Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere in 'the modern game'

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think I've remembered this correct:-

With the new deal in place ALL the Premier League sides could play in empty stadiums, and still make more money than under the previous deal.

That's VERY concerning if true.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to say I'm 90% sure.

I won't go all in on the stat, just in case there's an odd caveat lucking behind the headline.

Steve351

Aug 30, 2012
Durrington
Interviewed at the Amex shop this morning by Sky Sports about this exact subject. The wife had a right go about what's happening with the team, manager and the atmosphere.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How is it clueless to state the FACT that The Amex has generally been MUCH louder than the Goldstone was, thus disproving the point of the article in relation to Brighton?

Actually answer the points raised, rather than giving a short, childish response.
It think it can be explained by the fact that the Goldstone was open and the crowds at the Amex have been significantly higher. Even sitting down 25,000 people should be able to make more noise that 10,000, especially given the better acoustics.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

The last deal meant £14m more per club per year, so for a lot of the Prem that is more than their gate receipts for the year. That is extrapolating from BHAFCs 'ticketing, commercial and retail sales [at] £14.3m'. The next deal is up for negotiation soon and expected to rise from £3bn to over £4bn. The fact that our club wants to put up the ticket prices if we ever do reach the Prem is disgusting, in light of these figures.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I watched a bit of the villa v spurs game yesterday and apart from the odd chant it could well have been a game down preston park on a sunday morning atmosphere wise , cant really remember the last away ground i visited and the home support were that loud .

Derby in the playoffs....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It think it can be explained by the fact that the Goldstone was open and the crowds at the Amex have been significantly higher. Even sitting down 25,000 people should be able to make more noise that 10,000, especially given the better acoustics.

Absolutely. A lot of people seem to still remember the Goldstone as being louder though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd just like the club to be at the forefront of any safe standing/beer on the terraces/affordable pricing campaigns that would improve the whole Amex experience about 5 fold.

But please, can we not keep harping back to how the Goldstone was a packed, seething mass of frenzied uberfan creating a cauldron of noise? It really wasn't. We got promoted in 1987/8, off the back of Sir Garry Nelson's 589 goals, possibly the best season we had there after relegation from division one in 1983. Our highest league gate was 19,800 (and that was only because we needed to win to go up) and our average gate was 8,900. And this was BEFORE huge swathes of it were shut down in a state of total disrepair. A couple of years later and it really wasn't fit for purpose.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sitting down will never help the atmosphere.

Sitting down came about following the Taylor Report

The Taylor Report was based on a conspiracy of lies by dozens of corrupt OB.

Tear up the Taylor Report. Tear up the seats in the North Stand. Bingo!!

Except that that nice Mr Barber refuses to even consider joining the safe-standing campaign. IMO he has no right to complain about the lack of noise / atmosphere if he isn't prepared to consider a way to improve it.

To be fair, the noise from the North Stand has been pretty good recently...at least for the first 30-45 mins. But when the players aren't putting in the effort there does come a point when I think "stuff it. I'll sit down and read the paper"!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Further to these TV deal figures these are the amounts for each of the major leagues:

Premier League: €2bn per year
Ligue 1: €127.5m per year
Bundesliga: €625m per year
La Liga: Rights sold on an individual club basis Real/Barca believed to get around €180m per year
Serie A: €943m per year

So we could afford to cut prices by 25% across the board and still have far greater revenues than our European cousins. Football in this country will eat itself eventually, unless we as fans stand up for ourselves as one, across all teams and divisions.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sitting down will never help the atmosphere.

Sitting down came about following the Taylor Report

The Taylor Report was based on a conspiracy of lies by dozens of corrupt OB.

Tear up the Taylor Report. Tear up the seats in the North Stand. Bingo!!

Except that that nice Mr Barber refuses to even consider joining the safe-standing campaign. IMO he has no right to complain about the lack of noise / atmosphere if he isn't prepared to consider a way to improve it.

To be fair, the noise from the North Stand has been pretty good recently...at least for the first 30-45 mins. But when the players aren't putting in the effort there does come a point when I think "stuff it. I'll sit down and read the paper"!!

Again though we just meekly accepted it. We have all known for years that safe standing is the answer but do we as football fans campaign and protest until we get it? No, of course we don't we just grumble about it and carry on as we are. The German fans got what they wanted because they campaigned hard, refused to go to games and protested.

Blame Barber all you want but it is the politicians (and by definition those of us who let them get elected) that are at fault here, not one Championship chief executive. You want standing at football? Write to your MP, join the FSF safe standing campaign refuse to sit down and shut up, but please do not bring Paul Barber in to it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Many would rather eat pizza and look at their phones. They'd rather be doing something else other than focusing on the football'

Is football becoming the new cricket? Only been to cricket a couple of times but there's always somebody sat there engrossed in their Times crossword and they only look up after the wicket has fallen. Could never work that one out. Why go?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Putting aside safe standing and beer in the stands, which ain't going to happen any time soon, if ever. Letting fans stand up next to their seat will help but to do this you need to accept that some fans who don’t want to stand up will need to be moved.

Reduce ticket prices but in particular for 18-25 year olds would help. These tend to be the fans that are most likely to be the most boisterous but are being priced out of attending by being classed as a full paying adult.

Most important is being open to new ideas and admitting that even if some of them fail, it is better than doing nothing. In fact, the most important thing is for the clubs to want to do something about the atmosphere which I’m not convinced that they are. Spurs fans tried to do something about the awful atmosphere (2nd worst in the PL according to the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...eague-grounds-by-Jim-White.html?frame=3093743) but the club wouldn’t let them.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Look who is number 1.

1 Crystal Palace
Selhurst is home to easily the best atmosphere in the division. Driven by the black-clad gathering of radicals in the Holmesdale End, who maintain a relentless barrage of supportive chants throughout, Palace matches are played out to a constant drum-beat.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Look who is number 1.

1 Crystal Palace
Selhurst is home to easily the best atmosphere in the division. Driven by the black-clad gathering of radicals in the Holmesdale End, who maintain a relentless barrage of supportive chants throughout, Palace matches are played out to a constant drum-beat.

A club whos owners don't force fans in the stand behind the goal to sit down.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
A club whos owners don't force fans in the stand behind the goal to sit down.

When it first started about 10 years ago, The stewards did try there was also leaflets left on the seats telling them to sit down and announcements on the tanoy .

But in the end because of the numbers involved they just relented as it was less trouble to leave them standing....if a group of BHA fans got together with the same determination the club would have to relent or lose the fans!!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Again though we just meekly accepted it. We have all known for years that safe standing is the answer but do we as football fans campaign and protest until we get it? No, of course we don't we just grumble about it and carry on as we are. The German fans got what they wanted because they campaigned hard, refused to go to games and protested.

The German fans did what? :D

Unlike the UK, Germany never banned standing at football grounds, Indeed there is still plenty of terracing still in use over there. Safe standing was introduced as a solution for German teams playing in European matches where all seater stadiums were a requirement for all teams playing in the competition,

So no the German fans didn't campaign hard, refuse to go to games or protest in order to get safe standing introduced. :blush:

Any campaigning is against any future changes in arrangements.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Let's face it, the game has changed. You will never get the same kind of atmosphere in all-seater stadiums, but it is because of all-seater stadiums that more women and families attend games.

And there is no doubt that the atmosphere is very much influenced by how the team is playing. If the team is serving up the kind of dross we have been "enjoying" this season, then the atmosphere will be flat. Goals and victories get the crowd going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here