Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere Marseille v Ajax

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This may well have been covered in other threads - apologies if so, I've not seen it - but what do those who went to Marseille and Ajax think about the respective atmospheres?

Marseille was amazing. Very possibly the best football atmosphere I've experienced.

In comparison, Ajax felt a bit flat. I really didn't hear the Ajax fans at all until something like the 75th-minute mark, and I know some Albion fans in home sections who said they couldn't hear the away section at all, and I know we were singing loudly for much of the game.

I do wonder if it's just weird stadium acoustics all round.

But, to be clear, I'm not trying to talk down the whole occasion, which was astounding in town before the game, the match itself and the post-match debrief with like-minded folk over drinks.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Thought our effort to create an atmosphere a little subdued tbh.
Yes surprisingly poor. Maybe the weather. Maybe the fact we have their number and haven't needed to get out of 2nd gear in both matches.

Marseille was on another planet.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes surprisingly poor. Maybe the weather. Maybe the fact we have their number and haven't needed to get out of 2nd gear in both matches.

Marseille was on another planet.
Evidence perhaps that our fans who travel to most away games (and thus had enough points for a ticket) aren't very good as a group at making a lot of noise?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Couldn't understand why the roof was closed ? Do the Dutch not play in the rain ?
From speaking to various folk yesterday, the match had to be played in the same conditions as available when the Albion trained at the stadium on Wednesday.

So, ahead of that, it was decided to close the roof based on the weather forecast and, once the Albion had trained with a closed roof, that meant the match had to be too.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
From speaking to various folk yesterday, the match had to be played in the same conditions as available when the Albion trained at the stadium on Wednesday.

So, ahead of that, it was decided to close the roof based on the weather forecast and, once the Albion had trained with a closed roof, that meant the match had to be too.
Makes sense to me. And it’s the same for both sides - had no bearing on the result. If anything, our inexperience playing in a closed environment would’ve benefitted Ajax.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The highlight from the Ajax fans, they showed how to probably use flags and create some atmosphere before the game.

However as is usually the case, home club brings out the flags and a defeat follows.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Evidence perhaps that our fans who travel to most away games (and thus had enough points for a ticket) aren't very good as a group at making a lot of noise?
Eh? Our away atmosphere is pretty solidly excellent! Wasn't in Amsterdam though sadly so can't comment on last night. Very hard to tell from the telly - could hear the Ajax fans a fair bit but they also seemed pretty flat, Albion fans could here most of the time the home fans went quiet

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
We were saying the same thing earlier, at Marseille the sound hit you like something physical. Last night there were flags and a bit of atmosphere before kick-off, then a bit flat from Ajax.

We were singing plenty.

Maybe partly the acoustics but even taking that into account, it was definitely no Orange Velodrome.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
From the home end (admittedly I was in the opposite corner as far as you could possibly be from the Albion fans) I didn’t hear much. “Super Rob De Zerbi”on about 15 minutes and a couple of “Al-bee-on” was about it.
The home fans were nothing special and the drum was fuckin annoying. Around us they became louder after going two down.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The highlight from the Ajax fans, they showed how to probably use flags and create some atmosphere before the game.

However as is usually the case, home club brings out the flags and a defeat follows.
It’s really important that someone emails PB and ensures we NEVER have flags again. It’s a guaranteed defeat. Have we ever won with flags?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This may well have been covered in other threads - apologies if so, I've not seen it - but what do those who went to Marseille and Ajax think about the respective atmospheres?

Marseille was amazing. Very possibly the best football atmosphere I've experienced.

In comparison, Ajax felt a bit flat. I really didn't hear the Ajax fans at all until something like the 75th-minute mark, and I know some Albion fans in home sections who said they couldn't hear the away section at all, and I know we were singing loudly for much of the game.

I do wonder if it's just weird stadium acoustics all round.

But, to be clear, I'm not trying to talk down the whole occasion, which was astounding in town before the game, the match itself and the post-match debrief with like-minded folk over drinks.
Could hear Albion loud and clear on that there telly box.

But the chant I was desperate for was Sussex by The Sea. And it came, my heart bursting with emotion.

So please make that the number one priority song on your journeys.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Atmosphere in our end yesterday was good, but not amazing. I think part of the problem was so many people had overdone it in town. Guy three seats down from me was genuinely fast asleep 🤣

The atmosphere on the concourse before the Marseille game was the best I have ever experienced at an Albion game by miles. It then got completely drowned out by the insane Marseille fans once the game started. Overall, Marseille atmosphere was better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I know this isn’t about atmosphere, but I blamed the roof for our injuries, probably irrationally. The pitch was obviously dry and the sprinklers weren’t used. I did wonder if we got studs caught in the turf. That many muscle injuries in a game is unusual.

As for atmosphere, ours was fine. Difficult sometimes to get the same song going across the three sections but good when we did. All I could hear from them was a drum, which probably drowned us out if you were in the home end.

Dam Square was loud till it started raining and we had a good old fashioned retro sing song on the Metro home, led by the WAB boys.

Without a doubt my favourite away ever by some distance. I wasn’t at Marseille though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here