Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere yesterday at Boro.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
That is one of the noisiest stadiums I've been to. Can't fault them for their singing, that was proper 12th man stuff....we were loud but it was difficult to get it going with the amount of noise they were making...all said and done, enjoyed my away day and still glad I went....lets get it done against Wednesday...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yes there were a couple of the predictable and pathetic rent boy chants of but overall Bozza they made a hell of a racket. And if a drummer means thousands sing in unison thereby creating a louder noise, then so be it. Let's get one in.
Any drummers in Brighton want a new role?

The Whitehawk drummers are pretty good!!!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Big problem at the Amex is that they spaced the seats out too much and it never looks as full as other grounds. It doesn't help having the away support behind the goal either - creates a good atmosphere for the visiting team when full and no atmosphere for us when half empty.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Always been hugely against a drum.

Yesterday- for the first time- I'm wavering.

That said, it's one thing saying it contributes to the atmosphere in a stadium which is full to bursting, in a vital game. Not so sure it feels as convincing when a ground is half empty in a meaningless February midweek game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Madejski Stadium is one of those where a drummer just looks Mickey Mouse.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Their songs were repetitive and tiresome after a while, which is what you get with a drum I suppose. The noise levels very high though, but you'd expect that under circumstances.

Issues with the Amex are logistical. There are pockets of loud support around the ground, the lot around me i'm always seeing at away games singing away, but rarely do so at home. Other grounds have a particular area or stand designated for this, like their south stand yesterday which generated the large part of their noise. And they were ALL standing and singing. We have the north but it's fairly small and there's a bunch in the middle who sit down and don't utter a word all game, who perhaps would rather be sitting somewhere else but can't afford to. There's also the issue of luxury, it's such a fantastic and comfortable stadium to watch football in, do I want to give up my amazing seats in the west just to contribute to atmosphere in the north? I probably should, but I spend enough time behind the goals and in corners on my travels.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes it was very loud, but I really felt we gave as good as we got for the majority of the time. At times I couldn't hear them, yet I could see all the flags going....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Palace obviously do the same with their 20-30 hoodie-wearers in the lower corner of the Holmesdale and a group of Birmingham fans have recently started the same: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo.../birmingham-city-fans-earmarked-part-11223529

A fair few clubs have this sort of thing now. Boro's lot were there at last season's game, but people didn't notice because it was all a bit of a nothing game. You've mentioned the Birmingham guys, as well as the Always Ultras. Bristol City have a bunch over to the left of the stand behind the goal where the away fans are currently. Huddersfield also had some youngish lads with flags & drums, you have the famous (!) Stanley Ultras at Accrington and more.

As you say, it really requires a block or two of U allocated seating, which you can't really organise once your season ticket renewals have gone out, for risk of upsetting those who don't want to move from their favourite seats.

quizzicaleyebrow

Mar 10, 2011
The Red Faction - the group with the drum - is a bit of a legacy of the 13,000 crowds in the Strachan era. They started before that, but low crowds meant they had the space to pretty much pick an area of the ground where they could buy walk-up tickets together and create their pocket of noise.

They were initially in the corner you were in yesterday, before the screen was put in. The club actively worked against them to start with, including writing to them to tell them to shut up, but changed tack after a couple of years. They've grown in size steadily and swapped places with the away end two or three years ago.

omg11

Banned
May 7, 2016
You are talking about the Red Faction . Probably the greatest set of fans in the country .

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thought the drum regulated the beat of their singing and clapping,.

We'd probably get Cozy Powell

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You are talking about the Red Faction . Probably the greatest set of fans in the country .

Then again, probably not.

I thought you were heading off.. or do you have more bets to tell us about?

Perhaps you're just doing some more gauging of the mood.. let's see if I can break it down for you.

You are a ****, and probably one of the few behind the police line yesterday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Big problem at the Amex is that they spaced the seats out too much and it never looks as full as other grounds. It doesn't help having the away support behind the goal either - creates a good atmosphere for the visiting team when full and no atmosphere for us when half empty.

The roof at the Riverside is lower than ours so held the noise in. The acoustics at the Amex are poor.

omg11

Banned
May 7, 2016
Hi I quite fancy Now Or Never 3.00 Leopardstown @7/4 .. Quite Apt don't you think , As George Galloway likes to say ..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Terrific atmosphere I thought, and I hate to say it but the drum helped massively because it kept them all in time together. They also didn't seem to have different groups with different egos who all want to do their own thing, which helps. Or any bellend self-styled singing leaders who shout and abuse the other fans when they don't sing what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Nah, I was talking about the Boro fans behind the goal. You know, the chaps with the drums & flags.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Always been hugely against a drum.

Yesterday- for the first time- I'm wavering.

That said, it's one thing saying it contributes to the atmosphere in a stadium which is full to bursting, in a vital game. Not so sure it feels as convincing when a ground is half empty in a meaningless February midweek game.

The big difference for me yesterday was that he was a very good drummer. There must surely be some talented drummers/percussionists amongst the Brighton fans. Wasn't Stomp originally a Brighton act?

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Hurts to say it but that was the best support of a football team I`ve ever seen yesterday by a home side, it was awesome, the only time we have ever got close to that was the first game against Donny, we couldn't get our singing really going that first half I felt, cos we couldn't hear ourselves, they were so co-ordinated and relentless, the most telling part being that with 20 mins to go until the final whistle they still kept it up massively, if that had been us hanging on, we would have been nervously quiet and spasmodic, shitting ourselves in case there was another goal, I know some Middlesbro have come on here and said they were shitting it but you would never have known that being there, they were incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here