Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere for Athens

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

I would suggest that it would be appropriate for fans in the Amex to unfurl a banner to express solidarity with the AEK fans after the attack on fans outside their stadium a couple of weeks ago by Croatian and Greek fascists which left one person dead and dozens injured.

https://www.dw.com/en/greece-seeks-answers-after-deadly-soccer-fan-violence/a-66516279
Eerrrr their fams are very violent, horrific that it is someone from their side died, there is no smoke without fire. Also, if we are to make some kind of an atmosphere a La Sheff Wed, we CANNOT be all friendly and nice. Needs to be a cauldron if NOISE.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Personally, I think that has been beaten a couple of times. The Wigan promotion game being the first.
Wigan was certainly a joyous occasion but in terms of backing for the team Sheff Wed was the loudest I have seen at the Amex. It probably had something to do with the feeling that we had little chance after the 1st leg and it was a match too far for that team after the exertions at Boro. Obviously I haven’t been in a couple of years and from what I’ve read on here Chelsea last year and night games against Man U may have been louder. It always helps to be winning against detested opposition. No reason to hate Athens (yet, :) ).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wigan was certainly a joyous occasion but in terms of backing for the team Sheff Wed was the loudest I have seen at the Amex. It probably had something to do with the feeling that we had little chance after the 1st leg and it was a match too far for that team after the exertions at Boro. Obviously I haven’t been in a couple of years and from what I’ve read on here Chelsea last year and night games against Man U may have been louder. It always helps to be winning against detested opposition. No reason to hate Athens (yet, :) )
No - the Chelsea and United games were INCREDIBLE, but you've still missed nothing to top that SW play-off game.

I've never experienced anything quite like it.

Massive SW fan, David Blunkett - a man obviously with a heightened appreciation of sound levels / acoustics, etc, himself stated that HE had never experienced anything quite like it.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Eerrrr their fams are very violent, horrific that it is someone from their side died, there is no smoke without fire. Also, if we are to make some kind of an atmosphere a La Sheff Wed, we CANNOT be all friendly and nice. Needs to be a cauldron if NOISE.
This is bullsh*t -

AEK Athens were founded by refugees from WW1 in the aftermath of the war. Their supporters are left-wing and they regularly protest against racism, homophobia, xenophobia and the far-right.

One of the most violent fascist movements today are the Greek Golden Dawn - they have a history of violent attacks against refugees, the LGBTQ+ community, people of colour, and those on the political left - including the murder of hugely popular anti-fascist rapper Pavlos Fyssas ten years ago.

When the game between AEK and Dinamo Zagreb was announced UEFA banned away fans from Croatia attending the game. the Croatian fascists - the ultras at Zagreb contacted Golden Dawn members linked to Panathinaikos. More than 100 Croatian fascists travelled by car to Athens. The Greek border police were warned that the fascists intended to attack AEK supporters - but let the Croatians through border security (the Greek police are noted for having close links with Golden Dawn). When they arrived in Athens the Croatian fascists were armed by Golden Dawn with clubs, iron bars, knives and hammers - and then, with some Golden Dawn members, they went to the AEK stadium and launched an indiscriminate attack on AEK supporters waiting for the game. They ploughed through the crowd hitting anyone within reach - stabbing one man to death and injuring scores of people, putting ten people in hospital.

The Greek police facilitated this attack and only after a massive outcry against the failures of the police did they move to arrest anyone - 105 in total - 102 of them Croatian fascists (and some reports suggest that the 3 Greeks were members of Golden Dawn). So great was the backlash against the police who facilitated this attack that the Greek government were forced to remove seven senior police officers from their positions within the Greek police (they haven't been sacked yet).

This was a planned, violent, indiscriminate attack by Croatian and Greek fascists, facilitated by the police, against innocent AEK supporters. In my opinion the very least that should happen is that fans at the game should express their solidarity with the AEK supporters who travel to Brighton and condemn the actions of the fascists and the Greek police.

I am not suggesting that the fans at the game are 'friendly and nice' - I am suggesting that some display of solidarity before the game would be a positive gesture. Put the shoe on the other foot - imagine that Dinamo Zagreb were playing at the Amex and the Croatian fascists targeted Brighton fans because they know there is a large LGBTQ+ community in Brighton. They arrived in Brighton, were armed by British fascists, and indiscriminately attacked hundreds of Brighton fans outside the Amex, killing one and injuring dozens. I guarantee you that if Brighton ended up playing AEK in Athens the AEK fans would have huge banners in the stadium condemning the attack and expressing solidarity with Brighton supporters.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is bullsh*t -

AEK Athens were founded by refugees from WW1 in the aftermath of the war. Their supporters are left-wing and they regularly protest against racism, homophobia, xenophobia and the far-right.

One of the most violent fascist movements today are the Greek Golden Dawn - they have a history of violent attacks against refugees, the LGBTQ+ community, people of colour, and those on the political left - including the murder of hugely popular anti-fascist rapper Pavlos Fyssas ten years ago.

When the game between AEK and Dinamo Zagreb was announced UEFA banned away fans from Croatia attending the game. the Croatian fascists - the ultras at Zagreb contacted Golden Dawn members linked to Panathinaikos. More than 100 Croatian fascists travelled by car to Athens. The Greek border police were warned that the fascists intended to attack AEK supporters - but let the Croatians through border security (the Greek police are noted for having close links with Golden Dawn). When they arrived in Athens the Croatian fascists were armed by Golden Dawn with clubs, iron bars, knives and hammers - and then, with some Golden Dawn members, they went to the AEK stadium and launched an indiscriminate attack on AEK supporters waiting for the game. They ploughed through the crowd hitting anyone within reach - stabbing one man to death and injuring scores of people, putting ten people in hospital.

The Greek police facilitated this attack and only after a massive outcry against the failures of the police did they move to arrest anyone - 105 in total - 102 of them Croatian fascists (and some reports suggest that the 3 Greeks were members of Golden Dawn). So great was the backlash against the police who facilitated this attack that the Greek government were forced to remove seven senior police officers from their positions within the Greek police (they haven't been sacked yet).

This was a planned, violent, indiscriminate attack by Croatian and Greek fascists, facilitated by the police, against innocent AEK supporters. In my opinion the very least that should happen is that fans at the game should express their solidarity with the AEK supporters who travel to Brighton and condemn the actions of the fascists and the Greek police.

I am not suggesting that the fans at the game are 'friendly and nice' - I am suggesting that some display of solidarity before the game would be a positive gesture. Put the shoe on the other foot - imagine that Dinamo Zagreb were playing at the Amex and the Croatian fascists targeted Brighton fans because they know there is a large LGBTQ+ community in Brighton. They arrived in Brighton, were armed by British fascists, and indiscriminately attacked hundreds of Brighton fans outside the Amex, killing one and injuring dozens. I guarantee you that if Brighton ended up playing AEK in Athens the AEK fans would have huge banners in the stadium condemning the attack and expressing solidarity with Brighton supporters.
...and this is why the thread IS political. AEK are like a Greek St Pauli.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I would suggest that it would be appropriate for fans in the Amex to unfurl a banner to express solidarity with the AEK fans after the attack on fans outside their stadium a couple of weeks ago which left one person dead and dozens injured.
I second this, R.I.P. 🙏

EDIT: However, I wouldn't like this banner to be political.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This is bullsh*t -

You might be right about the latest violence. What was the explanation for their 2 year ban from European football in 2019? That was in the old stadium. Hopefully this new one is more secure.

This is bullsh*t -

Re last bit, fair enough.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is bullsh*t -

I don't know about that incident, but what I do know is the Ajax fans were given a mauling by the AEK fans at a tie not so long ago. The sort of stuff that would have been headlines for days here.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here