Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attwell

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Yes we lost big but pivotal decisions at pivotal times. How useless is Attwell on VAR? In what universe was the clear foul on March too far back when the move directly resulted in a goal and in what universe is their defender not in Steele's line of sight? Just awful. Following on from a potential offside for Chelsea's goal and a very very clear 2 yellows which should have seen a sending off on Wednesday I think it's fair to say we've had another shocking week at the hands of the officials.

(And no need for the "oh we lost, must be the refs fault" replies.)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I concur. We were well beaten so no excuses but there were a string of dodgy decisions.

The 2nd and third goal, the lack of second yellow for Konsa, a few little fouls all over the pitch.

We didn't get the rub of the green today. But when you concede six, you've got to look at your performance not the ref's or his team.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
No ref is ever to blame when you lose 6-1. We didn’t even lose when the Nazis had bought the ref in Escape to Victory. Nope, we stank today. Embarrassingly so.
Sure we did. But those two pivotal moments changed the game. All games hinge on those moments. We looked great against Newcastle, Wolves and Man U but those games could easily have gone very very differently if those teams took their early chances. If we had kept the score to 1 for a little longer we may have come good today. Or we may not. But that wasn't what I posted - I argued that those two decisions were awful, nothing more.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The 'interfering with play' is subjective.

And so is 'has play continued long enough for the defence to reset' really.
I thought the forward moved in front of Steele, which must have been a distraction. I would prefer that was always offside (the old rule) so this seems an example of where rule changes have hung officials out to dry. For the other one surely there are guidelines on what constitutes a phase of play ? Having said that I am fine with going with the on field decision if it isn’t clear cut, like in cricket.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes we lost big but pivotal decisions at pivotal times. How useless is Attwell on VAR? In what universe was the clear foul on March too far back when the move directly resulted in a goal and in what universe is their defender not in Steele's line of sight? Just awful. Following on from a potential offside for Chelsea's goal and a very very clear 2 yellows which should have seen a sending off on Wednesday I think it's fair to say we've had another shocking week at the hands of the officials.

(And no need for the "oh we lost, must be the refs fault" replies.)
I really don't think we can blame today's thrashing on anyyone but ourselves.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No ref is ever to blame when you lose 6-1. We didn’t even lose when the Nazis had bought the ref in Escape to Victory. Nope, we stank today. Embarrassingly so.
Take your point, but Madley and Attwell are appalling.

Booked Mitoma for persistent foul play, then you’ve got McGinn who should have had a second yellow before half-time.

He was crap at Wolves when we won, and was crap again.

Home team ref, playing at the wrong level.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
As a former goalkeeper I cannot believe that goal wasn’t ruled out, a player standing in your line of sight absolutely does affect a goalkeepers initial reaction and split step movements.

It’s comical and brainless refereeing from people who have never played the game.

Bones79

Oct 19, 2022
Was at the match but couldnt quite make out if Konsa should have got 2nd yellow for the altercation with Fati?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was at the match but couldnt quite make out if Konsa should have got 2nd yellow for the altercation with Fati?
So was I, as far as I was concerned as soon as he laid his hands on him it was a yellow, although Fati instigated it Konsa certainly continued it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here