throwing/kicking the ball away, or preventing quick free kicks? Seems to have gone out of the window after a couple of games.
Quite, and this pillock booked 3 of ours at Wolves for this.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Irrespective of how well or otherwise we or anyone else play, PGMOL consistently fails to provide officials that match the standard of players on the pitch. It is not fit for purpose.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Seems to only apply to our players at the moment

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One of their players was booked for kicking the ball away towards the end of the game.

Konsa would have got a yellow if he hadn't already had one - but as he didn't get one Fati shouldn't have been booked either, the foul itself was nothing worthy of a booking.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Aston Villa won the game by themselves (or we lost it by playing badly, if you prefer) - but Attwell was making decisions to ensure there was a Plan B should Villa have not taken their chances. Yes, Villa won without the help of VAR - but the help was always there in case they needed it.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Aston Villa won the game by themselves (or we lost it by playing badly, if you prefer) - but Attwell was making decisions to ensure there was a Plan B should Villa have not taken their chances. Yes, Villa won withut the help of VAR - but the help was always there in case they needed it.
Agree with this. We were awful. Perhaps RDZ’s worst game managing us. But if we’d actually played one of our best games instead, I still think we’d have lost as ALL the officiating including Attwell was horrific.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's always us who get the bad and the corrupt officials- said the fans of all 20 Premier League clubs.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Nothing should detract from our poor performance today we need to learn from it. Yes the officiating was awful but I suspect we would have found a way to lose without his help. We have to defend better

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I concur. We were well beaten so no excuses but there were a string of dodgy decisions.

The 2nd and third goal, the lack of second yellow for Konsa, a few little fouls all over the pitch.

We didn't get the rub of the green today. But when you concede six, you've got to look at your performance not the ref's or his team.

Given there were so many goals it stands to reason a few would be questionable! Percentages etc.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
True, Liverpool must have been gutted that Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli were on VAR for their game yesterday
I think Andrea from the laundrette was on VAR yesterday.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Not quite sure why people seem to not want to debate ref decisions because somehow they are an excuse for a result. The OP has clearly suggested that they were not the reason we lost but they were debatable decisions, influential or not. MOTD tells us they were not influential (they didn’t mention them) but they are decisions worthy of questioning by us . Of course we often only debate them when we lose, but they are still decisions that highlight/question standard of referees atm and may have influenced the scale of the defeat on the same way that had Estupinan scored yesterday or Pedro on Wednesday before conceding we might have got different . Happy to agree with OP watching back this morning..

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not a decision for VAR but I still don’t understand how grabbing a player near the neck (possibly around the neck?) is not a yellow card

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not quite sure why people seem to not want to debate ref decisions because somehow they are an excuse for a result. The OP has clearly suggested that they were not the reason we lost but they were debatable decisions, influential or not. MOTD tells us they were not influential (they didn’t mention them) but they are decisions worthy of questioning by us . Of course we often only debate them when we lose, but they are still decisions that highlight/question standard of referees atm and may have influenced the scale of the defeat on the same way that had Estupinan scored yesterday or Pedro on Wednesday before conceding we might have got different . Happy to agree with OP watching back this morning..
Agree.

We would have lost 4-1 rather than 6.

But Madley is useless, we him at Wolves when we won and he was dreadful and yesterday he gave the same level of performance. Inconsistent throughout.

I simply do not understand why 7 games in, we have had the same official twice.
As for Attwell, he should be nowhere near VAR,….. as yesterday once again proved.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree.

We would have lost 4-1 rather than 6.

But Madley is useless, we him at Wolves when we won and he was dreadful and yesterday he gave the same level of performance. Inconsistent throughout.

I simply do not understand why 7 games in, we have had the same official twice.
As for Attwell, he should be nowhere near VAR,….. as yesterday once again proved.
Wasn’t the fourth goal after the foul on March? We were totally on top at 3-1 and in my head a comeback was a possibility. That incompetent decision from the ref and VAR to let the goal stand put an end to that. Or am I getting confused?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Wasn’t the fourth goal after the foul on March? We were totally on top at 3-1 and in my head a comeback was a possibility. That incompetent decision from the ref and VAR to let the goal stand put an end to that. Or am I getting confused?
Seriously Icy, I can’t remember the 4th being a foul (3rd was), we lost it cheaply and Steele got his angles wrong, but I was more hacked off when the rugby tackle on March (3rd) wasn’t penalised despite VAR.

If the argument on the 3rd is second phase, that’s basically bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here