Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The announcer announced the 'attendance' as far as I remember and not the amount of tickets sold so therefore he gave an incorrect figure.
He should instead announce the amount of tickets sold just to be correct.Hypotheically speaking he could give an attendance of 30.000 when only
22.000 for example turn up even if that is unlikely to happen.

Just my opinion.

But you know from numerous threads and comments from PB that it is standard now for all clubs to announce a figure based on tickets sold. Fail to understand why so many people get so hung up on the fact that they announce it as attendance rather than saying tickets sold. So what. Personally, I'm more annoyed that we threw away two points yesterday and with it, the possibility of topping the table on Tuesday.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Attendances would be higher if it wasn't a pain getting to and especially from the Amex although you would think it
will be sold out most weeks if Brighton reached the Prem.

A stadium of that quality with a potential 'attendance'of 32.000(can they increase that?) should be in the Prem as we all know.
Is it really a pain getting to the Amex? Compared to The Withdean, yes but that is purely down to the numbers involved. Getting to the Goldstone used to be a pain. We had to queue at the lights at Pycombe, then again at the crossroads at Patcham, exacerbated by the fact that the bridge in Mill Road wasn't wide enough. We then ended up parking in Goldstone Crescent before you even got as far as Hove Park. Problem was the same on the way back with the traffic lights etc.

It obviously got easier as the capacity of the ground got reduced and we slid down the leagues.

I'd love to see a comparison with other clubs as to how quickly their fans get away from the immediate area of their stadium!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Attendances would be higher if it wasn't a pain getting to and especially from the Amex although you would think it

A stadium of that quality with a potential 'attendance'of 32.000(can they increase that?) should be in the Prem as we all know.

It's not a pain most of the time. It really isn't.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Indeed. It's petty beyond belief that the powers that be insist on final league position as the criteria for promotion.

How I'd love that be true. If it were you lot wouldn't have been promoted at the end of your shit or bust season and would most likely now be loitering at the arse end of league one.....or worse.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The announcer announced the 'attendance' as far as I remember and not the amount of tickets sold so therefore he gave an incorrect figure.
He should instead announce the amount of tickets sold just to be correct.Hypotheically speaking he could give an attendance of 30.000 when only

Just my opinion.

Do you not have anything better to worry about? There are surely more interesting things in your life than the exact number of people who attended a football match?

Personally, I go to a football match to watch the football, strange as that may seem to some!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Really.

Drove to Shoreham, got the train to Brighton. Queued for about 10 minutes for a train to Falmer. 5 minutes walk to the ground.

After the game, had a drink in West Lower, walked 5 mins to Falmer station. Waited for about 5 minutes for a train, which took 5 minutes to get to Brighton. Another 5 minute wait for the train to Shoreham.

Job done.

The transport around Falmer works pretty well IMO

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Just my opinion.

If it means that much to you, why don't you submit a Freedom of Information request to get the 'attendance'?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd love to see a comparison with other clubs as to how quickly their fans get away from the immediate area of their stadium!!!
I haven't been to another stadium in the football league - particularly with a 29k gate - where it is easier to get away afterwards on public transport. I leave on the final whistle and am usually on a train to either Brighton or Lewes within 10-15 minutes of leaving my seat.

The park and ride also works well. Even waiting for the second tranche of busses sees me on the A23 within about 45 mins. If you park within a couple of miles of any other ground, you end up stuck in walking pace traffic for over 45 mins if there's anything resembling a crowd that day.

The whole business about the Amex being difficult to get to is a myth.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

It's amazing that people still spout this old myth about transport to and from the Amex being poor.

There was a single match which was a cup game (Liverpool?) where they announced that there were was reduced train service away from the ground which in reality still wasn't bad to get everyone away from the ground (I clapped the team of from the south end of the WSU, walked to the train station and still caught a train back to Lewes within 30 minutes) - this is where the mass exodus 5 to 10 minutes before the end of a match started, and never returned to the way it was before that cup game where the vast majority of fans waited until the very end of the game before they left.

However this one game has pretty much become the basis of the myth of poor transport as well as the rise of an unrealistic expectation that with following the final whistle, fans should be able to walk out of the stadium and onto the first bus / train and not having to wait despite there being such a large crowd.

Go to any other ground in this or any other country and you will experience delays getting away which are usually far worse than at the Amex.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Personally I think it makes no sense whatsoever to give an attendance based on what it would be if every STH turned up plus the other tickets.If there is a way of counting those who actually turn up and I'm sure there is then this is the only relevant figure.

There are 2 att figures for every game. The police will get the other one, the public only tickets sold. Blame Arsenal, Palace etc who were the first clubs to start doing this... Don't blame us for following.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
How I'd love that be true. If it were you lot wouldn't have been promoted at the end of your shit or bust season and would most likely now be loitering at the arse end of league one.....or worse.

The last time I looked play-off qualification was on the basis of final league position. Just as well it wasn't bums on seats after 85 minutes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's amazing that people still spout this old myth about transport to and from the Amex being poor.

There was a single match which was a cup game (Liverpool?) where they announced that there were was reduced train service away from the ground which in reality still wasn't bad to get everyone away from the ground (I clapped the team of from the south end of the WSU, walked to the train station and still caught a train back to Lewes within 30 minutes) - this is where the mass exodus 5 to 10 minutes before the end of a match started, and never returned to the way it was before that cup game where the vast majority of fans waited until the very end of the game before they left.

However this one game has pretty much become the basis of the myth of poor transport as well as the rise of an unrealistic expectation that with following the final whistle, fans should be able to walk out of the stadium and onto the first bus / train and not having to wait despite there being such a large crowd.

Go to any other ground in this or any other country and you will experience delays getting away which are usually far worse than at the Amex.

Spot on. Can't remember the last time I went to a game and wasn't at home (Burgess Hill) within the hour whether by train, train/car or P&R (always leaving after the final whistle). My limited experience away has without exception been worse - particular examples including Brentford, station close but waited ages for a train, Fulham, long walk and train rammed so had to wait for the next one, Derby, Forest and BMuff took forever to exit the car park, Reading and Charlton roads were gridlocked etc etc etc. We're very lucky to have such a well designed, integrated transport setup.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Individuals do give tickets away the club fround on private ticket exchanges but the clubs was never switched on. I given my ticket away on several occasions due to long term illness.

The club used to offer an option to sell your ticket for the game online but don't any more. I couldn't make it as away on holiday and offered it to a couple of friends but they couldn't make it either, so there was an empty seat there.

Perhaps the club could resurrect this option? I'd have been happy to do this and let them charge a reasonable admin fee for the effort....... The more support the better in my view.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is it really a pain getting to the Amex? Compared to The Withdean, yes but that is purely down to the numbers involved. Getting to the Goldstone used to be a pain. We had to queue at the lights at Pycombe, then again at the crossroads at Patcham, exacerbated by the fact that the bridge in Mill Road wasn't wide enough. We then ended up parking in Goldstone Crescent before you even got as far as Hove Park. Problem was the same on the way back with the traffic lights etc.

It obviously got easier as the capacity of the ground got reduced and we slid down the leagues.

The biggest issue is that modern humans seem to have little patience and always want to get somewhere else faster than necessary. Generally, it's so that they can sit on a sofa when they get there and basically do nothing. I just don't get it. People need to chill about how long travelling takes and they might find that they're generally much happier.

I confess that it took living in Cornwall for 2 years to make me see this, though I had still never left a game early just to get somewhere else before that.

If you want to see a nightmare getting away from a ground, go to Wembley when it's sold out. I don't leave there early, either!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We had two no shows today one ill and the other one working it happens when you have thousands of season tickets.
As has been pointed out no-shows are still included in the 'attendance' figure as it is the number of tickets sold not bodies through the turnstiles.. Yes it's wrong and yes it occasionally looks stupid or like a fix (not yesterday though), but every club does it apparently so the only harm done is to the English language.

It does also mean of course that as your ST also cover you for reserve games every reserve game has an official attendance of around 23,000.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
But you know from numerous threads and comments from PB that it is standard now for all clubs to announce a figure based on tickets sold. Fail to understand why so many people get so hung up on the fact that they announce it as attendance rather than saying tickets sold. So what. Personally, I'm more annoyed that we threw away two points yesterday and with it, the possibility of topping the table on Tuesday.

I'm not hung up about it.I made a comment.Simples.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015

I don't know about other grounds.No doubt there are some worse and some better. How easy a ground is to get to and get away from does make a difference.I remember the Goldstone as being pretty easy.Park and walk a few minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here