[Albion] Attending games on your own

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got my season ticket with a couple of mates when the Amex first opened, for various reasons, both gave up their seats after a couple of seasons, quite relieved as one of them was so negative he was beginning to wear me down. Arrive on my own now but pleased to meet up with those seated around me.
We had a group of 3 behind us for 8 years that were always moaning……….gave up last season. Thank ****. :laugh:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I spent 7 years going with my eldest daughter and got to know those around me (8 others have also been there since the NW corner opened up) but she had to give up her ST this season as she had a youngster last year and it became too hard for her to go. I have carried on going as I got to know the others and doesnt take away from my game enjoyment (in PB speak 'match day experience') at all. 2 of the other 8 go on their own.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Liking Genesis for me does not help. I watch Steve Hacket, Musical Box tribute, also Genesis original when they toured. Anyone who is not it to long instrumental passages and does not get it would just be bored. I personally don't know any other Genesis fans or know one willing to admit to it.
Saw them in 73, Brighton Dome, 70p to get in. Vodka and lime, 20p or thereabouts. My first gig. I was 14. Long hair and army greatcoat covering my embarrassment. Saw them again six months later. A flower? ???

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Perhaps there should be a BHA 'singles club' or something? :)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Perhaps there should be a BHA 'singles club' or something? :)
When I went to Old Trafford last season, I saved the shopkeeper in an off-licence from some Leeds fans (they had Dark Star in the fridge, so it was worth it), chatted to a couple of Man U fans from Brighton who had tickets in the away end, a Dad who'd basically abandoned his kids in their seats to get some time away from them, before finally finding a decent chat with one of the stewards who was actually a Man U fan from Manchester.
Then I missed the last train home.
What an evening that was. I think we lost.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When I went to games (several years ago now), it was always on my own because the existential angst of watching an entire Brighton team completely fail to be able to pass a football to someone wearing the same colour shirt was almost too much to bear.

We were awful.

Different times (fortunately).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve gone to many a game on my own in the past. Not so much now.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I go home and away on my own but generally chat with people who in the main are open to conversation about football. On the odd occasion my daughter has been with me. Not an issue for me but also understand those who might feel isolated.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Almost always on my own as living 280 miles from the Amex there ain't many Albion fans to go with. I go to as many away games within two hours from home as I can and get to the Amex a couple of times a year.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Prefer to go with mates but depending on the situation I will go to games on my own.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Liking Genesis for me does not help. I watch Steve Hacket, Musical Box tribute, also Genesis original when they toured. Anyone who is not it to long instrumental passages and does not get it would just be bored. I personally don't know any other Genesis fans or know one willing to admit to it.
As I mentioned on a previous post on this thread, Steve Hackett is a rare gig that me and Mrs HS both go to. She loved early Genesis but lost interest completely post Peter Gabriel.

We've done the recent SEBTP (Brighton and Hammersmith), Seconds Out (Brighton and Southampton) and Foxtrot at Fifty tours. Waiting to hear what he's bringing to UK audiences next.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Been to loads of games on my own. Usually I go with friends and family but have gone to many away games on my own when they couldn’t get tickets or didn’t want to go.

I love my own company. Always get chatting to people but it’s great being able to please yourself.

It’s nice to get away on your own sometimes, my family life is challenging - see autism thread, so some peace is very much appreciated.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This is probably a male/female thing. I could go to a pub where I know that people know me. But medical reasons aside there is no way I'd have the bottle to go to the Amex on my own! I'm not worried that anything bad would happen but it would be really odd.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Twenty-ish years now. It’s utterly soul-destroying but I’ve sort of properly convinced myself it’s fine over the years, so I guess that counts. Gets quite good for about half an hour when I have a drink and put my earphones in. Suppose it’s nice to be reminded there’s a world out there beyond work.

Do have a couple of people I go with or meet up with if they contact me but we have nothing in common so that’s a bit of a grim alternative

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just wondering how many fans there are who regularly go to games on their own/have always gone on their own or have met up with other solo attendees who sit around them?
I saw on the FA cup threads that people are missing out on going because their partner/family member wouldn’t be eligible for a ticket. Fair enough, but got me thinking. As someone who is happy to go to games (home or away) on my own or with other people, I just wondered how many people do routinely go on their own?
I did used to go to some on my own, as I used to do every single game, but could occasionally have no other mates come to the game as well, especially when I was at university in Huddersfield. Luckily I have the natural ability to start a conversation with a brick wall, so I usually find either a) someone I know or b) make a new friend. This method means I very rarely don’t have someone I know also at the game, and have a group of about 10 or so people I go with.

If ever a mate with less loyalty points had to get a ticket late, and ends up in a single seat I usually volunteer to take the single ticket, and stand on my own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports