Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere yesterday at Boro.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So, we just need to sort out:

1. When are we getting our drum?
2. Will The Bollox Crew take charge of it or will it be located in the centre of the North?
3. Is it possible to drum along to Police Box Dan's Musical Youth inspired "Pass the Bong to the left hand side, oh Gaetan Bong" chant?
4. Will HB&B demand to take his oboe into the 1901 as a result?

Reading around before the game, I think they've made a bit of an ultras thing in that far block behind the goal and that's the core of their support. Yesterday they had what is, for them, the unusual help of a full stadium and, particularly behind that goal, they gave it a good go.

Palace obviously do the same with their 20-30 hoodie-wearers in the lower corner of the Holmesdale and a group of Birmingham fans have recently started the same: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo.../birmingham-city-fans-earmarked-part-11223529

It's hard to see how the Amex could have something similar unless the club were prepared to essentially force people to move seats and leave a block(s) dedicated to the NSK or a similar group who wanted to do the same kind of thing.

Before the amex opened i did bring this up with TB at a meeting and suggested an u21 section in one of the north corners when they were filled in,this would have created a youthful area to encourage vocal support,the suggestion fell flat which was a little short sighted imho.:moo:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
You have to hand it to Boro, The Riverside was rocking yesterday. They really made some noise, real 12 th man stuff. It was nocticeable that the vast majority of their fans were in position and singing from 20-30 minutes before kick-off. Fair play to them. Could we generate an atmosphere like that at the Amex? The pre-match v Derby was pretty good but now we need to step it up for the play-offs. Flags, not clackers, help build a sense of occasion so I hope the club mass produce the flags again, like the Donnie match. Then it's up to us to roar the team on.

Best atmosphere I've experienced in supporting the Albion 35yrs

Andy1611

Aug 6, 2009
As a drummer, I really think it would help the atmosphere at the AMEX. How often is GOSBTS kinda ruined because we speed up so much? Along with some of our other chants.
The most atmospheric grounds are arguably those in Germany, and what do they all have? DRUMS.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Noise levels where very high yesterday although I couldn't understand a word.

Big problem in the North stand is that 2 thirds of the stand do not join in and are only there for financial reasons. That and the 3 different songs being sung at the same time.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As a drummer, I really think it would help the atmosphere at the AMEX. How often is GOSBTS kinda ruined because we speed up so much? Along with some of our other chants.
The most atmospheric grounds are arguably those in Germany, and what do they all have? DRUMS.

Having attended two bundesliga games recently I would say the drum is fine generating an atmosphere in the end with the ultras it is based in but the rest of the stadium sits on their hands and is very quiet.

Apr 5, 2016
You have to hand it to Boro, The Riverside was rocking yesterday. They really made some noise, real 12 th man stuff. It was nocticeable that the vast majority of their fans were in position and singing from 20-30 minutes before kick-off. Fair play to them. Could we generate an atmosphere like that at the Amex? The pre-match v Derby was pretty good but now we need to step it up for the play-offs. Flags, not clackers, help build a sense of occasion so I hope the club mass produce the flags again, like the Donnie match. Then it's up to us to roar the team on.

That whole clap along thing you do at your place is poor, as is our goal music.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
How about instead on a drum ...a steel drum band make it tropical?

2034.jpg

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Said it before and said it again, I am not a massive drum fan but it DOES help in terms of speed, coordination and longevity of chants. Brighton fans do just not want to admit it but all the noisest fans in the world use one. Time to stop being so pathetic about it being cringey and embarrassing?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was it a real drummer or coming over the PA system? I couldn't make out.

As for the homophobic plums. Two of 'Boro's finest who must have been in their mid-50's were singing it to me and the wife as we walked to the ground......, holding hands.

I'd love to claim they were doing it in an ironic way but I suspect irony is what they do to their shirts to remove creases.

The atmosphere was impressive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What I don't understand is why we have half the South Stand empty at most home games, with the away supporters behind the goal and the only Albion fans in the South West Corner. Of course nostalgia about the North Stand from the Goldstone meant that was naturally going to be the singing stand, but I'm not sure it's helped us. One solution would be to put the away fans back in the South East Corner and one block of the East Stand with no more than one or two South Stand blocks at most, and then sell the rest to home fans on a match-by-match basis. However, if one suggests such things to the club, one is met by some spin about the concourses being difficult to alter. They managed it in 2012-2013, when we probably had the best Amex atmosphere, so why did they change it back to the first season set up? The other alternative would have been to have the families in the North Stand, with the away fans as I suggest, and the South Stand would then have become the singing stand.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As mentioned before, I think you could have a drummer up on the shelf so it is not really in the faces of people, why not just give it a try for one game? If people hate it then get rid.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Said it before and said it again, I am not a massive drum fan but it DOES help in terms of speed, coordination and longevity of chants. Brighton fans do just not want to admit it but all the noisest fans in the world use one. Time to stop being so pathetic about it being cringey and embarrassing?

Can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm starting to waver as well. The problem is it would need to be the right person drumming, not some knob from the nsk who wants to peddle their own Euro rubbish, or someone on the other side who just wants to drown them out. And it would need to be someone who can actually drum. It has to be worth a 6 game trial or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here