Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere vs forest

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It is always far easier to put the boot into those who do try to engender a real atmosphere and sing throughout for the most part, then come up with a different way yourself. If you want ALBION...ALBION shouted for 90 minutes, do it! Nobody is stopping you.
He’s right though, it’s pretty pointless if twenty fans sing a song that thousands of others don’t know.
Maybe their songs are more popular at away games.
Earlier on this thread it was mentioned that SEAGULLS, SEAGULLS isn’t chanted anymore when we get a corner, at The Goldstone it seemed like every home supporter joined in with this even though not everyone joined in with all the North Stand songs.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
To answer so often mentioned atmosphere at Amex I enjoy it every game. In general like most grounds I have gone to crowd react to what entertainment is offered on the field and Amex is no different. Of course gets louder when playing well and pushing for a winner and it or bust games like play offs.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He’s right though, it’s pretty pointless if twenty fans sing a song that thousands of others don’t know.
Earlier on this thread it was mentioned that SEAGULLS, SEAGULLS isn’t chanted anymore when we get a corner, at The Goldstone it seemed like every home supporter joined in with this even though not everyone joined in with all the North Stand songs.
I think there should be a campaign to bring this back.

It should be mandatory to chant 'Seagulls, Seagulls', preferably while pointing, in the event that we get a set piece

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne

It should be mandatory to chant 'Seagulls, Seagulls', preferably while pointing, in the event that we get a set piece
Agreed. Stewards can eject non-compliers and Barber take away their Season Ticket. It will soon catch on and be magnificent.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
LOL! :lolol: But the NSK have a lot on their shoulders: singing, atmosphere, flags and now a uniform! Perhaps it’s time the other 29,900 home fans contributed too?
This. Have always considered it utterly bizarre that about 90% of the home support sit in judgement over the 10% in the NS who are somehow supposed to magic up an atmosphere for the whole stadium. Non-NS'ers might have some rosy vision of how the NS is supposed to function, but the reality is far from that rosy vision. NS, from where I sit, is full of mums and dads and kids, pensioners up to the age of 90 (seriously, just found that one out on Tuesday, bless 'im), fans heartbreakingly falling into visible ill-health, EPL tourists, and all points in between. So for anyone looking to criticise the Amex atmosphere, first take a long hard look at yourself and what YOU contribute

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
This one goes round and round and round, doesn't it?
As THPP correctly states above, the NS is a real mixture of ages: youngsters, old lags, tourists, newbies, hard core, singers, non-singers and those who often seem more interested their phones than supporting the team. We are in between the two main singing groups, though nearer the east side bunch. We'll join in with whatever gets going, and do our best to start a few songs at appropriate moments when the opportunity comes. Sometimes people join in, and it spreads. Sometimes it's a case of "We'll sing on our own ..." Ce sera sera.
Away is very much a different story mainly for the simple reason there's a higher proportion of vocal supporters, and you're all together in one section of the ground, not spread out. As GP might have said "It is what it is".
A few more people getting involved would really help. And while we love the Amex, the acoustics are weird - what you hear very much depends on where you are, and the high roofs mean we don't get amplified in the way it can work at other grounds (eg the away end at Craven Cottage). Such is life.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Telling other season ticket holders to turn up 15 minutes after kick-off probably didn't help the atmosphere on Tuesday though Jack. Blaming you solely for the lack of PASHUN showed in the WSU.
Well I couldn’t have been the only person it was a 7.45 KO

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
This one goes round and round and round, doesn't it?
As THPP correctly states above, the NS is a real mixture of ages: youngsters, old lags, tourists, newbies, hard core, singers, non-singers and those who often seem more interested their phones than supporting the team. We are in between the two main singing groups, though nearer the east side bunch. We'll join in with whatever gets going, and do our best to start a few songs at appropriate moments when the opportunity comes. Sometimes people join in, and it spreads. Sometimes it's a case of "We'll sing on our own ..." Ce sera sera.
Away is very much a different story mainly for the simple reason there's a higher proportion of vocal supporters, and you're all together in one section of the ground, not spread out. As GP might have said "It is what it is".
A few more people getting involved would really help. And while we love the Amex, the acoustics are weird - what you hear very much depends on where you are, and the high roofs mean we don't get amplified in the way it can work at other grounds (eg the away end at Craven Cottage). Such is life.
That's very good insight that and until I'd visited the NS myself for the first time to watch the spurs frustrationathon recently, (Apart from this moment of freedom without them, I always go to home games with my kids, so East normally) I assumed that the NS was populated only by our most hard core of fans. This - as written above - is not so. I was disappointed as had turned up expecting everyone to be singing like when away. I did my best but was situated in a quiet moany zone with everyone sitting down and disconnected from the west side of the north who were standing and singing. This occasionally spread - but weakly.
Paralysis by analysis.
Have concluded from this thread that there is perhaps no answer than playing exciting football and scoring goals.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
In East Upper we try and join whatever song gets going but it's less by the game recently. In the early Amex era the West Stand made a noise too but that sadly reduced over the years.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

For the Forest game there were a few Seagulls Seagulls at the couple of the corners and it made me realise it has been missing for a while.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
On this atmosphere thing i am very much in the "it's a two-way street thing" camp. I went to this game excitedly for sure but also with a fair degree of nervous trepidation as we were playing a bottom side and as a lot of posts in the matchday thread concurred we know how that often works out. So the longer the game went on without us scoring i felt the nervous side rising and the excitement falling around the ground. An early goal would have worked wonders but it didn't happen so that was that.
Now some on here would probably say that was down to me and people like me not giving enough but surely the players also have to do their bit? After all if you had been to see a famous actor in a play would it have been necessary to get the best out of him to have a rendition of "one laurence olivier there's only one laurence olivier" as he came on stage? Also several have said how great the forest away support was yet what did that get them as a result - no shots on target in the whole match!
Generally i feel that fans and players can feed off each other and sometimes the best atmospheres are spontaneous and cannot be artificially generated.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
In the west upper and i was surprised at how quiet the whole stadium was apart from the away end who made more noise throughout.
Out of curiosity, how many songs did you join in on. Or start?

Love all this finger pointing 'atmosphere is shit' stuff for pointing out how it's always other's fault whilst doing SFA themselves. Not necessarily you, but NOT ONE moaney poster has said "I tried to start a song" or "I joined in one that I could hear to get everyone around me going".

I sit in the NW corner and follow the songs coming out of the west side of the NS as that's what I hear. I only heard Forrest fans a couple of times and they were not that great until the end and they got their massive result.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Doesn’t need a campaign, just us old timers to keep doing it. The younger fans will soon get the idea.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
In East Upper we try and join whatever song gets going but it's less by the game recently. In the early Amex era the West Stand made a noise too but that sadly reduced over the years.
They’re all out of breath trying to climb up those stairs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
On this atmosphere thing i am very much in the "it's a two-way street thing" camp. I went to this game excitedly for sure but also with a fair degree of nervous trepidation as we were playing a bottom side and as a lot of posts in the matchday thread concurred we know how that often works out. So the longer the game went on without us scoring i felt the nervous side rising and the excitement falling around the ground. An early goal would have worked wonders but it didn't happen so that was that.
Now some on here would probably say that was down to me and people like me not giving enough but surely the players also have to do their bit? After all if you had been to see a famous actor in a play would it have been necessary to get the best out of him to have a rendition of "one laurence olivier there's only one laurence olivier" as he came on stage? Also several have said how great the forest away support was yet what did that get them as a result - no shots on target in the whole match!
Generally i feel that fans and players can feed off each other and sometimes the best atmospheres are spontaneous and cannot be artificially generated.
So the players "didn't do their bit" but created a lot of chances and didn't allow the opponents a shot on goal. I guess with "their bit", you mean scoring = you're not going to sing unless they score.

This is what all these atmosphere discussions come back to - the hen and the egg question.

Fans (supporters may be a bit of a big word in this case) might not sing unless things are going well and players might not perform at their best without the support of the home fans. A quiet 0-0 it is.

Seven Stars

May 4, 2013
Fiveways, Brighton
Forest fans were excellent, full credit to them because it wasn't like the team gave them much to get excited about. As for us, I expect many were worried that it would be one of those nights and its exactly what we got. Out played them but could have played all night and not scored.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Chicken and egg indeed, and we’re generally more chicken, a big factor a collective neurosis, British self-consciousness about being laughed at a factor I’m sure, unlike the NSK, who don’t care. In Italy, Hammarby FC and elsewhere the conductor of the Ultras or whoever, spend large chunks of the match not facing the action, so what happens on the pitch is arguably secondary to generating an atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here