Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attending games on your own

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Just wondering how many fans there are who regularly go to games on their own/have always gone on their own or have met up with other solo attendees who sit around them?
I saw on the FA cup threads that people are missing out on going because their partner/family member wouldn’t be eligible for a ticket. Fair enough, but got me thinking. As someone who is happy to go to games (home or away) on my own or with other people, I just wondered how many people do routinely go on their own?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I always go with my son ( who is an adult) and meet up with friends who sit with us. There is a guy next to us who comes alone and we have got to know him well. Sometimes it’s good to do things on your own. I will happily go and watch a band play that no one I know is interested in seeing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I go to games on my own, but meet up with two brothers that l regularly sat with in our Witdean days, transferred our season tickets to the Amex, and continued where we left off. We normally start off by meeting in a pub in town for a lunchtime drink, before catching the bus to the stadium.

A funny thing, although l've known them both for getting on for 20 years, we have never met up on non football days, and it's really only our shared love of the Albion that has brought us together.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
usually went with mates to the goldstone, then usually by myself towards the end.mostly by myself to withdean, then started taking junior. Then 15 years or so with jn, but back to my own as he is at uni and I can’t justify keeping the season ticket. Always meet up with a mate at ht though.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
None of my friends in Hertfordshire are Albion fans and I lost touch with people in Sussex many years ago so I always go alone. The only exception was when we played at Brisbane Rd regularly a few years back when I always went with an Orient fan from work and sat with the home fans. It’s never worried me and I usually chat to people around me.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I go to games and concerts on my own all the time. It does not bother me. I am happy with my own company and can normally start a conversation with someone if I need to. I would rather go to things I am interested in on my own then go with some one who has no interest, and you can see how bored thet are.
Can relate to that particularly in respect of gigs. Having said that my wife now has come to quite a few Maiden gigs but Metallica is just a little too heavy for her.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just wondering how many fans there are who regularly go to games on their own/have always gone on their own or have met up with other solo attendees who sit around them?
I saw on the FA cup threads that people are missing out on going because their partner/family member wouldn’t be eligible for a ticket. Fair enough, but got me thinking. As someone who is happy to go to games (home or away) on my own or with other people, I just wondered how many people do routinely go on their own?
I mostly went on my own (home only) till a few years ago. I prefer the excellent company I now enjoy.

Edit: gigs mostly on my own. Mostly because of my musical taste :lolol:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
On my own for 40 years (cos I've lived 120 miles from Brighton since I was 12), but know so many people through the Albion.
Some really good friends on matchdays at the Amex and at away games too.

Always chat with people who are "ex pats" too and who have travelled to games on their own.
There must be hundreds about.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s just down to circumstances. Went with family when I was a kid and then used to go to the Goldstone on my own when I was at uni in London. I took a Sheff Utd supporting mate to a game against them. Also a couple of Arsenal fans to the game against Swindon in the week after Hillsborough during that time. That wasn’t the best atmosphere. I met my wife in 1989 and we went to the 5-4 defeat at Bramall Lane which converted her to the Albion and we have been going together ever since.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I go to games on my own, but meet up with two brothers that l regularly sat with in our Witdean days, transferred our season tickets to the Amex, and continued where we left off. We normally start off by meeting in a pub in town for a lunchtime drink, before catching the bus to the stadium.

A funny thing, although l've known them both for getting on for 20 years, we have never met up on non football days, and it's really only our shared love of the Albion that has brought us together.
1680779186994.png

or

1680779097643.png

?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I go to games and concerts on my own all the time. It does not bother me. I am happy with my own company and can normally start a conversation with someone if I need to. I would rather go to things I am interested in on my own then go with some one who has no interest, and you can see how bored thet are.
Yup, this. Although I have a broad band of chums and folks I'm on nodding terms with at football, it doesn't overly bother me if they're not there, other than I'm a bit sad for them that they're not there. Pandemic only accentuated that massively. As for gigs, always preferred to fully immerse meself in the thing, rather than end up bogged down in tiresome nuts n bolts like spending half the night trying to drag my stoner mates out of their flat, then spending the other half of the night queueing for rounds, trying to do shouty smalltalk etc etc. Bah humbug! It is what it is, as a half-bright brummie once said

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
On my own, I meet up with my brother and his other half for a beer or two but we are at opposite ends of the west upper.
I get on really well with the old boy in front of me and have started chatting to the lad next to me too as I've seen him at aways games, but I didn't know anyone near me before I sat there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, quite often. Son has a ST but awaydays and Sunday matches are out due to work for him currently, and I have another group I sometimes travel with but I do more awaydays than them so often travel alone (Bournemouth this week for example). Don’t mind it at all - did years and years of solo travel with my job so completely used to it, and always bump into people at matches anyway. Away atmosphere is such that it doesn’t matter……randomly hugging strangers when Julio walks one in to secure the points is fine :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here