Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attending games on your own

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Can relate to that particularly in respect of gigs. Having said that my wife now has come to quite a few Maiden gigs but Metallica is just a little too heavy for her.
Problem for me is most gigs I go to are even heavier than Metallica so most people really won't like it.

Gojira the last gig and Lorna Shore the next and I don't know anyone who likes them lmao.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I go to loads of gigs on my own…mainly as no one else likes the bands. Doesn’t bother me and I am happy with my own company.
Liking Genesis for me does not help. I watch Steve Hacket, Musical Box tribute, also Genesis original when they toured. Anyone who is not it to long instrumental passages and does not get it would just be bored. I personally don't know any other Genesis fans or know one willing to admit to it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I go on my own when I can't bag a lift then sit on my own at the ground

Jul 7, 2003
Can relate to that particularly in respect of gigs. Having said that my wife now has come to quite a few Maiden gigs but Metallica is just a little too heavy for her.
Mrs DCH came along to Volbeat with me before Christmas. Fair to say she wan't impressed with Napalm Death as one of the support acts.

The last gig she went to with me was Little Angels at the Albert Hall in 1994 and I think it might be another 19 years before she joins me again :)

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I go to games and concerts on my own all the time. It does not bother me. I am happy with my own company and can normally start a conversation with someone if I need to. I would rather go to things I am interested in on my own then go with some one who has no interest, and you can see how bored thet are.
Same here (y) There are a few gigs I go to with Mrs HS ... Steve Hackett for example these days ... but for years I have attended most gigs solo. I offer her the opportunity of going but she just says I won't enjoy myself because I'd know she's not enjoying it!! True that :ROFLMAO:

She is annoyed she won't be able to join me when I see Keifer Sutherland though - as she's away on holiday with a friend :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
On my own home and away.
Got to know a few on the home coach and those around me in the Amex. Socially it's only at the games that we meet. Away is the same. Know many by face and soon get talking to whoever sits next to me.
Happily wife hates football so saves me a fortune.
And same again ...

I've got to know two chaps really well I sat next to on long coach journeys to away games a few years back. They are now very good friends and we meet up socially on other occasions now ... not just football.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Been to the Albion about 250-300 times, and only been on my own once. Hated it. Absolutely hated it.
Not so bad at the game, but all the things before and after. I wont do it again, it just wasn't the same.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did for a while Sept 11 onwards, as my young lad lost interest the moment we started losing games at the new Amex. He couldn’t fathom it, he’s seen almost endless home wins under Slade and Poyet.

I persevered on my own on and off for 2 or 3 years, watching often tedious passing round the back from Poyet/Garcia, lots of draws and losses, shit CMS.

I got on really well with the folk next to me, front row WSU.

But HT and the 2 hours travelling in total were fkn boring, I’m a social creature.

Thankfully he got his mojo back in the early CH era. I had my pal back :)

Last edited:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I always go to the home games with my son as we’re both season ticket holders however away games I mostly go on my own due to loyalty points and money. He’s 15 so I’ll still be buying his ticket, travel, food and drinks as I do at home games.
I always see people I know when I go to away games which is nice and I’m quite happy to chat with whoever is around me so no worries here.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Been to the Albion about 250-300 times, and only been on my own once. Hated it. Absolutely hated it.
Not so bad at the game, but all the things before and after. I wont do it again, it just wasn't the same.
Jeez I'm glad I'm not the only one. My post was standing alone a bit earlier, I was beginning to feel a bit of an oddball, but we seem to be very much in the minority.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I used to go to Withdean on my own, that's how my dad got into watching the Albion, started coming with me to check I wasn't getting into trouble!

Now usually do away games with husband and/or stepson no. 2, and sometimes meet with friends on the train or at a pub/the ground.

But if there was an away game I really wanted to do and they didn't, I'd be happy enough going on my own. It's happened once or twice over the years although not recently.

Usually see at least someone I know on the concourse anyway, and I don't care if I'm surrounded by strangers in the ground. I can't stand all game now so I go near the front, but I'm there for the football and I'll still sing out and shout at the ref and chat game with whoever cares to listen. Can't help it.

In fact even with my husband there I'm more likely to talk to the stranger on the other side - he can be a miserable git at football sometimes 😂

Don't really care if anyone around me thinks I'm too noisy, I sing on my own in the ESL every other week 😜

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes we're all Albion fans, but I don't feel I can tap the person sitting next to me on the shoulder and say something like "I think Webster should have passed then!"
You'd definitely hate it if you found yourself next to me at a game then.
I deem it vitally important that the random stranger next to me is aware of all of my highly insightful opinions on the game.
The amount of beer drunk tends to increase how forward I am, and also the insightfulness of my opinions.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
You'd definitely hate it if you found yourself next to me at a game then.
I deem it vitally important that the random stranger next to me is aware of all of my highly insightful opinions on the game.
The amount of beer drunk tends to increase how forward I am, and also the insightfulness of my opinions.
Are you me?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I go to games on my own, but meet up with two brothers that l regularly sat with in our Witdean days, transferred our season tickets to the Amex, and continued where we left off. We normally start off by meeting in a pub in town for a lunchtime drink, before catching the bus to the stadium.

A funny thing, although l've known them both for getting on for 20 years, we have never met up on non football days, and it's really only our shared love of the Albion that has brought us together.
I don't think that counts as going on your own... it's not just the travelling on your own he's talking about.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Used to go with people I knew in the 90s and tend to go with my wife (also an Albion fan) now. But when our children were little I often went to games on my own from 2001 to the mid 2010s, usually away games as we lived in the Midlands.

It can be quite nice to go on your own, but I can't say I prefer it to chatting with other people. Being in the crowd is fine and in away games that is half the fun, but I never liked the hour before kick off very much, sitting around reading a programme or whatever. That was the part I liked least, so tried to turn up to the ground not long before kick-off. (Sometimes that went wrong; at Wycombe once I was late for an evening game and so parked my car in some ditch; then realised afterwards I had no idea where it was and wandered around for ages trying to find it in the dark after the match, feeling particularly stupid.)

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Got my season ticket with a couple of mates when the Amex first opened, for various reasons, both gave up their seats after a couple of seasons, quite relieved as one of them was so negative he was beginning to wear me down. Arrive on my own now but pleased to meet up with those seated around me.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Stoke away was my 4th game on my own out of 258 Albion matches.
Much prefer going with mates but we’re all in our mid 30’s and have young families etc. it’s so enjoyable watching this side right now I’m finding myself being more tempted by away games that aren’t too far from me (West Country)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here