Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere for Athens

I don't know about that incident, but what I do know is the Ajax fans were given a mauling by the AEK fans at a tie not so long ago. The sort of stuff that would have been headlines for days here.
This is what I mean. Just because their views are similar to ours, yes I am
liberal (centre), doesn’t mean we should be all lovey. It is a bit cringe and their fans are pretty bad re behaviour so I think in this case, its a no. As much as I really detest ANYONE dying at football. It should NEVER happen, no matter who the team is. Anyway, if people want to do them banners, then great.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Not everything in life is a class war but it’s true that Original 21 are very left wing and have an alliance with St Pauli and (get your keyboards ready conspiracy theorists) one of Marseille’s left wing ultra groups.

If they research us - which they won’t- they’ll find a lot of left wing politics in Brighton and the NSK certainly closer to St Pauli than, say, Lazio. If they go deeper they’ll also find we’ve also got some mind numbingly thick Brexiteers and lots of county set Sussex types in red trousers who think football should be run just like rugger.

I say invite them to The Albert and keep them there.
Oh FFS.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can’t wait to see it when you’ve finished it, bet it’s be miles long.
εκφράζουν την αλληλεγγύη τους στους οπαδούς της ΑΕΚ μετά την επίθεση εναντίον οπαδών έξω από το γήπεδό τους πριν από δύο εβδομάδες από Κροάτες και Έλληνες φασίστες που άφησε ένα άτομο νεκρό και δεκάδες τραυματίες.

Something like that.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You might be right about the latest violence. What was the explanation for their 2 year ban from European football in 2019? That was in the old stadium. Hopefully this new one is more secure.

There is a backstory to this -

The night before the match the Ajax Ultras (about 200) joined with the Panathinaikos Ultras (about 60 of them - the ones linked to Golden Dawn that armed the Croatian fascists a couple of weeks ago) and attacked an AEK supporters clubhouse hurling rocks and petrol bombs at the roughly 150 supporters at the clubhouse. A full-scale riot ensued - far, far worse than what happened in the stadium. What happened the following day was a continuation of the night before. Should it have happened - no - but the AEK supporters face a constant threat from fascist attacks in Greece - some retaliation is inevitable when the cops fail to act (or are actually complicit in the attacks). PAOK are also a left-wing club based in Thessaloniki - and their supporters have also faced attacks from Golden Dawn. The fascists have targeted Olympiakos for a take-over of fans clubs, facilitated by the club's administration adopting a 'see no evil' approach.

This is a common feature of football in the wider region. In Turkey - the fascist Grey Wolves make up the Galatasaray Ultras - while Fenerbache is left-wing club in Istanbul - regular clashes take place, with the Grey Wolves being facilitated and supported by the Turkish police. Croatia is notorious for promoting far-right supporters clubs - the only football club in Croatia with an anti-fascist profile is NK Zagreb, a club that has been systematically discriminated against by the Croatian FA. The NK Ultras are known as the White Angels and they regularly face attacks from fascists, with opposition to homophobia being the catalyst for the fascists. The White Angels work at grassroots level attempting to promote anti-fascism among amateur clubs.

Also - AEK weren't banned - they were given a suspended ban, ordered to play their next two European games behind closed doors and fined €70,000. Ajax were also charged and fined.

As an addendum - the AEK supporter who was murdered was named Michalis Katsouris.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

The night before the match the Ajax Ultras (about 200) joined with the Panathinaikos Ultras (about 60 of them - the ones linked to Golden Dawn that armed the Croatian fascists a couple of weeks ago) and attacked an AEK supporters clubhouse hurling rocks and petrol bombs at the roughly 150 supporters at the clubhouse. A full-scale riot ensued - far, far worse than what happened in the stadium. What happened the following day was a continuation of the night before. Should it have happened - no - but the AEK supporters face a constant threat from fascist attacks in Greece - some retaliation is inevitable when the cops fail to act (or are actually complicit in the attacks). PAOK are also a left-wing club based in Thessaloniki - and their supporters have also faced attacks from Golden Dawn. The fascists have targeted Olympiakos for a take-over of fans clubs, facilitated by the club's administration adopting a 'see no evil' approach.

This is a common feature of football in the wider region. In Turkey - the fascist Grey Wolves make up the Galatasaray Ultras - while Fenerbache is left-wing club in Istanbul - regular clashes take place, with the Grey Wolves being facilitated and supported by the Turkish police. Croatia is notorious for promoting far-right supporters clubs - the only football club in Croatia with an anti-fascist profile is NK Zagreb, a club that has been systematically discriminated against by the Croatian FA. The NK Ultras are known as the White Angels and they regularly face attacks from fascists, with opposition to homophobia being the catalyst for the fascists. The White Angels work at grassroots level attempting to promote anti-fascism among amateur clubs.

Also - AEK weren't banned - they were given a suspended ban, ordered to play their next two European games behind closed doors and fined €70,000. Ajax were also charged and fined.

As an addendum - the AEK supporter who was murdered was named Michalis Katsouris.
You seem to have a political agenda here when I think most people just want to get excited about creating a lot of noise for the actual football match — y'know, the thing at the centre of all this.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Yes, I missed out the word ‘suspended’ (which I typed originally but somehow deleted). It’s right there in the headline. Not sure it makes much difference.

I feel really sorry for them now. They obviously don’t like a punch-up at all. I can see that throwing a petrol bomb inside a stadium is a totally rational response.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
This also. I can’t stand all this political crap in the game. Bar anti racism and LGBT, which is more just common sense, rest can f off.
Well it's nice you agree those two things should be universal. Shame you can't feel the same about anti-fascism, though I appreciate the trend nationally and globally is for more fascism.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You seem to have a political agenda here when I think most people just want to get excited about creating a lot of noise for the actual football match — y'know, the thing at the centre of all this.
I don’t think he’s trying to shove a political agenda down your throat… he’s trying to shed some further light to people on the binding forces behind these various European ultras groups.

The reason he is doing it is that plenty on NSC will have assumed that all of these ultras groups are far right fascist types (and got very wet and excited at the prospect) as evidenced by this thread and that’s not actually the case at all.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I know this story, saw something on TV, but thought it was someone called Cyrus that was murdered?

The warriorieos were wrongly accused and then had to make it back home to Coneyonous Islandos……via violent confrontations with amongst others the Turnballeos ACs, the baseball fureos and the Orphenos. When they finally made it back home they had one last confrontation Luther and the Rogues.

After that everything was cool…….but I will certainly listen out for the clinking bottles.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree plus the notion that you have to be left wing to be anti racism is a joke , two of the racist people I know are left wing .
Have either of them ever been deselected as a council candidate for blatant Islamophobia on the internet?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Not everything in life is a class war but it’s true that Original 21 are very left wing and have an alliance with St Pauli and (get your keyboards ready conspiracy theorists) one of Marseille’s left wing ultra groups.

If they research us - which they won’t- they’ll find a lot of left wing politics in Brighton and the NSK certainly closer to St Pauli than, say, Lazio. If they go deeper they’ll also find we’ve also got some mind numbingly thick Brexiteers and lots of county set Sussex types in red trousers who think football should be run just like rugger.

I say invite them to The Albert and keep them there.
What a horrible, bitter post. You're playing to the crowd on here I know, but I think this says more about you than any 'thick' Brexiteer.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here